1998 Montero Build Thread

piercemontero

Hey everyone!

This is my first time posting and I am new to the world of Overlanding. I found myself a nice 1998 Mitsubishi Montero with the winter package. It has 152,000 miles and runs great. I feel like I stole it for $4000!

Right now the vehicle is pretty much stock but I have some ideas that I will be working on over the next few weeks. I intend to lose the running boards, and put on some BFG 31' A/T's. This is my daily driver and
I am tight on cash so the project will be slow but hopefully steady.

I hope to update as new changes are made. Can't begin to tell you how excited I am to get to work!

8748274022_699abcb4b0.jpg

8748271566_e80c136092.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Nice truck, good price, looks like its in great condition! I just got one similar. Judging by the architecture and flora in that photo, I assume you are on the east coast?

piercemontero

New Tires

The upgrades and changes have been coming quick but I really want to document the Monty as it is evolving. I am doing this build on a pretty tight budget but have had some great luck so far! I have a friend who swapped out his barely used (10% wear) BFG A/T 31x10.50x15's for some 33 M/T's on his Wrangler, so he cut me an awesome deal on 5 barley used tires for $250! Definitely helps to beef up the look! This photo is right after returning from tire balancing and a once over. Thankfully, the mechanic advised there were no issues to be concerned about outside of a minor oil leak. I may end up taking her in to have the Valve Cover Gaskets checked.

8871129434_d4d044f9c0_z.jpg

Next step is removing the running boards and mud flaps, then thanks to the inspiration of another post, Monstaliner on the plastic corner bumpers and the bottom of the two tone. This project is keeping me busy!

DESTRO

Mountain Warrior
I started with the exact same model year and color combo.. It had 100k miles, all wrking bells & whistles, in dash dvd/stereo/bluetooth, and good condition in & out for $5.5k. I hope you have as much fun customizing yours as I am with mine.. Good luck finding a grill guard or respectable bullbars for It that don't cost nearly 1/3 what you paid for the truck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles