Gen 3 diesel swap

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Not on a gen 3. In Cali the engine must from a same or newer year vehicle. Not sure the laws in Texas. A newer Jeep diesel might be a good swap option.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Any newer diesel will need the ECU that came with it. The easiest way to do it might be to swap in a Mitsu JDM engine.

KyleT

Explorer
Any newer diesel will need the ECU that came with it. The easiest way to do it might be to swap in a Mitsu JDM engine.

Ya that's what I'm thinking, factory pajero/shogun 4m40 or 4m41. Don't know if they are ecu controlled though.

diesiesel

Only the 4m41 is ECU controlled. But there are 2 types of the 4m41; the first one, that came in the 3rd gen is direct injection with electronic pump and the second/newer(2006 and up) has a common rail system. I'm not sure if the CR engine is available in the US, but if it is it's deffenatly the way forward.

Last edited:

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Only the 4m41 is ECU controlled. But there are 2 types of the 4m41; the first one, that came in the 3rd gen is direct injection with electronic pump and the second/newer(2006 and up) has a common rail system. I'm not sure if the CR engine is available in the US, but if it is it's deffenatly the way forward.

NO diesel models have been available in the US, since Reagan was in the Whitehouse. The shame is that nice, unmolested Pajeros can be had overseas for the same money as here, but with the 160hp diesel and manual trans.
If you could get a half-cut, it would be a tedious job, but not impossible.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
4M40 and older diesels practically swap themselves, 4M41 wouldn't be too bad of a swap though.

rock_shoes

Observer
I would probably go the extra mile and try to source a 4m41. A cut in half JDM will probably be your best bet to source it.

Not to say the 4m40 is a problem child. It's been great in my 95 pajero.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
4M41 CR - I'm looking this week. (currently in Thailand) Diesels everywhere here, some type of tax break on diesel SUVs & Pickups here, so a gas engine is much less common in these vehicles. The Pajero is locally built here right outside of Bangkok, so Mitsu diesels are very common.

And by the way - Why do the selling price of Land Cruisers with diesel swaps cost so ridiculously high $$, If I could get half this amount for a similar year Montero I'd be doing these swaps all the time.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...!!-LHD-1HDT-93-FZJ80-Professionally-converted

Last edited:

JamesW

Adventurer
Would you be better getting the engine from another LHD country than getting one set up for rhd and trying to adapt bets to fit?
The 3.2l are really nice,but sound tractorish compared to the 4m40. You would most likely need yo get a half cut to get the swap done right, it would save a lot of time. Auto is the way forward,the manual gearboxes get crunchy and the duakmass flywheel is an expensive to replace time bomb.
I think the 200hp model came in either 08 or 2010 and feels super powerful and it is really driveable too. Not sure would you save enough fuel with the diesel compared to the petrol to make the conversion pay for its self

plh

Explorer
Would you be better getting the engine from another LHD country than getting one set up for rhd and trying to adapt bets to fit?

Not really sure what would be different between a RHD vs a LHD engine. Maybe throttle cable & wiring harness placement - although I'm pretty sure the 4M41-CR would be drive by wire... I have a JDM (RHD) 4D56 in my LHD gen 1. That swap was very straight forward.

4wd26

I sell/ wreck Mitsubishi tritons
These have the 3.2 common rail ecu etc

I have sold a couple of these to guys (I'm in Australia) and these have been retro fitted into gen2 pajero petrols

I sold them complete with the loom all sensors some mechanicals are different, but getting the engine going was not too difficult apparently

In regard to the 4m41 much better proposition than the 4m40, power and longevity, and the early 3.2 are having problems (some) with the fuel pump which is not really supported so really expensive to replace (only rebuilt available at 3k) and they take your old unit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior