Tent bags

For years I have been frustrated with tents (and other camping gear) packed into tiny bags, presumably by machines at the factory, and never being able to fit them back into their bags after the first use. To date, I've only had one tent that fits back into it's original bag well. I just got my kids 2 new tents and one of the bags ripped at the seam trying to fit the tent back inside.

I'm familiar with stuff sacks and compression sacks, but they don't seem appropriately sized for stuffing and tent and poles into.

What do you all do?

OverlanderFJ62

I have reverted onto using a few of these Kelty Bags, some are labeled as Basecamp and other names etc....... They have served their purpose for me. Plenty of room for stuffing in a 4 + person tent, Poles Stakes, Repair Items and even a Tent Footprint/Ground Tarp. For me its not bulky, it will flatten out and give a little here and there when your doing the rest of your bulk packing. Their very inexpensive in my view. Lots of sizes/colors to choose from....

Kelty Bag.jpg

spunky2268

Adventurer
I bought one of these http://www.supplycache.com/prodinfo.asp?number=619-82221 for my Timberline 4. Holds all the tent components, in addition to an old Optimist's tent repair kit, broom & dustpan for sweeping up in the tent, sponge for mopping up water/spills, a ground tarp for under the tent, and some extras. Some of the folks in our 4x4 group bought tool bags at Home Depot for tents, too.

Honu

lost on the mainland
wonder if Kodiak tents sell their bags separate ?
one of the best design tent bag systems ever !
a flat piece you put the tent on clip the sides up then roll it up and clip it !

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I've always been able to fold my tents, roll them with poles and stakes, and put them back in the bags they came with. If you fold along the lines that are pretty much permanently in the tent and make sure doors and window are open to let the air out as you fold and roll, they should fit.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
^^^^ what he said.... I use the bag the tent comes with.. yeah its a bit of a struggle but they work fine...

Wallygator

Adventurer
The bag my tent came with has tons of room and everything loads up with ease including extra stakes and the foot print that was bought separate. Still have room for other stuff. The bag also has back pack straps for easy carry. The tent is an REI Base Camp 6.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I got a used, large tent (~8'x8') at a swap meet with a damaged bag years ago. Fed up with the issue, I finally went in search of as bag. I ended up getting a duffel bag as an army surplus store. It was brand new, good quality, and about $30-$35 if I remember correctly, While it may be a lot for a tent bag, I do not regret it one bit. Makes my life so much easier.

Before the bag, I used a storage tote, but found it to be wasted room due to my lack of space. The big issue was the length of the stakes make me need a bigger box. A long flat one was too shallow for my large tent.

Here's a photo of it; they come in different sizes depending on what you need.

Here's a photo to show how big the tent is...the Jeep is set back about 6' behind the front of the tent, but is still pretty big.

JackW

Explorer
Pelican 1650 case - no elaborate folding techniques required plus its waterproof (to keep tent dry on the way out - keep everthing else dry on the way back if you've had a wet weekend).
It easily holds a 6 man tent, ground sheet, floor mat, poles, stakes and a couple of other things and can be strapped to the roof rack or tossed in the back of the truck.

Chrimbler

Instead of trying to fold your tent to fit it back in, which is bad for your tent anyway (weakens the material at the creases) just stuff it back in....always fits!

I feal your pain. My old Mountain Hardware tent fits great in the bag it came with. My Nemo Asashi on the other hand is a hassle. The bag is not holding up so well either.

refried

Adventurer
Sierra Designs used to make something called the Taquito (they may still), It had places for the tent, stakes, and poles, and fly,then you just rolled t up. much easier than trying to stuff a tent back into a small bag.
271_1_1_sd.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier