Crankshaft bolt???

Mudrunner

Adventurer
So I was checking my A/C system this morning since I was in temp range for using my gauge, (less than 85) and I noticed that my crankshaft pulleys/vibe dampener looked to be wobbling.

So I was wondering what you guys think? I am worried about a loose Crank bolt on the 3.5L or are the pulleys bolted on so that maybe they are just loose?

Let me know what you all think I will be looking over the FSM to find out. But you guys have the knowledge more than a book can tell me.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
So it appears the FSM doesn't cover the 3.5L in the sport. So my next question is are they the same motor as the 3.0L just a different bore? So I am kinds stuck at this point, any help would be greatly appreciated.

cjm

Adventurer
go to 4x4wire.....tons of info on the crankshaft bolt. I believe its held in place with a pin. 3.0 use a key

off-roader

Expedition Leader
For any tech info, i'd check the wire before anyplace else other than my FSM. A lot of folks don't like it but it's the best resource out there right now.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Thanks everyone I think I have the information I need. Still not 100% sure I have the updated bolt, but It might also be the damper so like I said I will have to look at it closer today.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
It is hard to tell if yours is the latest or not but a new bolt is fairly inexpensive which IMHO is worth just buying and changing out the old one just for the peace of mind.:smiley_drive:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
When that happened to my old 96, it was terminal. It is a common problem on these engines. Had it repaired but it came off again on a trip to the Grand Canyon. Dealer in Tucson fixed it with updated factory parts for a 1000.00, but said it wouldn't hold forever, so they wouldn't warranty the repair. The snout on the crank bent a little because of the wobble as well. It's a design flaw which Mitsubishi never successfully solved, at least up to the time I sold mine in 2008. Truck was also burning a lot of oil at only 136K after having the dealer install new valve stem seals, so I finally had enough of sinking money into it and cut my losses. Otherwise I thought it was a great truck.

David

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yup, the problem there David is the dealership. I would have complained to your local dealership and if they didn't do anything, then I'd have gone directly to Mitsu corporate and ask to speak with their regional manager.

But then again, I've had no real issues w/ my Mitsu that have really worried me. About the worst I'll have to deal with would be the valve guide seals but that's fine. They need changing every 120-140k. Can be done without removing the head. One of these days I may even get off my lazy behind and learn how to do them myself.

As for the bolt, I simply upgrade to the latest bolt design for each timing belt change as a precaution, just like changing tensioners each time. Cheap insurance.:ylsmoke:

Mudrunner

Adventurer
The timing belt was changed not too long ago. But I will have to take off the belts and see what it wobbling. I have read a few guys on the Sport forum have run into a problem of the rubber that is part of the assembly wears out. So I will have to check both things. I don't know if the full size ones have the same problem with the rubber wearing out, or not. But I agree fixing parts like water pump and tensioners when ever you do a project like timing belts is always a smart move.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
As a point of reference that bolt today is $7.17 +S&H for my 96SR from Korum Mitsubishi aka http://www.MitsubishiParts.com (shipping is more than the part itself LOL). A local dealer should be able to get it for less or at least come close in price... so again consider it a preventative maintenance item each time you do your timing belt.

shov3lbum

Adventurer
Another point of reference, there is clearly an old bolt design and a new bolt design. Should have been taken care of by the current owner during the recall period (luckily mine was) since it was a free service at the time (still should be technically, but the dealer can refuse).

dsc06183.jpg
Source: http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1146915&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Top is old design that loosens over time, bottom is new design that so far has proven to be a good one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles