Ram 2500 vs Tacoma Crew Cab.....on a fence

FPMLLC

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster. So I AM NOT AN EXPEDITION nut yet, I love the idea of it, but wife is just getting used to camping, daughter loves it, me I've been in the woods since i was a kid.

My truck is running ok, but it's going to be needing a replacement soon enough. So I am torn between these two rigs, and will list pro's and con's.

Keep in mind we plan on having a second child sooner then later, and more importantly for work I am a General contractor. I usually don't load the bed down, I will have big things delivered, but at least once a week I work the bed, and often pull my 5k tool trailer, and a car carrier.
the tacoma WILL do that, but just hate making a smaller truck do that weekly, and it does put a lot on stress on a taco.

Now, I am bias towards the Taco, I've had them. They last forever, they are fun to drive and great trucks. They are cheap to maintain, but they are smaller, weaker, and lack a lot of space inside.

The ram diesel, will last just as long albeit with higher maintance and ownership costs. But has a ton of interior space, can load the bed down and has NO issues pulling what ever I need it to.

that being said I dont want to get the taco, then have to go out and buy a box truck to replace the trailer and tools (a potential plan)

I also don't want to buy the taco and wish i had the ram or vice versa....so thoughts, opinions, ideas.

I will be taking a trip to WY from NY next fall, camping the entire way...mostly back roads but getting her feet wet.

thanks guys in advance!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
First off, welcome to ExPo!

To answer your question, by looking at my sig, you would assume I will back the Dodge straight away. Well, you are right, but not for the reasons you think. My wife daily drove a Tacoma doublecab for 8 years. It was a great truck. We miss it regularly. But, that said, given your job and proposed usage, I think a short box 2500 will suit you better. It is a bigger truck, but not so much as to make it a handful for daily use. It will haul more, tow safer, has more room for your growing family, and you can get a decent size camper in the back for your Wyoming trip.

My $.02

I should add that I am also a general contractor, so I know how you will use your truck. I would love to have a Taco on the side, for the days when I'm not hauling 20 sheets of plywood etc, but if I can only have one truck, it will be a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel.

crismateski

American Adventurist
I am biased, but they are both great trucks. I looked at the Tacoma, and it did not quite fit what I personally wanted. If you go with the Dodge, I would recommend finding an early 2007 or older model with the 5.9 Diesel. With the money you save over buying a new one you can call Carli Suspension and have it drive like a dream

Kaisen

Explorer
By posting this the Domestic section and not the Tacoma section, we can assume (at least subliminally) that you're looking for us to reinforce your predisposition to the Cummins. I would think most of us would help you feel good about that decision. Based on what you've said, I can't imagine how you'd then pick the Taco.

But..... why make the leap from a small truck to a giant diesel 3/4 ton? Is there a full-size half-ton that would represent a reasonable middle-ground? The upcoming new 2014 Ram Diesel V6? A new F150? Silverado? Titan? Tundra? Some new 1/2 tons get *better* fuel economy than the Tacoma while having more room, better ride, more towing capacity, more power, and similar pricing. Unless you think you need the smaller truck, there's almost no traditional reason to get one.

And, you didn't tell us......new or used? What years?

Last edited:

bfdiesel

Explorer
New the taco as diesels are where gas was in the 70's only they still get good power, 07 and older to about 90 a ram with a 5.9. Blue tech diesels are not all that.

Last edited:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I've had both as well, but not a diesel in the 2500.

When new and unmodified, the 4.0L Tacoma averaged about 18 MPG. By the time we got it ready to do what we wanted it to do, we'd added so much weight that the fuel economy was averaging about 14 MPG.

Again, when new, the Power Wagon got about 14 MPG. As it sits at 8000 lbs fully outfitted, and gets 12.3. Obviously, the diesel would be better yet on fuel, and will probably get close to or more than the Taco in stock trim.

The biggest change tho is when off road and aired down. The Tacoma would get about 12, the truck usually drops into the single digits. But, 34 gallons of fuel still gives us a decent range.

Why did we move to the larger truck? For the exact reasons you mentioned - room, and capacity. We do have a JKUR now that we use as our primary off highway vehicle, but the truck is the main camping (we don't do expeditions or overlanding - we're glampers...) rig since it can pull the StarCraft 10RT trailer without even knowing it's there.

Mark

98dango

Expedition Leader
Honestly go big. I have had Toyota products and always find my self back in a full size. I recently had to clean house so to speak. I am only able to have 2 rigs one for me one for the wife. I asked drove researched and have a crew cab short box in my drive way.

I chose this for towing interior space and that box stock I have gone places mildly built taco had trouble I did as well but my truck has zero mods and the smallest stock option tires for my truck.

I did not opt for the diesel as I dislike the smell cost and maintenance cost. I am a mechanic by trade and know the long term repair cost.

FPMLLC

Hey guys...

My current Rig is the silverado 1500HD, so its a 2500 frame, axles, trans, crew cab short bed. It is a 3/4 ton truck with a 1/2 ton body.

SOmeone said what I was thinking, as a daily driver I love the tacoma, its a fun little rig...but I sold mine after I turned my leaf springs upside down hauling tile because I didn't want to go home to get the trailer. I didn't mind having to always use a trailer to haul material but it does get annoying.

I have no issues driving a 3/4 or 1 ton as a DD, but i'd love not to.

I have run the math, and it is cheaper to have one truck vs having my DD and also owning and maintaining a work truck as well. Not to mention it's a pain to store them.

Yes I assumed there was going to be a domestic Bias here, but I'll ask the taco guys the same. I also like the interior spave of the full size as well vs the taco double cab esp on long trips as kids get older. Space in the doible cab is tight when you have a car seat behind you.

I'd steer away from the 1/2 tons because they don't hold value at all, and I like to run trucks 10 years. A 3/4 or 1 esp a diesel will retain a lot more of its value over the years.

As for the model dodge. I was probably going to go 2013 (purchase in 2014), they redesigned the front end, and if you strip the emmisions off its a good motor. I also like the interior space of the new body style. And I've started searching the old 5.9's and they actually hold their value better then then new ones just because people like the old 5.9 engines...If I could find the set up I want I'd def pick up the older style at the right price, quad cab short box and a 5 speed.

As for the work aspect, I know I am tricking myself, I will get the taco and hate myself the first time I hook up a loaded trailer, i just really like them.

cyclist

Observer
What about a 1st gen tundra double cab. Bigger nicer interior than a tacoma, usable bed size, super smooth v6/5spd tranny. A bit light on payload but should pull your trailer much more easily than a tacoma. The 2003 tundra I drove in SA last year was as tight at 140k mile as some new domestics and seemed like 200k miles would be barely noticeable.

Kaisen

Explorer
What about a 1st gen tundra double cab. Bigger nicer interior than a tacoma, usable bed size, super smooth v6/5spd tranny. A bit light on payload but should pull your trailer much more easily than a tacoma. The 2003 tundra I drove in SA last year was as tight at 140k mile as some new domestics and seemed like 200k miles would be barely noticeable.

Because he told us he wants to buy a NEW truck. Not a ten year old truck. He already has one of those.

racerjb

Observer
just get a Ford Raptor...

I have a Gen 4 cummins and it is a great truck for towing and most things. However, it is a little big and heavy for tight off road trails and a little stiff as a daily driver. But it's a diesel and runs like a champ. It's a tough call finding the perfect truck but it sounds like your leaning towards the Dodge. I sometime wish I had a half ton again for a DD. My buddy has a tacoma and it is setup perfect for expedition. The smaller vehicle can go it some pretty tight places and trails. If you not planning on that then get the bigger truck plus you can always put a camper on the Dodge!

Clutch

<---Pass
Get the Ram, while I love the little Tacoma, it really isn't cut out for contracting work, plus your kids are only going to get bigger. You'll be loving the extra room/power down the road.

When I worked construction, I had my little Toyota for commuting and light duty, and the 3/4, 1, 10 ton trucks for actual work.

I would look at 1/2 tons as well, they are the 3/4 tons of yore.

Last edited:

gsanders

Observer
Some of this is from another post I commented on...

I thought I would respond because my wife and I just went through a similar process. We do not have kids, just two dogs. Possibly kids in the future. I originally owned a 1998 Nissan Frontier (4 cyl, 4wd, 5 spd) with a topper. Our parameters for a truck were more cab space to fit 5 adults comfortably for a several hour trip, the ability to eventually haul a pop-up camper (similar to your needs to haul tools and materials), and no worse mileage than my Frontier (I was getting 19.5 with 31" tires). I also do alot of home projects so I wanted to be able to haul rock and dirt for landscaping and occasional large loads of lumber.

I researched different trucks for about 5 months. I used to own a Toyota 4Runner (1994) and I have multiple friends with newer Tacomas and Frontiers with the full 4 doors. I have also driven a bevy of government full size trucks from the Big 3. Originally, I was thinking 2003-2004 Tacoma. However, after reading multiple forums I realized the additions I would need to make (airbags/springs, heavier duty brakes perhaps?), the over-inflated cost of used Tacomas ($12,000-$20,000), and the small size of the bed deterred me. I also looked at half-tons. Payload capacity was better, costs were much lower, but the brakes with a pop-up camper and boat/snowmobile trailer scared me. Also, the mileage on a Tacoma or 1/2 ton drops to 16-18 AT BEST.

In the end, I purchased a used 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with the CTD and the extended cab in good shape with 135k for $9,000. I get 21 mpg as a daily driver and that is with the 285/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires that came with it. I am hoping with some narrower tires I will get up to 22 mpg. I work with a 2004 owner who gets 24 mpg daily driver, and 16-18 towing a fully loaded horse trailer. My 2001 fits 5 adults for short road trips and the suspension and brakes will easily handle a pop-up camper or other heavy loads. If you really need the space, the 2004 2500 with the CTD has the full four door cab.

Now, I will say that the sacrifices are that I now own a diesel (which has both pros and cons), the initial cost was probably higher than a similar 1500 but much less than a Tacoma, and my Mom now has trouble getting into my truck :) But, I do not regret the decision for our needs. Your needs might be different, but it sounds like we have some similarities.

Good luck with the decision process and no matter what you purchase, you will end up having fun with it.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
IMO - it depends on where you are going, what you are taking with you, and what you *and your wife* need to be comfortable (don't discount that last one - not for a second).

If you're staying on relatively smooth roads and trails, you can get away with loads that are closer to the capacity of the truck than you can if you are in rough terrain. In other words, if you travel light (IE: ground tents, minimal amenities), you can get away with a lower capacity truck than you can if you are taking a slide in camper.

If you travel in relatively flat terrain, you can get away with a smaller engine & smaller brakes than you can if you're constantly climbing long steep grades.

If you, your wife, your kids, & any critters (IE: dogs) you take with you can all fit comfortable in a smaller truck - then it's worth consideration. If they don't - then it's not.

Personally - I drive a 3/4 ton Dodge (cummins) with a 8' slide in camper. It's bigger than what we "need", but a great fit for what we "want". A tacoma would be too small for our taste - we'd be tripping over the dogs all the time in the camper, we'd be hating every long grade we climbed with the truck + camper + motorcycle trailer, etc. For us - full size was the right choice. Your individual needs/desires/likes/dislikes should guide your decision.

my1stcummins

Adventurer
Get off the fence and come to the side where the grass is greener!:sombrero:

I have never owned a Taco, but a buddy of mine bought one new 5 years ago and I was on a few camping and hunting trips with the truck where my other buddy had an '06 hemi 2500 CC LB. I chose to ride in the ram due to space because at two people, you were done filling the extended cab Taco. It's just a smaller truck and with a family i think the Ram would be the way to go. Taco's are nice but I think the Ram will be a much better fit for your needs. I bought my 5.9 when it was a year old and have made a lot of changes to the suspension which eliminate the drawbacks to the stock 3/4tn setup (rough ride and poor handling). When I need to tow or load it up with gear, I don't worry about brake or transmission problems, I just fill the tank and go. I love being an efficient packer, but with a full size you don't have to leave anything at home when you go glamping.

The higher cost of diesel maintenance is still a mystery to me, it doesn't use that much more oil than a v8, the fuel price/consumption makes it about a wash, but the added grunt makes the diesel a winner in my book, not to mention the simplicity. The fact that I will never have to replace a timing chain is also a nice bonus. I can average low 20's on the highway in a truck that weighs about 7500# dressed as is, that's not too shabby. When I tow, the mileage doesn't drop that much either which is also a plus.

I've spent time in the new Ram CTD's and they are very very nice, but if you could find a low mileage 2007 5.9 I would jump on that deal and take the extra money and do some suspension upgrades since besides the cab and engine/tranny, they are really the same truck under their skin and that's half the reason you want a full size right? If you want new, i'd do new coils springs, shocks, control arms, trackbar, and sulastic shackles in the rear. That would probably be enough to make it ride great and it's all work you can do in the driveway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior