National Luna controller not charging 2nd Battery in LR Disco 2

PeterN

Observer
In April of this year, during a Mojave Road trip I began noticing that under certain conditions, my National Luna dual battery controller would not charge my secondary battery. Very disturbing when you are relying on the perishable food in your fridge to feed your family in the back country, not to mention the risk of warm beer at the end of the day.

The controller works by isolating the secondary battery for the first 5 minutes after you start your vehicle to give the primary battery a chance to recharge after spending it's energy on starting. After 5 minutes, the controller checks the voltage of the primary and if it's above the threshold, it let's the alternator charge both batteries.

At the same time that I noticed the problem, my friend who has the same system (and vehicle but more on that later) noticed that his secondary wasn't charging.

Over the next few days, we managed to have enough juice from intermittent periods when the secondary would get charged to keep our fridges going. A pattern appeared to emerge.

-Start the vehicle after a long rest, five minutes later the secondary is charging as it should.

-Drive for a period, secondary stops charging...******?

It seemed to me that heat was somehow responsible. Both of us drive Land Rover D2s and were well aware of how hot it gets in the engine compartment after long runs. We postulated that maybe the little controller unit was overheating and shutting down....the best we could do was guess.

Possibly it was an alternator issue and our alternators were not performing to full spec and so the Luna controller was just doing it's job and isolating the secondary and charging the primary because the alternator couldn't keep up with charging both batteries.....but my friend's alternator was new and I hadn't had any voltage issues on the primary while running A/C, High-beams...etc.

We saw that National Luna would have representation at Overland Expo and we sought them out during our 4 days camped at Mormon Lake.

Peter, from National Luna was kind enough to hike over to our campsite and take a look at my setup. Armed with his voltmeter, Peter dived in with his probes measuring voltages across the batteries while I ran the engine in all possible permutations of Lights on, Aux Lights on, A/C on, etc.

He determined that my alternator was very healthy and that his unit was performing as it should. We obviously couldn't reproduce the high heat conditions sitting there in the meadow but Peter who was aware of the issue and seemed to think it was connected to the D2s alternator possibly reducing it's output in high heat conditions to protect the battery from damage.

My buddy and I were armed with Goal Zero Nomad 27 Panels (2 each) which we daisy chain and plug into the Goal Zero Guardian charging unit and finally to our secondary batteries. We were very easily able to keep our aux batteries topped off during our 4 days of no driving in the meadow at Mormon Lake. Even a few hours of good sun can bring the secondary battery back to health after a day of driving with only intermittent National Luna charging. Not only that, we put all four panels together and rescued a fellow camper whose fridge had drained his single battery. The sun isn't always out, the charge control system needs to work, even when it's hot.

My question to the hive mind is: Does anyone know if the stock D2 alternator does indeed have this temperature sensing/voltage reducing feature?

I'll be diving into this thread to see what other isolator/charge control solutions folks are using in the event National Luna doesn't come up with a solution before my next trip.

Ramjet

Explorer
I do remember in another thread, that the NL system has a lower amp rating and could not tolerate high heat situations. I think it was in the how to build a cheap battery isolation kit. Not for sure though. I really don't think it's your system if other brands and models are having the same issue. Good luck. That really doesn't sound good knowing we all travel the Backroads. Good luck.

ExpedH3T

Explorer
No problems with NL power pack in passenger area

I'm running the NL power pack....no problems so far......subscribed

IMAG0722.jpgIMAG0721.jpg

4x4junkie

Explorer
My question to the hive mind is: Does anyone know if the stock D2 alternator does indeed have this temperature sensing/voltage reducing feature?

I can't speak for the LR, but I do know the alternator on my Ford does have temperature compensation built into in the voltage regulator that reduces the voltage by small amounts as the temperature rises (this to accommodate lead-acid batteries needing less charging voltage when hotter vs. when cooler). I would certainly think the LR alt has something similar.

It's not a huge change (dropping maybe to 13.9V when it's 110° vs 14.4V if it's 75° out). It sounds like there's a cutout voltage on your NL controller that just needs to be adjusted down a bit.

TheJosh

Explorer
Peter from National Luna also mentioned certain models of Toyota were having issues with the controller......Is your controller in a Toyota?

Yep in a 2004 Toyota. Is NL replacing the units or are we stuck with having to deal with the problem even though we spent $400 on their product?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I talked with Peter as well - for a different symptom (over voltage alarm at 13.8 volts). I would venture a guess and say that step one to any problems with charging via a NL system (either the power pack, or the stand alone controller), would be to measure the voltage with a digital meter and be sure that it matches the display on the NL controller. If it does not - then that needs to be fixed first because the controller thinks the voltage is something other than what it really is - which can lead to a variety of problems.

Peter mentioned that some of the older units were prone to this. The fix is to replace a small PCB in the controller - it's supposed to be a very simple job. You should contact your National Luna vendor if you have this problem. I didn't directly ask, and Peter didn't outright say that National Luna was taking care of the repairs (paying for them), but the impression that I got from him was that yes, they were.

Once that is fixed (or verified to be accurate), then you can move on.

PeterN

Observer
Yep in a 2004 Toyota. Is NL replacing the units or are we stuck with having to deal with the problem even though we spent $400 on their product?

Peter didn't get explicit about any timeline for a fix or remedies for those of us with problems. It seems to me that it's not trivial to have a "one controller to rule them all" solution when different batteries want to sit at different voltages and alternators have differing features.

Goodtimes, your point is a good one. Making sure you're voltage readings match at the battery and at the controller is an important first step to troubleshooting the NL system. In my case, the NL controller was accurate. Everytime I turn on my mobile HAM radio it displays the voltage of the secondary battery and is dead accurate, so it's easy to compare that to the controller voltage display.

PeterN

Observer
I can't speak for the LR, but I do know the alternator on my Ford does have temperature compensation built into in the voltage regulator that reduces the voltage by small amounts as the temperature rises (this to accommodate lead-acid batteries needing less charging voltage when hotter vs. when cooler). I would certainly think the LR alt has something similar.

It's not a huge change (dropping maybe to 13.9V when it's 110° vs 14.4V if it's 75° out). It sounds like there's a cutout voltage on your NL controller that just needs to be adjusted down a bit.

Thanks 4x4. I know virtually nothing about alternators.

Since the National Luna controller is an integrated circuit with no ability to make adjustments to the cutout voltaget NL would need to supply a replacement board to suit my requirements. I'll let folks here know if I hear anything from them.

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I am running the NL controller in my 2010 Tacoma and have had issues with my fridge depleting my secondary battery in only 24 hours. I thought this was due to high heat and the fridge mounted inside my cab. Maybe I have had issues with not charging the aux battery in high heat as well then... I recently added the NL controller so I will try and keep an eye on this issue and definately subscribed to this thread.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I am running the NL controller in my 2010 Tacoma and have had issues with my fridge depleting my secondary battery in only 24 hours. I thought this was due to high heat and the fridge mounted inside my cab. Maybe I have had issues with not charging the aux battery in high heat as well then... I recently added the NL controller so I will try and keep an eye on this issue and definately subscribed to this thread.

I had a similar problem a couple years ago. After some remote troubleshooting help with the help of Paul @ Equipt & Martyn @ Adventure Trailers, I found the problem to be a weak connection between the fridge & the 10ga cable that ran back to the PPP. The amp draw was well over twice what it should have been. I replaced that connector & it literally doubled the amount of time I could run without charging the battery.

RichJacot

Observer
I had a similar problem a couple years ago. After some remote troubleshooting help with the help of Paul @ Equipt & Martyn @ Adventure Trailers, I found the problem to be a weak connection between the fridge & the 10ga cable that ran back to the PPP. The amp draw was well over twice what it should have been. I replaced that connector & it literally doubled the amount of time I could run without charging the battery.

I don't think this is my issue. I've check and recheck the connections under the hood and there don't seem to be any resistance issues. If charge my secondary battery with a standalone charger overnight I get normal run times. But as I mentioned above I can see from my monitor that my secondary never gets topped off as it should be.

Rocket-scientist, Have you tried charging your secondary battery with a standalone charger? What do you get then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier