255/100/16 interested?

Pokey

Adventurer
Im trying to guage everyones interest in a 255/100/16 MT tire?

This will be an 8 ply- DOT rated Michelin XZL type tread/tire.

Should measure to a true skinny 36.0" and fit up to a few inch lift with alot less rubbing issues and little trimming and have a fairly similarly light steering feel as other skinny tires.

These will not be retreads and should wear similar to other big brand MTs without the "out of round" qualities of an Interco.

this is just a "feeler" thread to guage interest.

obviously price is a big factor for most people- so for hypothetical reason to guage interest lets say $200-$250each is a range. (which should be fairly competitive given the cost of 35s and 37s these days.)

My main interest is that i figure i can sell off all my spacer sets for my 40 and 80 along with rims with less backspacing bought to bandaid the width issues of 12.5" tires........and pretty much pay for half a set of tires right outa the gate.
also id love to get back to stock steelies on the 40 and maintain that tall skinny look but have a bit more height than a 33.(the only tall skinny option thats not a bias ply or an interco wobbler) for the 80s- id love to stay low lift and run the bombproof forged oem alloys vs abandoning for rims of different backspacing or spacers and trimming/sawzall options.

Viggen

Just here...
What about stability? Thin and too tall makes for too much sidewall to be stable...

I had 255/85s on my D1 and at lower pressures, like 20 or so (off road), they were extremely squishy and squirmy.

coax

Adventurer
I had always thought a 285/85/16 tire would be the the hot ticket for an 80. A bit shorter, a bit wider. I briefly considered going to 18's to get a 285/75/18 MTR but it is somewhat cost prohibitive. I think going to a true 36 (255/100/16) would be a bit too tall for my setup. Plus the slightly narrower tread wouldn't do quite as well in the sand when fully loaded. Good luck with whatever you are planning though, more options are always a good thing!

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I would be all over this tire...for a bit less than the $375 ea on ebay that is.
At $200-$250ea, well I would buy 5 no problem.
Lots of us with older rigs can fit a taller tire as long as it is skinny, too bad that is tough to find now days.

I currently run a 255/85/16 BFG M/T and always wish it was a bit taller vs lifting my rig any more (since that doesn't help axle clearance)

Feel free to add me to your pm list when things get closer or you are ready to sell a few and get feedback.

Oh and for the sand issue mentioned above....well there is plenty of historic data that shows how well the 9r16 size did in sand and mud with its long caterpillar like pattern.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Yup, count me in as interested . . .
I'd sure like to talk to someone who has experience with these XZL copies, however.
Need a tall, skinny tire of that diameter due to gearing.

Containerized

Adventurer
Given that the Michelin XZL is more than twice that if bought new ($600-$800 per tire in 255/100R16), I'd question why you're wanting to manufacture these or thinking you can do it at a reasonable price.

There is already a firm in China that makes a copy of the XZL that has most of the advantages (one of the XZL's biggest advantages is that it is a radial tire, versus Swampers and other tires that are poorly-balanced and not great in terms of on-road manners). The Yellowsea tires, however, do not feature the XZL's sidewall steel banding and are not as well-made. But they fill this need for people who really want 255/100R16 tires with an XZL-like tread pattern but who are on a budget.

I say this as someone who just bought five brand new XZL's in 255/100R16 and happily paid a lot for them - they're great tires. But, if I cared about price, I would not have bought them; I could have bought fifteen KM2's for the same price.

Here are the Chinese XZL knockoffs: http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/yellow-sea-255%2f100r16.html

(not endorsing these Chinese copies in any way - I've been a big fan of Michelins for years and wouldn't run "knockoff" tires, as this seems like a stupid place to save money to me... but, to each his own...).

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Agreed ! ! !

That is a good price range for such a tire.

For others who thought the OP meant making tires, what I think he meant was ordering a container full as the outfit on eBay has done. They also posted on CL and I made mention of it here : http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...T81-s-on-20-quot-wheels?p=1289489#post1289489

Again, I'd really like to hear of some experience with these tires, before going further. As I understand it they are used on military vehicles over there, but that doesn't mean much either...

I would be all over this tire...for a bit less than the $375 ea on ebay that is.
At $200-$250ea, well I would buy 5 no problem.
Lots of us with older rigs can fit a taller tire as long as it is skinny, too bad that is tough to find now days.

<snip>

Feel free to add me to your pm list when things get closer or you are ready to sell a few and get feedback.

Oh and for the sand issue mentioned above....well there is plenty of historic data that shows how well the 9r16 size did in sand and mud with its long caterpillar like pattern.

DMOZ

I had always thought a 285/85/16 tire would be the the hot ticket for an 80. A bit shorter, a bit wider. I briefly considered going to 18's to get a 285/75/18 MTR but it is somewhat cost prohibitive. I think going to a true 36 (255/100/16) would be a bit too tall for my setup. Plus the slightly narrower tread wouldn't do quite as well in the sand when fully loaded. Good luck with whatever you are planning though, more options are always a good thing!

I would be all over a 285/85/16 if someone made it AND it was readily available across the country. 35x11 or 35x11.5 would be perfect

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles