Post Pic's of your Jeep

madizell

Explorer
Here's an updated shot of the CJ-5. Still coming along. Roll cage is in, winch is on (M8000), the wheels and tires are off of the F-150 so are there only to simulate the diameter of what I intend to use (TX-1 16 inch and appropriate tires), plus it is mostly primed now. New windshield frame and glass, and an old CJ-7 bikini top which somehow seems to work. Making progress.

jh504

Explorer
madizell said:
Here's an updated shot of the CJ-5. Still coming along. Roll cage is in, winch is on (M8000), the wheels and tires are off of the F-150 so are there only to simulate the diameter of what I intend to use (TX-1 16 inch and appropriate tires), plus it is mostly primed now. New windshield frame and glass, and an old CJ-7 bikini top which somehow seems to work. Making progress.

looking good, thats what a Jeep is supposed to be.

jeepninmt

for got the camraon the trip, but tok a pic aftrt i got home.. went to go up the jeep trails and had about 2 and a half feet of snow so found some mud on the way home..

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
My TJ with a younger sibling :)

n503647646_539274_3578.jpg

n503647646_539275_3885.jpg

n503647646_539276_4157.jpg

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
And a couple of the TJ on it's own:

We just installed 35" tires and tomorrow the ARB rear bumper goes on... rear shocks replaced... and a little body cutting... then it's off to the desert on Friday for some fun and action photos :)

n503647646_530833_3368.jpg

n503647646_530830_2554.jpg

Can you believe these crappy little wheels used to be on there? :D

n503647646_534238_5670.jpg

KSJeep

Explorer
2781848010054084051S600x600Q85.jpg

2004 Wrangler X, 3.5 Rubicon Lift, 32" BFG AT's, Outlaw II Wheels, K&N System, 8000lbs Warn, Custom Front and Rear Bumper/Jerry Can/Tire Carrier, Rubicon Rocker Guards, assorted dings and scratches.

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
jerdog53 said:
How do you like your high line fender kit?

I love it :D

I wouldn't be on 35's without it. To be honest 37 physically fits but I don't want to be that unkind to my axles :D

I wish they had a 8" flare option available but no such luck. Would love to make it wider when I change the axles out.

But right now it's got a great stance. I love how the big tires sit in the arches and I haven't lost any up-travel. Metalwork is also stronger too, it's stamped out of thicker sheet metal.

It does give you a few things to figure out - I had to trim to fit my Snorkel and tomorrow night I'm trimming around my ARB bumper.

But it's a great facelift to the vehicle. Very glad I did it.

Besides it needed something after my fender bender a year ago :D

KSJeep

Explorer
Bongo Boy said:
Opinion.

Folks put some pretty weird stuff on their rigs, and I'm not excluding myself from that group. Stuff that looks great, and conveys the image of 'overland' or 'expedition' or whatever.

But your own personal experience, limited or otherwise, needs to come into play when outfitting a rig. Now, my experience is extremely limited. Compared to other members here who have travelled thousands of miles into remote areas of the world, I know exactly jack squat.

But...this is the internet, and I have an opinion. Many opinions, actually.

The TJ is a little, tiny vehicle with a fairly low fuel capacity relative to fuel consumption. Uh, I think that means 'short range'. It don't go too far. So, you can put a $1,000 fuel tank in to increase range by about 25% or so, or you can hang IEDs off the back (jerry cans) to get about the same increase. Ugly, but effective, I guess.

But to me, outfitting the TJ for expedition has got to be a real art, and what I don't see is much artistry. I see cargo trays up on the top--with never any means of accessing that tray by any means I can imagine. I see all kinds of crap loaded out on the back--but no comments about how much those racks vibrate on trail, nor any comment about how long those racks last under those conditions.

I see a lot of 'display' gear. As a person in above-average fitness but over 50 years old--have you ever tried to get an 85 lb spare tire down off the top of a vehicle? Have you actually DONE this? I'm almost one year out now from a finger injury from getting my spare off the back of the rig...not even off the top. The finger still hurts!

I'm ramlbing and don't know how to recover. I see a lot of crap on TJs, and to me it doesn't seem well thought out, very efficient, nor very practical. It looks good, but that's about it. I think it's a tough rig to make into much more than a short range plaything, and I'd be very, very interested in the views of folks who feel they've succeeded in making it more than that. I love my TJ Rubicon, but its limited space has to be used very efficiently, and I don't want to unload 1000 lbs of crap to get to my toolbox, if you get my meaning.

I think, in general, the Wrangler community may spend more time selecting D-ring color than figuring out what's needed to repair a tire. Bringing the discipline and pain of expedition to the short-wheelbase community may be quite a learning experience for everyone.

Bongo Boy,

I agree with some of your comments, however opinions are like *&^holes, everyone has one, so here is mine.

TJ's are probably not the best for hauling lot's of gear, and are probably not the best for travelling 1000's of miles over rough terrain (Damn my back hurts). That being said, some of us just love our TJ's and have always wanted one, so we work with what we have. Along with that, an expedition is an exploration of place not well traveled or new to you, it may be an overnight stay, or a 6 month journey, depends on the traveler.

Since each of us is building their jeep for their own adventure/expedition, each may build it to suite their own individual needs.

As far as my TJ buld, it is for exploring little traveled areas of all parts of the country, from Maine to Florida, to So Cal to Alaska. It will be towed behind an RV. We will be living fulltime in our RV for several years, so space in and out of the TJ will have to be maximized, so using a trailer will be out.

All that being said, here is how my jeep build was planned. Understanding we travel by ourselves most of the time.

New front bumper to hold the winch. and maximize approch angle.

Winch to ge us out of a situation we may have accidently got ourselves into.

Rocker guards to help protect the, well, rockers.

Nerf bars, first, so Sheryl can get in the TJ and second, when the roof rack go on, it provides a platform to access it from both sides. The nerf bars have also help mr to piviot around really tight turnsby placing the bar againstthe dirt/rock inside turn.

Lift and larger tires for extra clearance.

New rear bumper designed for better departure angle and higher reciever hitch placement. New tire carrier attached to the bumper to allow for carring of the larger tire (stock tailgate carrier not strong enough) along with 2 jerry can holders placed between the tire and the body and encased in a steel cage for strengh and safety. Jerry cans for extened mileage, but the holder may also be used for water cans or cargo (universal design), cans are mounted low for center of gravity and ease of removel and placement when full. Hi Lift jack mounted to the inside of the carrier, above the jerry cans for ease of access. (hate seeing a hi lift in burried in the mud or dirt when mounted to the bumper.

Raised inside rear floor (5") allows for tools to be carried under the floor, as well as extra oil and fluids.

Recovery gear is carried in a soft bag behind one of the seats

First aid kit stowed under the drivers seat (easy to tell people in an emergency where it is).

Storage boxes inside in a 2 tier system, set up for our needs and accessability.

Portable air compressor and tire repair kit incase of flats on the trail and to air up the inflatable matress and or other uses we haven't thought of yet.

Roof rack will be added in the future to carry the Kayaks and light items, while being towed behind the RV and for getting them to the water.

Well those are my mods and the reason behind each of them, they are not for show or to inpress anyone, each serves a purpose for our needs.

Long winded, yes, wrong thread maybe, but just had to comment on the post, and explain the reasons behind some of our mods.

madizell

Explorer
Bongo Boy said:
The TJ is a little, tiny vehicle with a fairly low fuel capacity relative to fuel consumption. Uh, I think that means 'short range'. It don't go too far.

As a person in above-average fitness but over 50 years old--have you ever tried to get an 85 lb spare tire down off the top of a vehicle? Have you actually DONE this?

Not a TJ, but a progenitor of the species, my CJ-7 has a range of approximately 504 miles without the use of jerry cans. Personally I don't think that is all that bad, as it will get me from central Arizona clear into eastern New Mexico or West Texas, or traveling the other direction, to LA and a fair part of the way back. It seats two, and will carry sufficient gear, food, and water for two persons for 6 days in desert terrain.

As for getting spares down from the heights, have I done it? Sure. Lots of times, only mine weighs more like 100 pounds than 85 because of the bead locks and the bias construction of the Swamper. Not only can I get it down, but I also put it back. I weigh 144 pounds and just turned 58 this year, I have a bad back from a VW/diesel locomotive collision in 1974, a torn medial cruciate ligament on my right knee, two ruptured discs and 4 others that are displaced or bulging, arthritis in both hands and both feet, and I designed and built the tire carrier that puts the darned thing where it is. A photo of the Jeep is posted earlier in this string.

Feel free to make whatever assumptions you deem necessary but keep in mind that your assumptions don't control and don't define the things you see. Each vehicle has its own inherent limitations as well as its strong points, and the world is full of choices. That we don't all see the world the same or make the same choices when faced with similar situations makes the world the beautiful place that it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles