Northern Tool "Wel-Bilt" Come-Alongs

PaintRock

Adventurer
Does anyone have any experience with these? Specifically, I am talking about the two-ton model. They are on sale right now for $9.99, normally $29.99. With a coupon. I could get two for $15.00. At that price, I could leave one with the truck and one with the atv. I already have a much more expensive USA made one but the price on these is hard to resist.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Its a pretty simple device, for that price I just go for it and try it out. If it fails either return it or just eat the $10 loss.id imagine it works fine

sorry no real experience with them

PaintRock

Adventurer
Probably not enough to pull the truck, it's curb weight is more than two tons. But they are handy for a lot of things, and it would definitely pull the atv. I guess I'll just have to buy one or two and test them out. Thanks.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Probably not enough to pull the truck, it's curb weight is more than two tons. But they are handy for a lot of things, and it would definitely pull the atv. I guess I'll just have to buy one or two and test them out. Thanks.
They are handy for lots of things. I've used them to pull tree stumps.

Haakon

Observer
It's only rated to 4,000 lbs. Will that be enough to pull the truck?

Easily, it won't be enough to lift it, but pull it, sure. I used a 2 ton Harbor Freight cheapo to pull my Tahoe (curb weight 4,500 lbs) up a 10 degree hill, just to see if it could. Of course it won't be as easy as using a 12,000 lb electric winch, and if you're axle deep in mud you won't likely get out, but if you just need a bit of a tug to get back to where you have traction it should get the job done.

LR Max

Local Oaf
They work. Used one of my father's extensively for tree removal. That said, everytime I use one all I can think of is "next time I'm just pulling cable from the M12000 on the front of my truck...it doesn't suck as much as this does".

Its serious work and the entire time you are looking at that cable like, hmmmm, is this gonna let go on me? Also the cable is super short so you always end up using some crap rope or something that stretches and pretty much negates the pulling power of it.

If I were to get one, I'd pull that crap cable off and put some nice synthetic on it. Call up Southeast Overland or whomever and get some customer rope made up. Give you some piece of mind because that cable is SUPER tiny.

buckshot500

Observer
I have a Big Red come-a-long that is rated for 8000 lbs. I keep that in my XJ at all times. Posted up about it on here a few years ago, and plenty of haters posted their 2 cents.
I got it at Pep Boys for about $30.00

It works great for me, because I understand how a cable come-a-long works. The ratchet mechanism can be tricky to operate, if you are trying to work it too fast.
I have a winch (Smitty SRC8) but I don't always have it mounted on my rig, due to extra weight. A come-a-long won't work for every situation, but it's nice to know you have something with you at all times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior