Looking at xterras as a new DD & camping rig.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Curious what years are better than others. 4x4 and a diff locker, 4 doors and a roof rack are what I'm looking for. Ideally I would like to keep my spending/financing between $10k and $15k

No serious mods. Just minimum lift, tires and storage in the future.
I will need to haul myself, the ol' lady, 2 dogs and a kid on 3-7 day camping excursions.
Thanks,
Jason

Fzzt

Observer
I love my Xterra but they are space limited when you start putting living things in the back seats!
Hopefully someone that camps with more people/pets can fill you in.

As far as models go, if you want 4x4 and an electric locker than you are looking for an Off Road model, the latest models now call that trim Pro-4X but I don't think you'll find one of those in your budget range.
Great vehicle overall.

IrishXJ

Observer
I own a Frontier and I think there'd be enough space in the backseats for a kid. I'm fairly certain the legroom is the same in the Frontier and Xterra. However, I wouldn't want to have anyone over 5'5" sitting in the back for 3-7 days. Torture is outlawed due to the Geneva Convention these days.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Thanks for the input. There's a 2007 4x4 x model, auto tranny with 98k for sale locally. The asking price is right there with in my budget. Carfax came up clean. Anything I should look for in particular?

nasko

Adventurer
I camp with my 4 year old and a 40 kg German Shepherd. It has quite a bit of room, of course more is better but I can't see how the Pathfinders mentioned above will have more. I can compare it with the 3rd gen 4runner and is right up there in trunk space and a lot more spacious in the rear seats. My daughter loves the raised rear seats and the ability to look out. I had adults seating in the rear as well and have not heard complaints. One specific weak point with all auto Xterra/Pathfinders is the radiator leak which F's up transmissions. There is a lot written on the subject, it can be easily avoided if a separate cooler is added. Check the tranny fluid to see that it is not milky. Some mention that the timing chain pulleys are a weak point, listen for that when you start it up cold. Lastly the front diff is prone to failures if a lot bigger/heavier tires, some do a Titan swap. I have a 2005 Xterra, manual, with the basic trim with no rear locker and while I wished it had a rear locker I like everything about it. It is a lot more comfortable than the 99 4runner I had, more powerful, better MPG (slightly better), all around a better truck IMO.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
With the 07s, probably not. There was a recall out on the transmission cooler, but I don't know if it hit those years or not. Check out thenewx.org or xterranation.com and search on SMOD (Strawberry Milkshake of Death) to see if those years were hit. With the X model, you'll have the C200 year and no locker, so if you plan on taking trails that'd need one, you'll have to get an aftermarket locker. I've got on an 07 OR 6spd, so mine came with the M226 and e-locker, but I plan on upgrading to an ARB at some point in the future (both front and rear).

In terms of useful mods, if you do plan on getting off-road, 2" lifts are pretty common. Nisstec and PRG both offer very similar quality kits, ranging from budget to quality. You may also wish to upgrade the rear leaf springs for extra capacity if you're going to carry gear.

That being said, mine's been uber-reliable. I've got just over 100K miles on it and have run green-red trails in Moab with it. Absolutely love it.

monark192

Observer
Not sure if it was a recall for the SMOD for that year - my 07 has an extended warranty on the transmission up to 100k miles from Nissan but they won't replace anything unless there are signs of problems.

skibum315

Explorer
In my opinion the R50 ('96-'04) Pathfinder and 2nd Gen (N50) Xterra ('05-Present) are pretty comparable in interior space ... I've got an '08 Xterra Offroad and my wife drives an '03 Pathfinder. The X sits a bit taller, but I've also got true 33s ... because of where the interior seating is, in relation to the rear axle, the Xterra's rear seat can be a bit tough to get in and out of (getting over the rear tire 'hump'), but only if you're more limited in mobility or can't open the rear door all the way.

I wouldn't want to go three across the back seat in either one, even if it were three kiddos. The cargo area in the X is a bit taller than the Pathy, but I bet you could cram the same stuff into either ... we did two couples for camping at a weekend triathlon event (with way more 'stuff' than we needed), in the Pathy, and it worked fine to and from. I can sleep my 6'4" self in the back of the Xterra (rear seats down), but don't think I could do that in the Pathfinder.

The factory roof rack on either is actually pretty darn good, unless you're talking about more than a couple hundred pounds of gear; then I'd look at a replacement rack ... I know of many options for the X (and have a Gobi myself), haven't looked into it for the Pathy. The factory locker in the m226 axle (Xterra rear, D44 variant, available in Offroad trims and with manual transmissions) was upgraded from two to four spider gears at some point (IIRC it was in '07, but don't hold me to it). ARB has lockers for all rear ends in either vehicle, at this point ... talk to the folks at Rugged Rocks Offroad, they'll get you squared away if that's the direction you decide to go.

In the R50 Pathfinders, look at the later model years and see if you can get on that had a VQ35 in it ... IMO that's a much better powerplant than the VG33 (which is really not much of a slouch, in it's own right, just underpowered for the R50). Both of the VQ motors (the 35 in the Pathy and the 40 in the X) are virtually bombproof and about as good as it gets from a balanced power & efficiency standpoint ... for example, I still get 16-17 mpg around town and upwards of 18 or 19 on the highway; and that's with full underbody skidplates, rock sliders, replacement rack & lights, and heavy 33" Toyo MTs.

In the X, look for a manual trans if you can ... I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you enjoy driving manuals you'll be happy with this one. It's a smooth trans, and I think the benefits of not having to worry about the SMOD, and being able to stab the clutch and kill power to save the stock front diff, are very real ... and far outweigh any possible headache of needing to tapdance offroad (I avoid traffic at all costs, and don't really have much rush hour to speak of - so that may change the equation if it's a concern). Plus in 1st gear 4-Lo, the crawl ratio is such that you can start the truck without clutch work and not need to worry about any lurch ... it takes a time or two of practice, but I could probably almost get it to start up and idle over a curb, at this point (maybe that's a good test, I haven't actually tried it yet ... but now I kind of want to ... lol).

Any more questions or specific comparisons, feel free to ask away ... I'm on NewX as well. It's a good group over there, and there's really good info to be had.

bushnut

Adventurer
so in other words we are all i agreement on this.... Nissan is the way to go. Just the usual used car buying gamble. I'm sure you'll be happy with either. keep up your routine maintenance and your new truck will take care of you.

roninjiro

Explorer
Thanks for the input. There's a 2007 4x4 x model, auto tranny with 98k for sale locally. The asking price is right there with in my budget. Carfax came up clean. Anything I should look for in particular?

I would ask them to take it home for the night... That way you can pack it like you are going camping on your 7 day camping trip. I say this because had I had done that with my xterra before I bought it... I would have said no thanks I need something bigger. This is with My wife, 2 kids, and myself... For us it was no where near enough space. We now have a Frontier CC. :D

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I would ask them to take it home for the night... That way you can pack it like you are going camping on your 7 day camping trip. I say this because had I had done that with my xterra before I bought it... I would have said no thanks I need something bigger. This is with My wife, 2 kids, and myself... For us it was no where near enough space. We now have a Frontier CC. :D

Great idea!

And thanks for the other info guys. Learning a lot here.

stioc

Expedition Leader
The Xterra and the 2nd gen Pathfinder are probably very close in size/room etc. We (2 adults, 1 8yo, 1 50lbs dog) have done 4+ day trips with our Pathfinder comfortably. The roof rack is used for the camping gear, food/kitchen stuff goes in one side of the trunk, the other half is for the dog. A few misc and handy items go in the other half of the back seat. Keep in mind that I have a storage platform which helps to permanently store all the car's recovery gear, tools etc in. I also don't have a toddler (no diapers, strollers etc). Your mileage may vary.

Jgrider16

Thoughts on mine

I picked up an '07 Xterra, manual trans, off-road package this spring for $11,000 at a local dealer with 110K miles ... probably could find better deals, but it was just what I was looking for at the right time. Had it for 5k miles and a couple of short trips. Thoughts so far ...

Space:
- Not huge but not small. Cargo area is very square and tall, which is nice. Rear seating is good for kiddos. It's a bit higher than the front seat so they get a nice view. I though it was a bit bigger than Frontier I sat in, but could be wrong. We put a cargo basket (Kuat) on the roof with a waterproof cargo bag (Seattle Sports Sherpak 15 - very nice) and keep lightweight stuff up there to free up some space in the rear.
- You should be fine with 1 in the back and a seat folded down. We have 2 carseats, which eat up a lot of space.

Also considered 4th gen 4runner and Landcruiser 100 series. Both more space inside and $$ (but you can find landcruisers from around 2000-2003 with high miles for 10-15K and they will run forever). Couldn't justify spending an extra $5 on a similar age / mileage 4runner with marginally more room and a few extra creature comforts. Plus I wanted a manual tranny if I could.

Performance:
- very powerful engine for size of vehicle. No problem keeping speed up high colorado passes in 5th gear.
- Feels truck like compared to newer SUV's (but I think that's a good thing). Real 4WD with low range was a must.
- Haven't done anything serious offroad yet, but it seems very capable stock and easily modified into a serious trail rig.
- Rear suspension is pretty wimpy. Bottomed out a lot even on the highway with a full load in the back. I am going to try some airbags for now, but I think eventually a new suspension will be in the works. Lots of options around. Old man emu has a nice kit and nisstec and few others have all sorts of fancy options.

Overall very happy. For a midsized offroad capable SUV in the $10-15k range I don't think you'll find anything better. Sometimes I wish I had a full sized pick up instead, but that's a whole different story.

Jgrider16

Mileage

15-20 depending on load / conditions. Averaged about 17 with a full load including cargo bag on the roof and 2 bikes on back over $500 miles with mountain passes and lots of wind. Can pull 20-22 if you're careful, but probably won't happen with a load or terrain. Drops quick when you mash the throttle though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke