WreckDiver1321's 2003 Frontier CC SC

stioc

Expedition Leader
I like the updates so far, what are the future plans for it? camping and exploring or rock-crawling?

Maybe a little lift, tires, SAS and a frame chop? :D

PB103488-L.jpg

gorillamel

Dirty Blonde
^Ha, I've wheeled with that SAS'd frontier in Moab (Aaron PEnnell, his wife takes the pics, both very capable individuals). Very impressive performance and very expensive endeavor.

I like your details write up of the roof lights. What sort of fuse box did you get? I use the bluesea distributor box and love it. Mounted it up inside my driver foot well area along the body of my rig (easier to ground things there). Nice job so far! And you're in Montana, yay someone near-ish me to enjoy the awesomeness of ouyr remote areas. :)

sa2yde3u.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Haha a SAS is way more aggressive than I'm looking to do! It's gonna stay more overland than rock crawler.

* Sticking to 32-33 inch tires, and 3 inches of lift maximum.
* Cascadia RTT mounted on a Front Runner bed rack
* Custom wraparound rear bumper with swing away spare and jerry cans
* ARB front with winch
* ARBs front and rear
* Custom rock sliders
* Skidplates
* Dual batteries
* More stuff I can't remember. I've got it all written down somewhere.

^Ha, I've wheeled with that SAS'd frontier in Moab (Aaron PEnnell, his wife takes the pics, both very capable individuals). Very impressive performance and very expensive endeavor.

I like your details write up of the roof lights. What sort of fuse box did you get? I use the bluesea distributor box and love it. Mounted it up inside my driver foot well area along the body of my rig (easier to ground things there). Nice job so far! And you're in Montana, yay someone near-ish me to enjoy the awesomeness of ouyr remote areas. :)

I haven't gotten the accessory fuse box yet. Looking at my different options, and that bluesea is on the top of the list.

And I agree, it's nice to know some people out this way! I know far too few, we've got some great country out here. Whereabouts in Idaho are you? There's a few places out there that I am looking to explore within the next couple years. Namely the Lolo Motorway and the Magruder Corridor.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Been looking at some tire options recently. A lot of people in the Land Rover groups I talked to back when I owned my Disco were running Treadwright retreads and having spectacular luck with them, including longevity. So I'm giving some serious consideration to some Treadwright Claw MTs. $131 a tire for something that is essentially a first generation BFG Mud Terrain, one of my favorite tires. About $605 shipped to my door. Hmmmmm

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Been looking at some tire options recently. A lot of people in the Land Rover groups I talked to back when I owned my Disco were running Treadwright retreads and having spectacular luck with them, including longevity. So I'm giving some serious consideration to some Treadwright Claw MTs. $131 a tire for something that is essentially a first generation BFG Mud Terrain, one of my favorite tires. About $605 shipped to my door. Hmmmmm

What size are you looking at ?

stioc

Expedition Leader
I personally would stay away from retreads no matter how glowing the reviews from others but that's just me. There are lots and lots of choices out there in good tires these days. Are you looking at all-terrains or mud-terrains, what type of terrain do you have there and if standing water or snow is a concern?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I personally would stay away from retreads no matter how glowing the reviews from others but that's just me. There are lots and lots of choices out there in good tires these days. Are you looking at all-terrains or mud-terrains, what type of terrain do you have there and if standing water or snow is a concern?

Why do you say that?

I'm in Montana, so there will be snow in the winter, standing water on the trails, mud, rocks, the works. Mostly rocky mountainside trails that get muddy when it rains. I'd like something as aggressive as possible while maintaining good on-road manners. I was originally looking at DuraTracs, but they're awful spendy around here. I'd gladly pay for the quality, but these seem to have a really good reputation for the price.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Why do you say that?

post #18 http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/56847-Almost-Didn’t-Make-It-Back…/page2

It could happen to any tire I suppose but I'd rather not have to second guess my decision after losing something irreplaceable.

I'm in Montana, so there will be snow in the winter, standing water on the trails, mud, rocks, the works. Mostly rocky mountainside trails that get muddy when it rains. I'd like something as aggressive as possible while maintaining good on-road manners. I was originally looking at DuraTracs, but they're awful spendy around here. I'd gladly pay for the quality, but these seem to have a really good reputation for the price.

Most aggressive will be mud-terrains but they don't last as long and most people find them noisy for daily driving. If you go that route BFG KM2s, Cooper STT, Firestone MT are all excellent choices. In the all-terrain variety the venerable BFG ATs, Coopers ST MAXX, Cooper ST, Toyo AT2 Xtreme and Duratracs/Kelly TSR (excellent traction off road but soft sidewalls and vague on-road handling was my experience) are all great choices.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
post #18 http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/56847-Almost-Didn’t-Make-It-Back…/page2

It could happen to any tire I suppose but I'd rather not have to second guess my decision after losing something irreplaceable.

Ah, I see what you're saying here. The Treadwrights I'm looking at are bead to bead retreads, so the chances of catastrophically losing a sidewall are pretty low in comparison to their normal retreads (I would assume). But I'll definitely be digging a little deeper.

Last edited:

gorillamel

Dirty Blonde
I haven't gotten the accessory fuse box yet. Looking at my different options, and that bluesea is on the top of the list.

And I agree, it's nice to know some people out this way! I know far too few, we've got some great country out here. Whereabouts in Idaho are you? There's a few places out there that I am looking to explore within the next couple years. Namely the Lolo Motorway and the Magruder Corridor.

I did both of those traisl in July. There is a write-up of it with photos and videos in the "completed adventures" thread (I'll have to try to find it for you). I live in Boise, but go out exploring/wheeling every weekend. So I could be anywhere at any given time on a weekend, haha.

I have General Grabbers on my X. They've lasted me 2yrs (~40-50,000mi) so far and still have quite a bit of tread left (probably will have to replace in the next year). Depending on your trails and wheeling choices, I recommend 10ply sidewall simply b/c going over fallen trees/rocks on some of the mountain trails around here have easily punctured Grade C tires around here. Tire shopping sucks IMO, so many options and too many opinions, haha! Good luck. :)

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I did a lot of research on the Treadwrights last night. I've read just enough horror stories to counteract the good things I've read. Oh well, back on the hunt! Hopefully I can find a screamin' deal somewhere...

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Finished installing the OMEs on the truck, pics to follow. Unfortunately, they didn't lift as much as I was hoping they would. I got between 3/4" - 1" out of it... Not good enough. Currently, I'm eyeing up an AC shackle set that will provide 1.5" and (allegedly) give a bit better articulation. Also, if I go this route it will sort of iron out the issue of rear height I've been concerned about.

I'd like the truck to sit with a slight rake, as it does stock, except about 2" taller. Problem is, I'm adding the RTT and heavy custom bumper on the back, so I'd need a little extra lift back there to make it even out. I thought it was going to be a problem because I thought I'd get 2" out of the back. But, funny enough, with these springs only providing 1", that problem is fixed. Slap on a set of those shackles and I'll be up 2.5", which means by the time the weight of the bumper and RTT is added, I'll be around 2"-2 1/4" in the back.

Like it when a plan works out. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94