Help a newb build a cdn m101 trailer

Jeepwavechris

I should be picking up a 1992 m101 cdn trailer (similar to the m416 in the USA) this weekend.

My plan is to lift it and fit the same size tires and rims as on my 09 jku (3.5" lift with 35s and 17s) here is a photo of my jeep.
image.jpg

Here is a photo of the trailer I am hoping to buy
image.jpg

My other list of mods I am eventually hoping to add to the trailer are the following:
-rooft top tent
-a lid that can be opened and closed on hinges and struts
- a tailgate mod (possibly just replacing with a CJ tailgate as I heard they fit well
-rewiring as it is currently the original 24volt

My big question is, how do I get the 35s on the trailer? I have read a bit about it and heard about swapping the axle and adding leaf springs over the axles. Can someone please explain this to me and help me out with how to know what dimensions i would end up needing to purchase to make this all work?

Rezarf <><

Explorer
That's an amazing trailer to start with. I would recommend replacing the axle all together with a new one with the bolt pattern you desire to use (matching the tow rig is what I did). I used a guy at ABC trailers here in the US and Randy (owner operator) made me an amazing axle from hub to hub without any hassle to my exact specifications. I would just reuse the springs as they are really heavy duty on the m101's. I think you would loose the parking brake, but I have never had one (so please add that to my opinion) and don't see the need.

As for a tailgate, I think its the best mod done to one of these trailers. Otherwise you gotta pop the lid for EVERYTHING, and once the tent is setup that becomes a hassle.

Search around here, you'll find tons of info of folks who have gone before you.

Jeepwavechris

That's an amazing trailer to start with. I would recommend replacing the axle all together with a new one with the bolt pattern you desire to use (matching the tow rig is what I did). I used a guy at ABC trailers here in the US and Randy (owner operator) made me an amazing axle from hub to hub without any hassle to my exact specifications. I would just reuse the springs as they are really heavy duty on the m101's. I think you would loose the parking brake, but I have never had one (so please add that to my opinion) and don't see the need.

As for a tailgate, I think its the best mod done to one of these trailers. Otherwise you gotta pop the lid for EVERYTHING, and once the tent is setup that becomes a hassle.

Search around here, you'll find tons of info of folks who have gone before you.

Awesome this is exciting. I will do a few searches but just so I understand, I can fit any size tire (assuming I get rid of the fenders) once I swap the axle? I just want to ensure I do what is needed to for 35s and I thought I would need new springs for that to work.

Thanks guys!

Flashole

Adventurer
That looks like a sweet trailer!

I second replacing the axle. I wanted brakes, so that's what I did. The cost difference wasn't much once you considered the cost to rebuild the old axle and the cost of the spacers to make the wheels fit.

I think I have some pics in my thread regarding the SOA, as well as how I built my tailgate, lid etc.

Jeepwavechris

thanks flashole. i Will be checking out your build now!! I think i'm definitley going with an axle swap. a 3500lb one. did a quick search online ot see if anyone was selling any tires and got some good hits as well. im stoked right now!!! hopefully all goes well tomorrow and i actually end up buying this thing.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I have the same wheels, tire size and lift height as you. The problem with tall tires is a tall pintle hitch preventing me from opening the tailgate with the trailer attached.
I started out with 33s and downsized to 31s. I have a SOA, and used stock CJ-3 spring hangers. The 33s were too tall.
This pic was the day I bought it with 33s, see the rake?
72462_4938814140756_2118326475_n[1].jpg

This is with the shorter spring mounts still with 33s. Still a little too tall.
DSCF4310.jpg

I put 31s on it yesterday so no pics yet, but it'll be level now and the trailer still has better ground clearance than the Jeep.

Last edited:

Jeepwavechris

I have the same wheels, tire size and lift height as you. The problem with tall tires is a tall pintle hitch preventing me from opening the tailgate with the trailer attached.
I started out with 33s and downsized to 31s. I have a SOA, and used stock CJ-3 spring hangers. The 33s were too tall.
View attachment 163314

View attachment 163316

I put 31s on it yesterday so no pics yet, but it'll be level now and the trailer still has better ground clearance than the Jeep.

Well i pulled the trigger!! paid $1000 for it

I can see how 35s might be big I am thinking of 33s. The tires stock with the trailer are pretty tall already and it sits perfectly level. Almost don't feel like touching anything! Here is a photo of it on my jk
I managed to keep the original wiring. I love the loom it came with. I cut it at the large 24volt input and just connected it to the 4 pin I bought from princess auto. Swapped the bulbs in the lights with 12 volt bulbs and took a while with some
Random wire combinations but I finally got daytime, signals and break lights working perfect. I'm glad I didn't have to swap the lights or wiring. I really like the quality of the original wiring.

image.jpg

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Well i pulled the trigger!! paid $1000 for it. I can see how 35s might be big I am thinking of 33s. The tires stock with the trailer are pretty tall already and it sits perfectly level. [/ATTACH]

Good price for a perfect trailer. Now the height conundrum starts.

The General

I would love some information on the camper topper you are running...that looks awesome!

View attachment 163314

View attachment 163316

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne