Camp stove recommendations....looking for better efficiency

AndrewP

Explorer
Are you tied to cannister fuel? I'm a huge fan of liquid fuel. There is a bit of a learning curve compared to gas but once you get the knack of it not a problem.

I agree. For truck based camping an old fashioned Coleman stove will work great and doesn't need a pressure tank full of propane, and you can use your truck's gasoline in a pinch. $20 on Craig's list. Works way better in the cold too.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The partner steel stoves look wonderful and extremely durable. I'd like to own one one day. The one drawback that I've read about them is if you get the burners wet, they wont light until you dry them out.

I don't think it's even fair to mention that. The stoves are drowned on rafting trips and they have to blow the water out of them and dry off the burner. You have to do that with any that get submerged.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I agree. For truck based camping an old fashioned Coleman stove will work great and doesn't need a pressure tank full of propane, and you can use your truck's gasoline in a pinch. $20 on Craig's list. Works way better in the cold too.

X2. I picked up a "used twice" coleman dual burner white gas stove. Works great for truck camping. Just keep the pump oiled and you won't ever have a problem with that stove.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: My Camp Chef "Denali" has been really stingy on propane-

Sawmillllakejune12015.jpg

Course I haven't cooked for kids, but one 16oz bottle will usually go for 3 days for two of us !

The biggest use is using the

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

perkj

Explorer
your best bet for fuel consumption savings is to go with a Coleman liquid (white gas/coleman fuel) stove. Like has been mentioned above, you can pick one up on Craigslist for ultra cheap....less than $50 for one in great shape. They come in three sizes and have been made since the 40s:

Models:

425 - this is the smallest (17" wide) two burner and burns white gas/CF only. Can get one off CL for well under $30
424 - same as the 425 but is the newer dual fuel model that'll burn white gas/CF and Unleaded gas. These go for $85 new off Amazon, but again should be able to pick one up used for well under $50

413 - this is the larger of the two burners at 24" wide and burns white gas/CF only. This width stove is better for cooking as you have a lot more room for two pots. Can get one off CL for well under $40
414 -same as the 413 but is the newer dual fuel model that'll burn white gas/CF and Unleaded gas. These go for $113 new off Amazon, but again should be able to pick one up used for well under $50

426 - this is the 3 burner big boy. burns white gas/CF only. Can pick up a nice one on CL for under $50. These are tougher to find. Great if you're cooking for a lot of people.
428 - same as the 428 but is the newer dual fuel model that'll burn white gas/CF and Unleaded gas. Can no longer get new. should be able to pick one up used for under $75. there weren't very many 428s made so they normally get a premium....I believe new they were in the $150-170 ballpark. You see some on ebay fetch close to $200.

If you are going propane go Partner. Truth is I am not sure how "efficient" Partner Steel's Stove is, but I will throw my vote in for it... would never buy/recommend anything else.

luk4mud

Explorer
Stove to boil water- cheap one burner butane bobber. Been using the same one for years now. Simple. reliable, always lights. Works well in all conditions and altitude. Usually takes no more than 2 fuel canisters on a 2-3 day trip.
http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Butane-Burner-Stove-Free/dp/B000BVC4NY/ref=pd_sbs_lg_5

For real cooking I use a Volcano stove/ grill with a 5lb refillable propane tank. I do alot of wok cooking and grill some too. Works great for both. Also can be used as a small fire pit. I have worn won out with heavy use over the last few years.
http://www.amazon.com/Volcano-II-Co...&qid=1375413279&sr=1-1&keywords=volcano+stove

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior