So we went to the Overland Expo...

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
By the same token, the number of motorcycles of just one brand - the bmw GS1200 over at the expo would have convinced an innocent newbie rider to think that you NEED a big, expensive $20,000 motorcycle to go anywhere. And thankfully, i know from my experience that a bike as simple and cheap as a suzuki DR650 (there were zero of them at the expo) will go further than any GS can dream of at a fraction of the price and upkeep.

I had a similar conversation with Austin Vince over the weekend. Austin isn't a fan of the big bikes & doesn't really understand the draw to them. On the other hand, I am & I do.

It boils down to what you are trying to do (how far you're going, the type of terrain involved, etc), and how long you have to do it. If I have a month to explore the west coast, a 400 - 650cc thumper would be a great choice. But if I'm headed to Oregon from Tucson, and I have to be back in 10 days, I'd probably skip the trip if my only choice was a 650 or smaller.

The big bikes simply let you get further out while being far more comfortable, than the little bikes. The downside is that you're on a hulking behemoth that costs more than my truck + camper did. It all depends on what you're doing.

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Interesting read guys. I used to have a 91 hardbody and it was fun, but not as fun as my 86 4runner. Faster, smoother for sure, but just was not as much fun to drive sometimes. After seeing my Brother In Laws frontier I am slightly scared to buy one. Granted we are in Florida and his is an early model, but the bed is rusted out so bad that he has ratchet straps holding it all together. I have not looked much at the newest models or the double cabs how do they compete with the toyota for size? leg room etc?

Fenrir

Observer
Ive had an 04 Frontier (selling it was THE WORST idea I've EVER had) and now have an 11 Xterra. They're awesome. And as far as aftermarket support goes, everything you "need" for expedition type travel is available.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I would say more space than the taco as well as a more upright sitting position

Agree, my friend has a Toyota and commented on how much he liked the seating position and deep footwells of my Frontier. I never liked the seating position of my 4Runner, so that was a big plus for me when I was looking to buy this truck.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Interesting read guys. I used to have a 91 hardbody and it was fun, but not as fun as my 86 4runner. Faster, smoother for sure, but just was not as much fun to drive sometimes. After seeing my Brother In Laws frontier I am slightly scared to buy one. Granted we are in Florida and his is an early model, but the bed is rusted out so bad that he has ratchet straps holding it all together. I have not looked much at the newest models or the double cabs how do they compete with the toyota for size? leg room etc?

I agree with what was said about size and leg room above. Toyotas feel pushed forward and lower to the floor than Nissans. My experience is with 1985-1992 pickups and 4runners, and 2004-2009 Tacomas and my first gen D22 Frontier, R50 Pathfinder and 2nd gen N50 Xterras.

Now for the rust comment; my bed does have some rust from 6 years in the northern snowy Midwest and 7 Alaskan winters. The rust I do have is from the plastic bed liner and gravel eating away at the bed from a pervious owner the rest of the truck is very solid. I would say more so than many of the earlier mini trucks from the 1980-90s that I grew up with in Wisconsin and Minnesota. All the Toyotas and Nissans I know of that era only exist in dry climates or areas without coastlines and salt on the roads. Many of the early 2000 Toyotas were affected by the rust recall. I guess that that Florida Frontier spent some good time on the beach and did not get washed off properly. I would expect that from any vehicle over 10 years old that lived that kind of life.

Last edited:

onemanarmy

Explorer
Don't have a Nissan, but am a fan, and like the fact that you can get the same amount and quality of vehicle for almost 10k less than a Tacoma. It's not really being different, it's being more wise with your money.

And Toyotas all have rust issues.

monark192

Observer
We drove our 07 Xterra to the Expo and both drove the overland training course in it. We purchased the Nissan used after looking at the prices for similar year Toyotas / Jeeps and felt that not "running with the herd" saved us a lot of money and still got us a very capable 4x4.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Nothing wrong with Nissan !

My Omani truck

DSC_4362.jpg

DSC_4142.jpg

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I love my Nissans...

I had a 06 Frontier that by far was the best truck/car I have ever owned. The only reason its not with me now is due to a tornado killing it.

I currently own a 2000 Xterra (Trail truck) and a 2009 Xterra lifted but still the family SUV.
261HP is a very nice size engine for that size of truck..

2014 the new Gen 3 Frontier hits... (Rumor has it with a diesel)

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I love my Nissans...

I had a 06 Frontier that by far was the best truck/car I have ever owned. The only reason its not with me now is due to a tornado killing it.

I currently own a 2000 Xterra (Trail truck) and a 2009 Xterra lifted but still the family SUV.
261HP is a very nice size engine for that size of truck..

2014 the new Gen 3 Frontier hits... (Rumor has it with a diesel)

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/110256-CONFIRMED!-Reliable-sources-state-2014-will-be-the-last-FJC-Model-year

And with the end of the FJC and soon 4Runner the 3rd gen X will be one of the better body on frame mid sized off road SUVs. I think I'm in the Ratsun family for good now.

roninjiro

Explorer
I would like to go to the overland expo next year, so if I do just look for my frontier with the custom camper on it. :)

I too would have thought someone showcased at least one frontier out there.

srileo

Awesome! lets do that at the expo next year. Lets you and I form the Nissan gang - right across from the toyota FWC crowd ;-)

I would like to go to the overland expo next year, so if I do just look for my frontier with the custom camper on it. :)

I too would have thought someone showcased at least one frontier out there.

srileo

Thanks all for the encouragement. I continue to look out for Nissans. Hopefully when the cash jingles in my pocket again, the frontier of my hopes will show up on cue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94