Kelly Safari TSR Tire Review

telemike

SE Expedition Society
I've put some road and trail time on the LT285/75R16 kelly TSR radial tires. Load range "E". On the road, they are quiet for an aggressive all-terrain. Some road noise, but nothing like a mud terrain. Even quieter than some performance car tires on cement expressways. Ride very well too. I also like how the rim is recessed into the bead away from obstacles. At 6000 miles on them they still look fairly new and noise is not bad. Lounder than an highway tread AT,but quieter than an MT.

Off-road at Uwharrie (NC, USA, they had excellent traction on the hard pack clay and rocks. I was driving behind an open-diff Wrangler with 33's and he spun just about every obstacle. In 4-Hi, going over berms and other obstacles I never had a tire spin. The traction control and tires kept me going with no effort. In the rocks, I was in 4-low and they clawed over and thru without a complaint there too. The sidewall cleats probably added some protection and grip on some boulders too. Hit only one little mud patch and got thru without any squirming. Another sandy water hole was maybe 4-6" deep and powered thru no problem. The tires do pick up small rocks though.

Anyways, back to the tires. they held up great with no chips on the tread blocks and sidewalls held up good too. I was worried since they are only 2-ply. So far, I like them a lot as street/trail tire for daily use. My mpg's are running around 16 with mixed city/hwy use with my Hummer H3. Would buy again.

Last edited:

telemike

SE Expedition Society
Really impressed with recent offroad trip. Handled mud, rocks and everything else with no problems. Only spun a rear tire with axle unlocked on cross axle twisties. Locker on and no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

telemike

SE Expedition Society
9ymeje8e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

telemike

SE Expedition Society
After about 11,000 miles I am down to 16/32" (1/2") tread depth from new spec 18/32" (9/16"). If that continues in a linear wear pattern, I should be down to 8/32" (1/4") @ 50K.

jasonL_031

Adventurer
Good to hear that they wear nicely i just put a set on my 2011 f150 and so far i love them put about 5000 kms on them and i havnt notice any wear yet lol. and a good solid 1200 kms were towing and hauling the campers.

mike r

Adventurer
i have about 12000 on mine with no visible ware, maybe a rounding off of the corners.

they did hit my milage tough, pretty Hefty tire when they are E rated

GHR

Observer
Looks similar to Wrangler Duratracs and I would expect similar performance overall (Kelly owned by Goodyear as well). The Duratracs have the severe winter tire symbol, do the TSRs? If so, likely almost exact same tire. Look good too!

docb14

I have had my Kelly TSR tires for about 2.5 to 3 years. Great tire. Can't say enough good things about them. Got about 12-15k miles on them (i don't have to drive far to and from work) and they still have great tread. They are a little louder than a BFG AT but not near as loud as a Maxis Buckshot. I did not see anyone with this tire in my area when i got the tires but they are becoming more popular now. I would recommend these tires to anyone for their daily driver that often sees the trail.

telemike

SE Expedition Society
They do not have severe winter tire rating. The TSR has larger void areas over the Duratrac. In the same size, the TSR has larger gap between the lugs than the Hankook MT's and about the same as the BFG MT/KM

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
They do not have severe winter tire rating. The TSR has larger void areas over the Duratrac. In the same size, the TSR has larger gap between the lugs than the Hankook MT's and about the same as the BFG MT/KM

Depends on the size. The normal "contractor sized" GY Duratracs have a bit more spacing it seems. The normally "Expo and hobby" sized tires seem to have closer spacing. What gives? Just GY and Kelly being GY and Kelly as usual.

The Duratrac is much better in the winter IME.

telemike

SE Expedition Society
At about 12,000 miles looking good. They are singing louder now.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

telemike

SE Expedition Society
18K mile update. Am at about 14/32" tread left out of 18/32" new. Pretty good wear so far. Handled the nasy Michigan ice storm roads great. Snow, ice and slush and narry a wheel spin.

telemike

SE Expedition Society
These tires are great for winter conditions. During the SNOW storm here in NC, no problems on the unplowed roads last night. No slip and no slide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz