Shelters, what do you use?

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
What do you guys use as for a shelter when just hanging out in the shade or stay dry from the elements?

I'm looking for something that will do both and give me a nice covered area to have my camp kitchen set up. Right now I have a 10x10 canopy that I use but it's so big and bulky and is a pain to pack up into the Jeep. I've see the Kelty tarps and the Snow Peak tarps. I'm more into the square set up than the "hammock" looking style that the Kelty's seem to have.

Anyone have pics of the set up or maybe a link of a shelter/tarp set up that will serve as a good dry/shade hang out area and give me room to set up my camp kitchen and be covered at the same time? My camp kitchen isn't that big, so it's not like I need a huge covered area.

Thanks!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I just use one of my tents--

Sawmillllakejune12020-1.jpg

My Xterra "Hatch" tent is a big 10x10x9 and it's been good for sleeping/eating/cooking/games/security-etc

I know there are neat tarps for a quick stop, but-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

gsanders

Observer
If you want something light, durable, and easy check out the NRS Ultralight Wing: http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2773&pdeptid=2122. It is pricy, but it is super light and pretty durable -- last year I had it set up while hunting in about 30 mph winds overnight with no tears or punctures. It also comes with reinforced pockets at the corners to shove poles into to hold it up, and it has webbing loops attached to tie it up with cam straps or the cord provided. I have used it car camping and rafting and I like it and it creates a good amount of space under it. I just went camping this past weekend with a group of six people and it rained a ton. We set it up and had enough space for our camp kitchen and six chairs to sit around and eat. It folds up into a stuff sack about the size of a large manilla envelope so it takes up almost no room when not in use. If you want something bigger, they also offer the Riverwing which is 17' by 16'.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I don't have a roof rack on the Jeep so I can't do an awning or the Foxwing awning either.

Honu

lost on the mainland
have a large kelty
downside hot under it ! no UV coating or something so is good for shade but not cutting the heat !
but its cheap :) and light :)

looking to get a Snow Peak one or MSR or canvas ? I know the Snow Peak cuts down the heat under it not sure about the MSR ? want to try one out first our trailer also had a large canvas tent setup which was insane good at cutting heat but also insane heavy to setup ! but really nice and cool under it ! have thought about getting a nice large square canvas tarp at times
was curious about the new nemo bug out since you could drop a bug screen ? seems like a cool setup not sure about the top cutting the heat though

I have also used shade cloth when I had the trailer which I liked a lot since it does not make flapping noise and is super light of course not rain proof but when it rains it cuts it down a lot !
also no matter how much wind the shade cloth never catches it !

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
oh yeah, MSR. I forgot about them. I will look into them as well.

I'm going to the WA Overland Rally at the end of June. There will be plenty of people there with camp sites set up. I'll get some more ideas from there too.

I'll eventually be saving up for an off road tear drop so I'll probably end up adding a roof rack on to the trailer then put an awning on that. I have no desire for a rack on the Jeep. I like it better without one. The kitchen on the tear drop is covered for the most part (mainly just directly over it) but it'll be ok for the time being. But it'll be nice to have the awning on the side to hang out in the shade or rain.

refried

Adventurer
I have a NRS River Wing that I Really like, I've replaced the lines with loop straps and cam buckles and replaced the poles with Kelty adjustable poles.

tietonrally2008025.jpg

I also have a smaller MSR wing that I really like

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94