Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: global expedition vehicles, inc

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader

Default global expedition vehicles, inc

Global Expedition Vehicles, Inc is a company in Missouri that develops and builds expo vehicles using Unimog U500 chassis.

Mike Van Pelt, the owner of the company, designed the first vehicle for his own use. Mike and his wife traveled in the first model for 30,000 miles on a 9 month trip around South America.

Now Mike is building replica vehicles, incorporating lessons learned on his long trip.

Here's one model

And here's a second design

The company's web site is
    http://www.globalexpeditionvehicles.com

Contact Mike by email at globalexpeditionvehicles [at] gmail [dot] com

Chip Haven

The original vehicle had a very extensive exoskeleton up to the over cab rack, and down the side over the fuel tanks. The sides between the cab and camper appear to have a series of recovery hooks all the way up the side of the frame. Not sure what they were for?

The original build also shows corner jacks mounted on frame. They donít appear on original chassis photos or the final build photos (although they may be removable). Wonder what they were used for?

I really like the details on the construction build pages. Hope they make a go of it.

Bob

Default not recovery mounts

Think what you are referring to are little folding steps, find 'em at West Marine or similar, used on boats, so you can climb the mast or transom. Nice touch!

In my opinion this design is too big and heavy for the U500, loading the Mog up to a total of nearly 30000 pounds and 8 m length robs the Unimog his supreme offroad advantage. Such a box (and weight) is better situated on a bigger Mercedes or MAN 4x4 truck.

Beside this there are some details in the construction of the box that are not optimal (imho)

bye, Werner

Default wrong photo

My mistake -- The photo of the grey camper with the folding steps is the vehicle that the van Pelts drove around South America. The vehicle for sale has a more conventional 'roo bar front bumper, no exo cage, and no heavy duty frame behind the cab.

Check the web site for photos and details for the two models for sale.

Chip Haven

Cool link thanks!
    Drew F.

'76 FJ40... 4" lift, 35" MT/R's, ARB Snorkel, Warn 8074, Power Steering, Saab Seats, Custom rear tire carrier, soon to be scratch built expedition trailer.

My rig... "Maude"

My camping trailer build up thread.

"Make a life, not a living..."

Wonder what they plan to do once they sell the couple Mogs they have? There are very few newer Mogs available. Not sure folks will pay big bucks for a new camper on a 20+ year old truck. Suppose they could mount on an International chassis like the Unicat rig. Would be interesting to see if they would build and sell the camper box separately.

Quote Originally Posted by boblynch
    The original build also shows corner jacks mounted on frame. They donít appear on original chassis photos or the final build photos (although they may be removable). Wonder what they were used for?

Leveling?

Default future unimog

Somebody (Charlie Aarons?) posted to say that the Unimog was being withdrawn from North America due to emissions issues. Once the emissions package for the Unimog is re-engineered, the Unimog will return. This might be in two or more years.

That was before MBZ jettisoned Chrysler, which owns Freightliner. Now that there is no corporate connection, Freightliner may decide to get out of the business. I have written to a couple of Freightliner dealers to try to answer this question.

Chip Haven

Quote Originally Posted by haven
    Somebody (Charlie Aarons?) posted to say that the Unimog was being withdrawn from North America due to emissions issues. Once the emissions package for the Unimog is re-engineered, the Unimog will return. This might be in two or more years.

That was before MBZ jettisoned Chrysler, which owns Freightliner. Now that there is no corporate connection, Freightliner may decide to get out of the business. I have written to a couple of Freightliner dealers to try to answer this question.

Chip Haven
    No, no. Chrysler has nothing to do with FL. FL is directly owned by Mercedes. Mercedes also owns Detroit Diesel, which sold and services the MB 906 motor (my Unimog has the 902.912 iteration of this motor) and does warranty work on the Unimog motor. And at least my local DD dealer (Pacific Power Products) can get all Unimog parts (for the U500) and can work on any part of the U500. There are many more DD dealers than just listed U500 service dealers (on the U500 North America site). I therefore have two service & parts sources in Anchorage! Within 3 miles of my house.
    What I find bizarre is that Mercedes did the engineering to certify the 926 motor (same block, 7.2L) for 2007 but not the 906. They undoubtedly sell thousands of 926s per year (in all sorts of class 6-7 Sterlings, FLs, etc.) but were only selling maybe 80 U500s a year in North America.
    Perhaps someone expert in EPA 2010 vs. Euro 5 (also due in 2010) emissions can tell if they are close enough so that Mercedes will relaunch the U500 in NA in 2010.
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast