Transformer seating solution

mgmetalworks

Explorer
A while back I was approached by a member of this forum about a unique seating solution for his van. He wanted a bench seat, a bed and to be able to use the space in the van when not using the seat. After a bunch of ideas and 3D renderings back and forth, we decided on this design… This shows one side, there is another seat mounted to the opposite side that completes the full-width bench. Dimensions are roughly 48" x 60" with both seats in flat configuration.
render 1.JPG
render 2.JPG
render 3.JPG

and rendering of the bare seat frame

render4.JPG

When the model was dialed in, parts were ordered and the fabrication got underway. Here are couple teaser shots of the weekend’s progress.

A pile of parts fresh off the waterjet
DSC_0212.JPG

some linkage parts
DSC_0219.JPG

Fresh steel welds so nicely!
DSC_0222.JPG

Folded up, looking at the bottom of the seat
DSC_0221.JPG

random shot of fit and detail
DSC_0225.JPG

I designed a lot of self-aligning features into the parts to make things go together quickly and it worked out really well. Solidworks is really a great tool for this type of work. Still a lot to do but its turning out pretty good for a prototype. The lie-flat position will need some sort of support for the back of the seat and latch releases won't work out like I had in my head during design but that's all part of the process.

Abitibi

Explorer
Pretty amazing skills! Subscribed...

They remind me a bit of the 3rd row seats I have in my Pajero :)

Cheers
Mr. D

r_w

Adventurer
COOL

What is the floor width left between the wheel wells?

Are there seat belt provisions?

What about making two rows that line up to lay out as a king size bed?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
COOL

What is the floor width left between the wheel wells?

Are there seat belt provisions?

What about making two rows that line up to lay out as a king size bed?

Thanks!

Floor width between the wheel wells is 54-ish inches. (Cant remember the exact number....)

Yes there are seat belt provisions...for lap belts.

The short answer is yes, you could make a larger bed out of multiple sets. It would require some minor changes to the mounting strategy though. Not a big deal compared to changing the width and depth of the seat. :)

Amy H

Observer
Reminds me of my Honda Element rear seats but more flat. There are people looking for a smoother seat to use as a sleeping platform on the EOC forum. It is the #1 mod on the Element. You might be able to crossover to different vehicles too.

r_w

Adventurer
The short answer is yes, you could make a larger bed out of multiple sets. It would require some minor changes to the mounting strategy though. Not a big deal compared to changing the width and depth of the seat. :)

It would probably be best to mount at the same width and make a storage box/cabinet to match up with the wheel well.

So do they seat 4 when down?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
It would probably be best to mount at the same width and make a storage box/cabinet to match up with the wheel well.

So do they seat 4 when down?

You're right, that would be the best way to mount more than one set. If you're mounting to a flat floor, some additional bracketry would be needed.

Technically yes, there are 4 seating positions with both seats down. However, I don't think four people my size would be very comfortable for very long. :)

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I've been meaning to post an update because I've actually made a lot of progress. I'll post some pictures this week but for now just words...

-As with most things developed from scratch, there were some deviations I had to make from the original design. The last few weeks have been about redesigning and machining the mechanism that releases the back of the seat for the lie-flat position. The original latch was just too sloppy...too bad too because it was extremely simple and cheap to buy.
-I have two complete seats fabricated and mounted to a crude mock-up jig. The seats are actually very comfortable. I've had to add in some reinforcements here and there to stiffen up the assembly but it is a pretty solid unit, even for my fat *****... I'm adding a feature to lock the seats together when they're down so it will make the whole "bench" very rigid.
-When in the lie-flat position, the backs of the seats need to be supported by something. I knew this from the beginning though... to cantilever that much weight on the seat back when you're sleeping on it would require some seriously beefy linkage and considerable material added to the seat base....too much added weight in my opinion and they're already a little on the hefty side. The customer intends to design in some features into his interior that the seat will rest on when its down.
-Tentative install is first week of July.
-Not sure about the future plans for additional sets just yet. I think there's a market for this type of product but I don't necessarily want to be the guy manufacturing them. (I'm set up to be more of a product development/prototyping lab vs. a manufacturing facility). I have parts for one more set and I may build to sell or put them in my own van. Beyond that, I'd consider selling the design if someone wanted to take on that responsibility or, if they're aren't any takers, maybe I'll open source the CAD files.

Stay tuned! Pics of the freshly painted parts coming soon!

Michael G.
MG Metalworks, LLC
Newberg, OR

mgmetalworks

Explorer
A few progress photos...

Seat bottom welded up, ready for paint

DSC_0234.JPG

Painted linkages ready for assembly

DSC_0231.JPG

Main support link with oilite bushing installed

DSC_0232.JPG

Latch in seat back

DSC_0236.JPG

The biggest thrill of this build for me has been nailing the "slot and tab" design of the sheet parts with the proper tolerances. Too tight on either the slot or the tab and you have a hell of time getting things to go together, too loose and its a ***** getting things to line up right. These parts self-aligned so well and locked together TIGHT! It made the welding go really fast! Well....as fast as it could be for TIG welding. :) And not only that, but the interlocking features add to the strength of the weldment as a whole.

Anyway...I proved out a design method for myself that is easy/quick to do in CAD and works well in the real world. I'm getting excited to use this method for future projects on my own van (bumpers, roof rack, rock sliders, ladders, etc...). Can't wait!!

MG

Jasper Jones

Observer
Looks awesome! If you end up open sourcing the CAD files, could these parts be cut on a water jet? I have access to a waterjet (and luckily someone that knows how to run it!) so it would be sweet if I could build my own!! Looks great, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne