front end suspension rebuild

I bought that exact kit from the same seller on ebay about a month ago. It is a very complete kit. I dont know about the long-term quality, but the pieces fit just like OEM. My only gripe is one of the lower ball joints does not have a grease nipple, one does. They appear to be from different manufacturers also since one was a dark grey, and one was black. Its not a huge deal since I have a needle adapter for my grease gun and I just filled the joint using that. Additionally, there were a couple other joints that did not have nipples where the OEM part did. Again, not a big deal if you have a needle adapter.

Nice difference in the steering, much more firm. HTH

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I wouldn't buy the Ebay kits, they typically last 6 months or so and break like crazy offroad. I did the Ebay UCA's and balljoints, 6 months onroad and they were toast (this was on my wifes truck and she was running 35's so maybe they can't handle big tires).
Two of my friends ran those TRE's and the wore out within a year as well, another friend broke every tie rod off road fairly quick (probably less than 1000 miles logged). The metal they're made of is like foam but steel, lots of air in the metal. To be clear we all run 35" tires but OEM stuff handles it fine. just sayin'

GFO

Observer
Im thinking of rebuilding the front end suspension.

What do you guys this about this kit ? I know its cheap, has any one installed this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-00-Mitsu...its=Model:Montero&hash=item4ac0c83eca&vxp=mtr

Any one know a place where I can order everything at once?

Rockauto.com is pretty good, while they don't have a complete set like ebay, they have easy to use sub-folders and several options per part. So you could easily piece out that same kit, but you get to choose the quality/price range of each part.

Though you'll be hard pressed to beat that $115.31 USD ebay price, but it seems other people have tested it and can attest to the lower quality you'd be getting. In the end, comes down to $$$ Vs Piece-of-mind and what you're planning on using the Montero for. I personally try to always use OEM quality or higher, even though I (unfortunately) rarely go off-road.

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
i most likely will piece it together using oem or better quality units. Would hate to have these brake on me on the trail.

MARKSMONTE

EXPLORER
i most likely will piece it together using oem or better quality units. Would hate to have these brake on me on the trail.
I am in the proccess of replacing Balljoints and upper/lower control arm bushings. My 90 Gen1 is all torn apart in the garage because none of the parts I boughttsoff ebay fit.
Upper ball joints :the taper is cut wrong
Lower ball joints: no grease zirts and no grease
control arm bushings: to small

I went to auto zone and got all the right parts .
What a huge headache that was.
Never again

Update to this:

DO NOT BUY THIS EBAY KIT.
I installed this a little over a year ago. Put about 10k on these components. That includes an off road run about once a month. Initially the steering was tight. The progressively it got worse and worse. It now has play from 11-1 on the steering wheel. Imagine trying to keep her straight on the freeway! I thought it might be the steering box since surely these "new" parts have not failed. While inspecting the underside recently? I grabbed the spindle and simulated turning. There was significant play in EVERY joint I replaced. Inner, outer tie rods, pitman arm, and idler arm. The play was from the joints themselves, not the stud. After removing them I cut open the boots and saw they were bone dry, shiny metal on metal with significant play. I suppose you could grease these fittings periodically with a needle grease gun, but you shouldn't have to! Today I'm replacing everything with moog. Build quality is much better. Cost was significantly higher, but you get what you pay for.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Moog or Spicer is all I ever use on my vehicles and is what comes in most re-branded OEM boxes. Best way to buy is compare rockauto against ebay on the same part and purchase accordingly.

jdavis

Observer
I installed the ebay kit and parts started failing after about 6 months. Would recommend Rock Auto for parts.

I have an Aussie Locker in the front diff of my truck.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I did the eBay suspension once with the exact same results, this was on my wife's '94 Montero and not wheeled hard or often. Junk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier