First Thread - Carry On 3.5' x 5' Custom Build...

JKCTAZ

Cool build. It kind of reminds me of mine with the way you did your axle and suspension. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread. :)

Do you have a build thread? Would love to see what you did! This site is making my brain swell with great ideas! :D

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
Thanks for the write-up. I'm about to buy one of these trailers for the same purpose, but I'll be using wood instead of sheet metal (like the Pike's Peak Trailers).

How has it held up for you?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The trailer turned out great.
One suggestion ... Section the fenders and weld in a center strip to widen them for full coverage.

Crack Monkey

Have any of you had the tongue extended on these little trailers? If so, did you replace the tongue completely with new metal, or add an extension? I'm considering one of these, but it would have to haul 12' kayaks, so I'd need another few feet of tongue added.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
I did not extend the tongue as it was the perfect length for me. You could easily weld on an extension I'd think.

oldboyscout

Observer
the tongue is 2x3 tube bolted on. It would be easy to replace it with whatever length you want. Or replace it with heavier wall 2x2 and a receiver on the end of that for an extension.

oldboyscout

Observer
Also, I carry 9' kayaks on mine with no problem, a 12' boat is 18" longer over the tongue. You may be able to make up the extra with an extended ball mount, like a hitch haul folding mount.

Crack Monkey

Thanks, that gives me some ideas to mull over.

My current plan:
Carry-On 3.5x5 base trailer
Flip the axle/springs
3x Cheap-o 15" wheels and off-road tires (sounds like the stock axle is 5x4.5, so any take-off TJ wheels should work)
Lengthen tongue, extend full length of trailer (possibly with receiver on the back), add front platform for lockable storage bin
Wood planks for floor and sides

The unknowns:
Flipping the axle - I assume I'll have to have the perches/tabs welded on the other side?
Where to put spare - maybe mount to one side, in front of fender? Or on front, between storage bin and trailer?
Top - probably have a friend make a canvas (or some other heavy fabric) to tie down, not worried about a solid/locking lid yet.

oldboyscout

Observer
The axle is cambered so you will need to weld new perches. You will need wheel spacers at least to fit 15" rims, but even that may not be enough.
They trailer is very small, so there is no where to readily mount a 15" spare (I assume you mean something like a 31x10.50?) probably would need to mount above the rear receiver. The tire will be twice the height of the trailer box.
Also you will need to replace the fenders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier