lr4 on 33" tires

jonxsanford

What year is the lr4? I'm having rubbing issues on my 2013 with compomotive 18" and any tire all the way down to a 265/60 on a piece of metal that is coming out into the wheel well.

Avslash

Observer
What year is the lr4? I'm having rubbing issues on my 2013 with compomotive 18" and any tire all the way down to a 265/60 on a piece of metal that is coming out into the wheel well.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Those are affectionately known as the "frame horns" Cut-off wheel, or cutting torch, and then a welder is what you need. Many of us here have had them surgically removed.

I ran 265/65R18 for a couple years with 18" wheels and they definitely rubbed at full lock. Just a bit, but it was there.

jonxsanford

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Those are affectionately known as the "frame horns" Cut-off wheel, or cutting torch, and then a welder is what you need. Many of us here have had them surgically removed.

I ran 265/65R18 for a couple years with 18" wheels and they definitely rubbed at full lock. Just a bit, but it was there.

Haha I know I know. I didn't even think anyone would see my post. Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I have an apt at my fab shop to get them chopped and re welded. Do you have an idea how much is a safe amount to remove?

zelatore

Explorer
You can basically remove as much as you want. On the earlier trucks they were simple bolt-ons that you could remove entirely. I won't go into the mod list for bigger tires as it's been covered many times, but if you can't find what you need give me a shout. I've done a few and currently run 33s on my LR3. No rocket science, just a nip here; tuck there.

jonxsanford

You can basically remove as much as you want. On the earlier trucks they were simple bolt-ons that you could remove entirely. I won't go into the mod list for bigger tires as it's been covered many times, but if you can't find what you need give me a shout. I've done a few and currently run 33s on my LR3. No rocket science, just a nip here; tuck there.
Ahh thank you very much! Appreciate the help! There's a good chance you might hear from me again! Haha

apex944

Tribute to Floda (Adi Rover).
Like many of you I found the Austrian's Disco 4 to be one if not the nicest Disco/LR 4 examples I had ever seen.
So when it was time for me to change cars I knew exactly what I needed to do.

1522436104664.png

Presenting: "Project Floda".
My intention is to build a replica of the vehicle that started this thread with just a few tweaks to suit me better.

1522435105853.png1522436144326.png

I started with a 2013 LR4 HSE LUX. Took a little while to find one with a black (no wood) interior.
The first step was to replace the 19" 'city wheels' with a set of Satin Black Compomotives.
I dont get the opportunity to do much hardcore off-roading (have a D2 for that) so I settled for the tire that most have found to fit without major issues.
The 265/65-18 BFG KO2 dont rub except at maximum lock and even then just barely. Once the wheel spacers go on and the IIDTool lift is in place I dont expect any rubbing.

Here is the plan:

Stage 1 Mods (✓=complete)
✓ 265/65 18 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO2
✓ Satin Black Compomotive PD1881 Q 8×18
✓ Front Light Guards
✓ Black Discovery Rear Badge
✓ White rear window vinyl (perforated)
✓ Full Rubber floor mats Front/Rear and Cargo area
- 25mm (1") wheel spacers
- Rear Light Guards
- Electronic Suspension Lift
- Matt Black Wheel Arches
- Matt Black "DISCOVERY 4" & V8 Rear Badges

Stage 2 Mods
- Front skid plate - What kind did Floda have?
- ProSpeed Roof Rack
- ProSpeed Disco 4 Rear Ladder
- Matt Black Front Grille
- Matt Black L319 Side Vent Grilles
- Hidden Winch

1522436588115.png

iowalr4

Adventurer
Finlayforprez also had one of the nicest setups on a D4 I've still seen. Good start on the compos

Finlayforprez's 2013 LR4 was the inspiration for mine. He used a different roof rack and rear bumper I think, but I liked the white with the ARB (I went with the newer Summit, but its similar to the Deluxe) and the tactical sliders and compos. He told me he is considering selling his LR4. Whoever buys it better be cool.

All I can recall about the commercial talked about was it had larger tires with a crazy EAS lift. Looks great, but I wonder how practical it is. Sure doesn't ride as nice all pumped up like that. (Don't get me started on lift rods). It did have a snorkel, which I could go either way on. I'll take a 5.0L over a snorkel.

iowalr4

Adventurer
Tribute to Floda (Adi Rover).

Stage 1 Mods (✓=complete)
✓ 265/65 18 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO2
✓ Satin Black Compomotive PD1881 Q 8×18
✓ Front Light Guards
✓ Black Discovery Rear Badge
✓ White rear window vinyl (perforated)
✓ Full Rubber floor mats Front/Rear and Cargo area
- 25mm (1") wheel spacers
- Rear Light Guards
- Electronic Suspension Lift
- Matt Black Wheel Arches
- Matt Black "DISCOVERY 4" & V8 Rear Badges

Stage 2 Mods
- Front skid plate - What kind did Floda have?
- ProSpeed Roof Rack
- ProSpeed Disco 4 Rear Ladder
- Matt Black Front Grille
- Matt Black L319 Side Vent Grilles
- Hidden Winch

Why the wheel spacers? just looks?

The front skid plate looks like a mantec factory skid, right?

apex944

Why the wheel spacers? just looks?
The front skid plate looks like a mantec factory skid, right?

I'm not a big fan of spacers either, but they should help with tire clearance against the frame at full lock.
Also gives some more track width. You loose a bit with the suspension lift. (down side of a-arms)

The Mantec has 4 slots on each side of the towing eye. Floda's had 5 plus was shaped a bit differently. The front lip rode higher up the bumper cover in the center.
Not a big deal really.

iowalr4

Adventurer
I'm not a big fan of spacers either, but they should help with tire clearance against the frame at full lock.
Also gives some more track width. You loose a bit with the suspension lift. (down side of a-arms)

The Mantec has 4 slots on each side of the towing eye. Floda's had 5 plus was shaped a bit differently. The front lip rode higher up the bumper cover in the center.
Not a big deal really.

I run 265/65R18 on compos also. The ET44 offset takes care of some of that fitment issue. I only slightly rub the frame horns on full lock. I moved the driver side wire harness also, but I don't think I rubbed it much. It probably does look good with a bit more, but the nice thing about having them tucked is less mud on the sides of the vehicle. It's also probably better for the wheel bearings. ;)

apex944

the nice thing about having them tucked is less mud on the sides of the vehicle.

Yup. Which is why I'd like to find some Defender like mud flaps.

1522720266744.png

Anyone sell anything like this that would work on the Disco 4? I'd be fine with some heavy modification to make them work.

1522720351746.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior