National Luna controller not charging 2nd Battery in LR Disco 2

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I ran for 3+ days at OVX before needing a charge. Temperature there was mild. But two days before at Toroweap I barely got 24 hours in 90+ degrees. The battery is good.

Lucy FJ55

Observer
Hmmmm, I think I am having a similar problem with my NL setup as well.

I have an older Land Cruiser and I installed the NL DIY kit and have also noticed that it does not seem to charge the secondary battery. I have also had issues with the alarm coming on all the time, even after it is turned off. I think part of my issues are due to me not installing the dual battery monitor permanently. It seems like I may have a short in the wiring and it apparently only works when it wants too. Unfortunately I don't know much about electrical and therefore will probably just drag the rig into my local shop and hope they can shed some light on this. We'll see.

That being said, have any of the previous posters had any luck with dealing with NL or their dealers here in the states with similar issues? I'm not terribly confident in our local shop... :(

redriderrick

VERY DISCO
Thread raised from the dead.

I have a National Luna setup with in-cab charge controller installed in my 2003 LR Disco, and it's been acting up just like the others noted here. Did any of you guys get a resolution? I talked to Paul from Equipt at Overland Expo. He said to check all the ground wires. I did, and have been each time it won't charge the aux battery. Everything's tight. I'll be getting a hold of Paul this week, but am interested to hear if any of you found a fix that I can do without having to take everything apart.

Ughhh!!!

Thanks in advance!

F5driver

Adventurer
In the past year I've had to replace the solonoid in the NL and the controller in the cabin. Solonoid wouldn't connect the batteries and the controller went out completely.

F5driver

Adventurer
From the instruction download.

"under a charging condition, the alternator (main battery) voltage collapses below 12.7V, the system will disconnect the auxiliary battery."

My main battery is close to dying and won't take a full charge. Since it can't get to 12. 7 volts the solenoid won't connect the aux battery unless I use the controller in the cabin.

unseenone

Explorer
I didn't care for the NL solution, I installed one for a friend. I prefer the Traxiide solution, which is solid state, and also allows me to charge house and primary batteries with solar, etc. through the house battery side.

dstock

Explorer
I just started having the same issue in my JK in high heat situations, I'm going to contact Paul at see if there is a resolution. System has been working great for a couple years, not sure why it's suddenly heat sensitive.

dstock

Explorer
I've been in touch with Paul at Equipt, the U.S. distributor for National Luna. He's been very helpful (like always), we tried resetting the brains behind the solenoid by disconnecting the controller and then the black wire to the Intelligent solenoid controller for a minute. Problem still exists and now occurs some 20-30 mins into my commute in LA traffic with temps in the 80's. Paul is going to contact NL regarding the issue to get their advice. I purchased mine in Feb of 13, so I am still under the 3 year warranty. I have no doubt Paul will get this resolved and will report back when I know more.

hangdog2

Give this a shot!

I am having a problem with my National Luna Power Pack too in a 2000 Tacoma. The power pack is close to two years old and has been working great until recently. It seems that the solenoid stays open . Therefore the house and truck battery charge and deplete together. I have check the voltage throughout the system and everything seems to checkout ok. I believe the problem is in the "brain" and or solenoid.

This is what National Luna told me to try so I will pass it on!

Please try this quick test :

- Remove the RED input cable from the Power Pack.

- Turn the circuit breaker switch OFF. This removes all power from the Power Pack circuitry.

- Turn the breaker switch ON.

If you can hear the solenoid "click" immediately as you turn the switch on then unfortunatelly there is circuit damage and it will need to be repaired or replaced.

If the solenoid does not engage. Re-connect the input cable, start your vehicle and observe the system for normal operation.

If a replacement part is needed, we will involve our US distributor who will be able to assist.

dstock

Explorer
Thanks to Paul at Equipt I have a new Intelligent Solenoid on it's way to me. Paul spoke to NL and from what I understand, the heat under the hood should not be affecting the solenoid, as it is designed to handle it. I am going to send them the faulty one back so they can look into the issue further. I noticed on mine, that when the solenoid disengaged, the "timer active" and "solenoid engaged" indicator lights on the IS were both lit but the engaged light was flickering. Very strange.

I will update once I have swapped in the new one.

Last edited:

KellyM

Adventurer
Hi Dave:

Did you figure out your issue? I am having issues with my system as well.

Thanks,

Kelly

dstock

Explorer
Hi Dave:

Did you figure out your issue? I am having issues with my system as well.

Thanks,

Kelly

I believe so but we haven't had the high heat to fully test it out. I have a new IS and on a day to day basis it is not cutting out on the way to work.

What is your specific issue? You can pm me as well.

KellyM

Adventurer
My system stops charging the second battery after 10-20 minutes. The main still shows as being charged, but the second battery just shows the current voltage -- 12.4. I am far from proficient in this area, but the second battery seems to draw down without much of a load, leading me to believe that it is not being fully charged even when the NL monitor shows it is fully charged after the 10-20 minutes of charging while driving. Frankly, I have not been satisfied with the system when using my ARB fridge. High heat definitely makes it worse.

I have not torn it a part yet or even fully diagnosed the system. Thanks for any insight you can share.

dstock

Explorer
My system stops charging the second battery after 10-20 minutes. The main still shows as being charged, but the second battery just shows the current voltage -- 12.4. I am far from proficient in this area, but the second battery seems to draw down without much of a load, leading me to believe that it is not being fully charged even when the NL monitor shows it is fully charged after the 10-20 minutes of charging while driving. Frankly, I have not been satisfied with the system when using my ARB fridge. High heat definitely makes it worse.

I have not torn it a part yet or even fully diagnosed the system. Thanks for any insight you can share.

Try unplugging the controller at the solenoid and leave it that way for a couple days. When you finish your commute or driving around for a bit, leave the engine running and see if the solenoid is still engaged. The aux battery should not stop charging at all unless the main battery has fallen below a certain level. I would also use a volt meter to check level on both batteries when engine is off.

As far as the fridge is concerned, high ambient temperatures will for sure make a difference in how long the JK sized aux battery will last. I purchased the insulated cover for the ARB which helps. The amount of times you go in and out of it, or add warm beverages to it, also makes it work harder.

I think you need to solve your charging issues first though before you get into the fridge efficiency issues as I suspect your aux battery is not getting fully charged. Since we're neighbors if you want to get together and see if we can figure it out, shoot me a pm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles