So we went to the Overland Expo...

srileo

I and my wife were there these past few days, to sniff out mid-size trucks and pop-up campers. We expected to find some Nissan Frontiers and more tacomas, but were very disappointed to see zero Frontiers out there, and dozens of tacomas. Everyone we talked to lauded their tacos and though none trashed the frontiers, there was a bit of a herd mind-set there about the taco reliability, re-sale, and on and on..
If anything it made me want to just get the frontier just to prove them wrong! And so, we are still looking for our 4x4 long bed crew cab, low mile Frontier.

dirtysouth

Adventurer
I love Toyotas, and have owned a 91 FJ62, 94 FJZ80, 04 Tacoma DC, and my wife's current vehicle is a 05 4Runner Sport 4x4. No question about it, Toyota's resale is better than Nissan's, a lot better. With that being said, when I was looking for a truck a couple of years ago, I ended up with a 05 Frontier. In my opinion, they are every bit as reliable as the Tacomas, as well as beefier. I knew I would be keeping it so resale wasn't in my mind, and it was $10k less than a comparable Tacoma. The aftermarket support is slim on the Nissans compared to the Toyotas, so that's something to consider as well.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
The overland expo and Expedition portal are Scott Brady's projects/companies. Scott does a very good job of welcoming all brands, but he loves toyota's and for good reason. If you think about it, it's natural that toyota people were drawn to Expeditions west, inially, and subsequently to ExPo.

I'm a jeep guy, and just bought a good-condition Isuzu trooper. Very much NOT the main focus of this website. Holden Jackaroo's/Isuzu troopers on the contrary are just as popular as 70 series cruisers, Nissan patrol GQ's ,etc in Australia. It's a proven platform no matter what you call it.

Does NOT mean that they're any less good, capable, appropriate, etc for my uses, just like the Frontier likely is for yours. He'd probably tell you the same thing.

Go with your gut, and like you said, they didn't bash your choices, so make sure you don't take their benign Toyota fan-boyism as distain for other quality brands like Nissan. :)

Pretty sure one of my heroes, Steve Irwin, rocked a Nissan ute for many years along side a 78-series cruiser

Last edited:

stolenheron

Explorer
as a gross generalization, most drivers are down to earth, but there are a few select brand snobs (it occurs with ever make/model of any brand) that have a superiority complex. No different than some of the Land Rover, Jeep, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Ford, etc etc Folks that I have wheeled with. I get flack from friends all the time about how I should have bought a tacoma, because of ______________ or because of _______________ instead of a Nissan.... Most Yota folks are great, but there is a special crowd that have the Toyota > All mentality, just as many other brand followers do with their own vehicles.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
The overland expo and Expedition portal are Scott Brady's projects/companies.

Brian

Factual correction - the Overland Expo is the property of ConserVentures, Roseann and Jonathan's company.

Expedition Portal and Overland Journal are sponsors and strong supporters since the beginning, but we are not "corporationaly" related to Overland Expo.
Yes I just made up a new word...

:)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Srileo,

I would absolutely ignore the fact that there were not any Frontier there. It is not an indication of anything. Frontier are extremely popular in Southern Africa and some parts of Central and South America, and I believe (I don't have first hand experience) that they are as reliable as a Tacoma.

If that's what you like, go for it.

fowldarr

Explorer
My father in law has a frontier and has had it since new. I think it is a 2004 or 05. It has been relatively trouble free, good vehicle, and does everything he needs it to. I would love to pick it up from him someday for a smaller truck that can get me into places that my ever reliable, high resale value, perfect in every way tundra cannot fit.

srileo

Thanks guys. Its quite heartening to hear back. From my travels in south and central america, i know that the frontiers/navaras are very well respected (though in diesel configuration mostly). Its just been my frustration at being unable to find the exact frontier of my needs that

By the same token, the number of motorcycles of just one brand - the bmw GS1200 over at the expo would have convinced an innocent newbie rider to think that you NEED a big, expensive $20,000 motorcycle to go anywhere. And thankfully, i know from my experience that a bike as simple and cheap as a suzuki DR650 (there were zero of them at the expo) will go further than any GS can dream of at a fraction of the price and upkeep.

Allof75

Pathfinder
As said before, it comes down to just driving what you like. It can be as unreliable as a Land Rover (sorry, just had to) and you can still love it, for good reason. I really enjoy my Nissan, but that's only based on how it drives. If it had a Jeep, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Mitsu, Isuzu, VW, Mercedes- whatever badge on it, I would own and drive it just the same. As long as people get out there and enjoy them, it doesn't matter. However, fanboyism and bashing are two separate ideas which shouldn't be confused.

I view Nissan vehicles as the same reliability, quality, and capability as Toyotas but with at least a 25% discount. So Happy Trails, and if enough of us Nissan guys gang up, we can make a difference. We already have. :ylsmoke:

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I've drooled over Tacomas since they came out in 2005. I've looked at them time and time and time again, but have never been able to bring myself to pay that much money for something so small. Now that I've owned my Frontier for 7 months, I can honestly and confidently say that it is at the very least as good of a truck as the Tacomas, though I want to say that they're better. I've been around a lot of Tacomas and on the current gen they've really sacrificed a lot of what made the first gen Tacoma a rock-solid truck.

I keep finding things with my Frontier that help strengthen my confidence in it as I truly feel Nissan has over-engineered them in many ways. The only advantage I see with a Tacoma is that the interior materials are slightly better, but the Nissan overall is a stronger pickup. The Frontier is more comfortable, more powerful, and most of all more affordable. All of these things made me choose the Frontier over the Tacomas I've drooled over for years and I haven't looked back!

Furb

As a current Tacoma owner who has owned several Datsuns/Nissans (82 Datsun 720 king cab, 88 Pathfinder, 91 hardbody, 94 300zxtt), I can say that the Nissans I've had were every bit as tough and reliable as the Toyotas I now own. They all took lots of abuse and hard driving and never let me down. Every time I worked on them I'd find myself impressed with another over-built component I hadn't noticed before. I'll always regret getting rid of my 2 door 88 Pathfinder, would've made a unique and capable expo vehicle.

I think you'll be very happy with your choice should you end up in a Frontier.

Scott Brady

Founder
Believe me, I am a big fan of the Nissan products. :)
We have TWO xterras in the team fleet.

My ride on the last trip to Australia.
477035_10151863306243275_292073344_o.jpg

mike r

Adventurer
dare to be different

DSC_6921_DxO-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94