Anyone spent time in or on a Disc-O-Bed?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I just bought a Sprinter cargo van to replace my long-time Sprinter overlander I sold last year, and I'm planning to use it while I take my time designing and building another (undoubtedly overdone ;) ) camper, probably out of the redesigned 2014 Sprinter, or possibly the new Transit (T-250) van Ford will release in the US this fall.

I have a lot of the stuff that I need to make a temporary camper lying around from my other projects. But I came across the Disc-O-Bed and, given that I can get sleeping and sitting for two out of one reasonably-priced unit, I'm tempted to buy one.

So, any recommendations, or anti-recommendations, from members who've used one? They'd be much appreciated.

And for the vast majority who are sorta "Disc-O-Bed?! WTH?," here's a link and some pictures:

http://www.discobedusa.com/

0564.jpg

0504.jpg

0603.jpg

kevint

Adventurer
We use a set in our Kamparoo for our daughters.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...paroo-Trans-Continental?p=1116631#post1116631

Works great as a bed for my daughters and in brief testing by larger adults, appears to hold a lot of weight. Very well made. They go together very tight which is good and they are solid when assembled. With the tightness, they can be a little tough to assemble but after a few trips my 14 yr old daughter has aquired the knack of rolling the disk into place. Assembly is also a little akward until you get the hang of it. The side poles come in 3 pieces. We leave the side poles and "discs" assembled inside the canvas sleeves and have a piece of duct tape at each joint in the side poles so they don't pull apart when disassembled.

On arrival, we set up the ends, pop the discs in place, do it all again for the top bunk and we are done.

I have tested the "chair" option and I don't think there is much to that. You basically have the bottom bunk to sit on and a bar at your shoulders. The canvas hanging down obviously doesn't provide back support. Depending on which model you get, they are also quite wide which also doesn't seem good for sitting.

For my application they are fantastic and the only solution I have been able to find. For a chair with a back, I think you might be disappointed.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Mike, I just bought one from Cabelas. I haven't received it yet but ill do a write up and review once I get it. There's a little discussion about the discobed in the cot thread that I recently resurrected. From what I understand, everyone that has one loves the construction and quality...the only complaints I read we're regarding weight.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the helpful responses, gentlemen. Since the possibility of it being a seating area, too, was important to my plan, I think I'll likely give it a pass and make other arrangements.

Honu

lost on the mainland
camping all week :) just reading this a few days late :)

had one but to large heavy but if I had the vehicle and size they are the most comfy cot I have tried

the couch position was comfy for us but we had nice pads under our bags so the back pads stayed up and it was actually quite comfy ! without pads would not be comfy !
with the exped mega mat behind you and sitting on a nemo pad it was really very comfy for sitting as it acted like a couch at home almost :)

lysol

Explorer
Slept on one my entire deployment back in 2011. They are strong for damn sure. I had well over 100lbs hanging off the front there (mine was the top):

P6280019_zpscfacf4a4.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne