Defender 130 Quadtech thoughts

Juddy

Adventurer
We have a Land Rover Special Vehicle Quadtech 1 body that we are going to mod, and use for a while until we can afford what we really want.

I spoke to Land Rover SV department today ( who were very helpful ) about a number of things relating to these units, my main question was the fitting of twin roof racks, and the load rating for the racks, they advised me that a full length rack ( like the ones in the pictures below, these are LRSV ones ) will take 150kg, I was looking at fitting 2 single Patriot racks, and having our roof tent on the rear section, however, the rear body as internal fixing point that the rack needs to be fixed to, I am unsure if the weight of a 1.6 Hannibal tent 65kg empty will be ok on this part of the body?

By the looks of all these pictures, theres 4 mounting points on the Quadtech

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Man, I wish you were closer as I have that exact rack and rear box which I am not using, and would love to sell...
Good luck with the project- let me know if you need dimension/etc/
Cheers

Juddy

Adventurer
Do you have any pictures of yours?

Is it the same as the one I have?

And how comes you have one over there?

Juddy

Adventurer
One thing me and the wife have been talking about ( after looking all the great things on here ) is to make it more than just a box on wheels, and add a little finesse to it, we dont just want a boring looking box, we have ideas for the putside, and some for the inside, we want a modern looking inside, wood? carpet etc?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I have two, actually three racks mounted on my 130. Here is a shot of my truck and rack system. I believe they are Hannibal racks or at least the front and rear rack is. the center rack is a a stamped bridging device that was fitted to fill in the gap.

Attachments

• nightmaregulch06 044.jpg
    nightmaregulch06 044.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 62
  • crooked creek 132.jpg
    crooked creek 132.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 67
  • saline08 037.jpg
    saline08 037.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 61

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I have two, actually three racks mounted on my 130. Here is a shot of my truck and rack system. I believe they are Hannibal racks or at least the front and rear rack is. the center rack is a a stamped bridging device that was fitted to fill in the gap.

That is still one of my all time favorite 130s!!

Mine is in pieces right now- completely disassembled (ie: every piece separated, window seals removed, etc) for recolor- was Tangiers Orange (G4 support truck), then Bonnatti Gray by PO, now Alpine White. I bought it as an unfinished project from a Brit in Ca, and using it to rebuild a NAS 90 to a 130. Take a look/see on our website for some previous projects under the Sold page...

DividingCreek

Explorer
I have two 130's. One was bought as a dropside tipper with a Quadtech box also available. I passed and picked up another hicap bed and canvas to convert it back. I have bolted pvc plywood (azek) to the inside of the hoopset (using rivnuts set into the pipes) so I can hard mount things and to keep items carried in the bed from damaging the canvas. Thats whats so cool about these trucks , they can be easily customised to suit each owners individual needs/wants. I think 130's are the ultimate defender.
Being over 6ft tall I can only sleep in the back of the 130 with the tailgate down and have woken up with wet feet twice...

rijosho

Adventurer
That is still one of my all time favorite 130s!!

Mine is in pieces right now- completely disassembled (ie: every piece separated, window seals removed, etc) for recolor- was Tangiers Orange (G4 support truck), then Bonnatti Gray by PO, now Alpine White. I bought it as an unfinished project from a Brit in Ca, and using it to rebuild a NAS 90 to a 130. Take a look/see on our website for some previous projects under the Sold page...

So wait there has been progress? Let's see a build thread already...

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
It is all apart but painted- was done before starting Jeff's 90/110. It is the next project so to speak -now that the shoulder and neck are working again... But that is for another thread and not hijack this one.

newhue

Adventurer
Rover Shop, I'd be cautious tying the cab to the rear body with a roof rack if that's what your thinking.
My canopy easily moves up to an 1" towards the cab body; and I have already popped the rivet and split seam on the centre join of the cab roof by linking my awning to the cab. I guess if you use a heap of gutter mounts and a sturdy rack the gutter may not crack, but I wonder where that inertia and movement then goes. In a 110 it's different as the body is one. An easy example of how the body flexes as the chassis does is try opening the doors with a it of cross axel articulation.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Yeah, not thinking of tying the 2 together for just that reason..I've seen the flex between the 2 on articulation, I have to raise the floor a bit for my pop top so I will have a separate rack over the roof for my roof top tent.. And I probably won't be tying the roll cages in to each other either..the rear cage will only be more of a supporting structure to bolt stuff to and to act us rub rails..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier