Area Lighting

oliverlove

Adventurer
Hey guys, I am looking for lower profile light to mount on 3 sides of my truck. I have a rack that I run my RTT on, and would simply weld on a few tabs. LEDs seem to be the newest fad with good light output with little draw.

When we are in 'camp' we want more light on the sides and rear, but something we can leave on for a few hours if needed without killing the battery.

Thoughts?

bat

Explorer
Maxima PLB-630

001.jpg

I use a 2 button remote to control right side/back or left side/back

008.jpg

4x4junkie

Explorer
I built several of these little LED clamp-lights using LED MR-16 tracklighting lamps (GU5.3 12V lamps). The spring clamp can be had from any hardware store's tool section, and I used some sheet steel to make the little bracket for the lamp (mounting it by replacing the clamp's center pin rivet with a screw & locknut).
This particular one uses 4 watts, but is as bright as a 20W halogen reflector lamp. I have a couple 10W ones also (brighter than 50W halogen).

Beauty of it is you can clip one to just about any object at hand, aim it wherever you want, then plug it in and have light.
Last trip out I brought a 15-foot telescoping pole with me (like a small flagpole, or a portable antenna mast, etc.), clipped the light to the top of the pole and clamped the pole to the side of the truck. Floods the whole entire area with light without the glare of a low-mounted light.

Additionally these lamps have a very natural light color (almost exactly emulating a bright halogen lamp, rather than having the bluish tint typical with a lot of LED lighting products).

View attachment 92713
View attachment 92712

highdesertranger

Adventurer
how do those nokeros work for you I have been looking at them. how much light, how long on a charge, durability? any info would be great. highdesertranger

4x4junkie

Explorer
i like that setup 4x4junkie. Nice and simple. i'm gonna need to stop at home depot tomorrow.

LED bulb prices are dropping, I think I paid almost $30 for one like this probably not even a year ago:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...mable-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb-E-423780/203429515
(says equiv. to a 35W halogen lamp, but I have a 50W one here that isn't even quite as bright as that thing)

They should have bulbs ranging from 3.5-10 watts (185-500 lumens) if you look around the aisle a bit. :cool:
You can solder directly to the pins too if you'd rather not disassemble the bulb (or use an actual fixture, though most were too bulky for my needs).

bat

Explorer
You can solder directly to the pins too if you'd rather not disassemble the bulb
You can buy a bi-pin pig tail that will work with the lamps it just slide on.

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
dazzle

Some nice lights here that I have not seen before.

Personally I don't like bright lights at night and prefer to have just enough to see what I am doing. If you camp in the same area as others pls make sure your lights are diffuse and do not project out. I find often people have bright lights pointing out when they only need local spread beam. It is hard to see it when you are in a bright area but very distracting if you have them pointing at you.

I have a Coleman fluo portable lamp and plan to convert it to an LED light to make it more energy efficient.

The keyfob remote is nice. I must go looking.

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier