Should I go dual or just 2m?

ebg18t

Adventurer
I am looking at adding a Mobile setup to the 4runner. I am new to ham and wondering if I should go dual or just do 2m? This is more for emergency use and maybe some group runs out west in the desert.

Or just stick with the original plan of adding the rack mounted antenna to the dual band handheld?

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
A rack mounted dual band antenna will work wonders compared to trying to operate an HT from inside. Nothing beats 35-50 watts of power vs 5 watts. Dual band is nice (I go for more bands) but honestly not mandatory. How's that for a wishy-washy non-answer?!? LOL!

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
I went with a 2 meter (FT1900R) just to get my feet wet in HAM radio. Still taking baby steps, but with 55 watts and external antenna on the truck I'm very pleased. Mine is for emergencies, too. I did enjoy chatting with a couple of guys on the I-15 coming back from Death Valley recently.

I'm also setting it up in the house but haven't worked the local repeaters yet. I'm getting some cool contacts on simplex (5500 feet above sea level here at home).

From what I've learned dual band is more useful and extends your chances of getting out in emergencies, but I decided to go with a basic single band radio and so far so good. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited:

ki4iwd

Adventurer
i have a multi band yaesu ( ft897 ) and hardly ever use anything but 2m. field day and a few fox hunts for the hf. i just got a great price on it . working at a two way radio shop does pay off every now and then

craig333

Expedition Leader
All depends on what you do. 2m is good for most of what I do around here however, the repeater at Spider Lake on the Rubicon is 70cm. Dual band also gives you the option of using your radio like a repeater.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I would say go 2m/440. Everything is mostly on 2m but its nice to have a little extra if you can afford it. Some people will be hating but if you modify it, you will gain access to the family radio channels which I like so if im with a non HAM group I can use my real radio and still talk to everyone with their family radios. Also for emergencies its nice having more options.

Ive got a ft7900, these can be had used for a good price.

ebg18t

Adventurer
Good points guys.. I think I might just try my handheld with the external antenna and see how it works out. If it still lacks then I guess a used 2m/440 might just have to fit the bill. Need to keep tabs on the $$ as I just took a new job with much lower pay.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Some people will be hating but if you modify it, you will gain access to the family radio channels which I like so if im with a non HAM group I can use my real radio and still talk to everyone with their family radios.

I have yet to venture into the world of ham. I do have those family radios. The thought of using a vehicle radio to have commo with others is intriguing. Is this modification expensive?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The recommendation to modify aside (FWIW most dual band radios can receive FRS just fine unmodified), for an emergency radio I think it's actually arguably more important to have 70cm. craig333's mention of the Spider Lake repeater being an example, there are lots of places where 2m is unavailable and a repeater has to be located on UHF. No 2m pairs available, too much local interference, etc. Most distress contacts are probably going to be 2m simplex, but there are lots of UHF repeaters out there. Not to mention FRS and GMRS are UHF.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
FWIW I'm getting ready to move up to a dual band, dual display unit. The Icom 208H is a dual band, single display...and although it has priority watch I want to be able to monitor repeater(s), APRS, whatever on one side, and be able to see it quickly, and simplex on the other. Originally I used the 208H in mostly simplex.

However there have been numerous occasions where one or more members of our group (including me!) were arriving late and being able to easily monitor a repeater/linked repeater AND simplex frequency was valuable just made it easier to communicate with each other in route. Ditto for APRS enhancing this scenario!

As with most you might find the feature set you need today...will grow/change tomorrow.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty sure that you will not find a 2M only mobile unit with a removable face plate. If that's important to you based on your installation approach that may drive you towards a dual band radio.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I want to be able to monitor repeater(s), APRS, whatever on one side, and be able to see it quickly, and simplex on the other.
Doing APRS on one side and keeping the other open for other uses narrows the selection down to basically one current radio, the Kenwood TM-D710. Used and discontinued you might find a TM-D700 or Yaesu FTM-350. Those are the only dual band radios that let you TX APRS in the background. I presume the FTM-400 will do it, but finding information on that is beyond difficult and there's the sticky matter of it actually not yet being distributed and sold. If you only want to RX APRS, then most any dual band, dual receive radio will work. The FT-8800, IC-2820, TM-V71, etc.

ExpedH3T

Explorer
Cliff........I'm in murrieta and seem to not receive any traffic from Palomar......any hints on when and where to confirm????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke