GPS to Notebook ??

Septu

Explorer
I'm not sure how possible this is... but figured I'd ask here. I was given a Garmin etrex 20 for Christmas. I'm doing a road trip next month, and plan on doing a lot of exploring around the back country. I always take a laptop with me (13" HP tablet - HP touchsmart tm2 Notebook PC - win7). I would love just to use the GPS for the GPS functionality, and get/download some software/app/maps and run the maps/tracking off the laptop (not sure if that makes any sense?).

Is this possible with this GPS? I don't see anything mentioned on their site about this, but maybe there's software or something? I figured I'd ask here.

I guess the next closest thing (especially for the trip in 3 weeks) would be to get some decent topo maps for the laptop, and then something from Garmin (do I have to use their stuff?) for the handheld and just match them up manually as I check out different area's.

Or perhaps just buy a USB GPS stick for the laptop and some software? Anyway... suggestions? I'm looking to do this on the cheap, but at the same time if I'm going to buy something, I only want to buy something once the first time around.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Thanks. Will read up on this tomorrow. Am a complete noob at this, and to be honest... it's somewhat confusing.

Septu

Explorer
i have no ideia if that works as a receiver but if you have an old windowsmobile PDA\PPC\phone with gps there is a way to use it as an external antena for PC

here is how
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=5357578#post5357578

I work for the local telco and deal with wireless/cellular support. So I have a ton of old handsets kicking around (including a Iphone 3 and a Samsung Note and an HTC something or other) that I could probably acquire very cheaply. Will have a look at this as well, and see what I have that could work.

xicofixas

I work for the local telco and deal with wireless/cellular support. So I have a ton of old handsets kicking around (including a Iphone 3 and a Samsung Note and an HTC something or other) that I could probably acquire very cheaply. Will have a look at this as well, and see what I have that could work.

that link is for a windowsmobile(the older ones) device, but i'm sure that there is always a way to use an android device or other (i'm not so sure about apple's phones)as external antenna, it probably wouldn't be as accurate as an external usb or Bluetooth antenna but will work fine.

regarding software oziexplorer is a very popular software for 4x4 fans

ps: i just jaw in one of my favorite chinese wholesale website, they have a usb receiver with one of the best chipset on the market, the SiRF Star III, for about 25 euros, its about 33usd, it would probably be cheaper and better than using a phone as receiver, you can probably find something like that in your country

richbordoni

I don't know how much you're willing to spend, but the easiest option is to just get a 7" tablet. Make sure it has GPS functionality (most do) and download a robust Map application in the app store of whichever platform you choose. Mount it to your dash/console. Sell your GPS and keep the laptop at home.

xicofixas

I don't know how much you're willing to spend, but the easiest option is to just get a 7" tablet. Make sure it has GPS functionality (most do) and download a robust Map application in the app store of whichever platform you choose. Mount it to your dash/console. Sell your GPS and keep the laptop at home.

i would do this too, 130euros a acer iconia b1 7inch android tablet with gps and there are tons of apps that deal with offline maps

phatman

Observer
i use Google earth and Goops. it's not easy to set up, but it does work nice. it has a lot of functionality so you can customize your maps. here is a Youtube video (not mine.)
Garmin will connect easily to this setup. just some system settings you can find using Google search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online