Emergency Recall Order Issued to The Lite Cylinder Company, Inc.

here4fun

Observer
I along with a number of others here own composite LPG cylinders manufactured by the Lite Cylinder Company which appear to have been recalled under order from the U.S. Department of Transportation - Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration. I purchased mine directly from Lite Cylinder a few years ago and received an email notification of the order from the company directly. Additional information and documentation of the recall order can be found on the PHMSA site

Please take note and be safe :camping:

MistralAtom

Thanks for posting this. I too received e-mail from the LCC and reviewed the Recall order in detail. Owners of these are directed to decommission the tanks and return them freight prepaid to the Company!

Honu

lost on the mainland
this week I was trying to buy one their site has been down they are not for sale anywhere this last week ?
makes sense now why !

thanks for the heads up !

best of luck to those that have them getting some funds back or something ?

this should be a sticky :)

hoser

Explorer
May 30, 2013

Attention: All Retailers, Distributors and Users of Composite Cylinders manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company,

Subject: Emergency Recall Order

The US Department of Transportation has issued an “Emergency Recall Order” for all LPG composite cylinders manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company as per the following Emergency Order No. 2013-002. The recall notice specifically identifies those cylinders manufactured under DOT-SP 14562 (and DOT-SP 13957 as authorized therein), DOT-SP 13105, any cylinder re-qualified under H706, and any cylinders manufactured under M5729.

Lite Cylinder Company has submitted a Petition for Review with DOT seeking to amend several portions of this Recall Order. It is unknown as to when or to what extent, if any, portions of this recall may be modified. Until such time, users of this product are directed to immediately cease use of the cylinders identified in the recall.

All cylinder sizes are involved in this recall: 10#, 20#, 25# and 33#

Please note that the directive states “Under no circumstances should a cylinder described in this emergency recall order be filled, refilled, or used for the transportation of hazardous materials.” The cylinder’s identifying markings may be found on the label affixed to the dome of the cylinder.

To effectively comply with this recall, cylinder owners must:

1. Take proper safeguards in identifying and handling the affected cylinders identified in this order.

2. Cease use of all specified cylinders until notified of DOT response to Petition for Review.

3. Arrange to have all propane gas removed from cylinder. This should only be done by qualified persons, trained in handling cylinders in accordance with Federal regulations. (Note: All propane dispensing agents should meet this criteria.) This person must discharge all gas, purge, and remove the valve per the recall.

4. Return the empty, purged, valve-less cylinders, to the manufacturer, freight prepaid, at:

The Lite Cylinder Company
139 Southeast Parkway Court
Franklin, TN 37064

Please note that Lite has petitioned to amend Recall Order to allow specified cylinders to be field destroyed. We will promptly advise if Order is so amended.

While Lite is in sharp disagreement with the extraordinary and overwhelming harshness of this action, we will make every reasonable effort to comply. We clearly recognize there are associated financial implications as well as considerable inconvenience to our loyal and valued customers. Our team is currently trying to assess solutions to address these concerns and will communicate a response at the earliest possible date.

A copy of the Recall Order (3 pages) is attached for your reference:

MAY Z.4 2013
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration

Order No. 20 1 3-002
Franklin, TN

37064 Docket # PHMSA-2013-0123

EMERGENCY RECALL ORDER

This notice constitutes an Emergency Recall Order by the United States Department of
Transportation (DOT) pursuant to 49 U.S.C. § 5121(d) and 49 CFR § 109.17(c); and pursuant to delegation of authority to the Associate Administrator, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), Office of Hazardous Materials Safety. By this Order, PI-IMSA is mandating a recall of all cylinders manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company, Inc. (Lite
Cylinder) and marked as authorized under DOT-SP 14562 (and DOT-SP-13957 as authorized therein), DOT-SP 13105; any cylinder requalified under H706; and any cylinders manufactured
under M5729 (hereinafter referred to as affected packaging(s)). In addition, this order applies to any person who is in possession of an affected packaging subject to this order.
PHMSA finds that the affected packagings constitute or are causing an imminent hazard to public safety. For more detailed information see "Background/Basis for Order" below.

THIS ORDER APPLIES TO:
I) Lite Cylinder, its officers, directors, employees, subcontractors, investors and agents
("Lite Cylinder"); and
2) Any person who is in possession of an affected packaging, including any officers,
directors, employees, subcontractors, investors, and agents of said person (for
purposes of this Order, "Cylinder Owners").

Under no circumstances should a cylinder described in this emergency recall order be filled, refilled, or used for the transportation of hazardous materials.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. LITE CYLINDER MUST:
1) Contact all Cylinder Owners to whom affected packagings have been sold and inform
them of the Emergency Recall Order and provide them the proper and necessary
instruction and information for the safe handling and discharge of hazardous material and for the return shipment of cylinders no later than five business days of this Order. The information must include instruction that directs Cylinder Owners to use only qualified persons, trained in handling cylinders in accordance with Federal
regulations, and to safely discharge, purge, and remove the valve from, the cylinder.
2) Confirm that the returned cylinders are purged and emptied.
3) Ensure that the purged and empty cylinders are returned to the manufacturer at the
following address:
Franklin, TN 37064.
4) Provide by email the serial number of each returned cylinder to PHMSA at
(referencing"Lite Cylinder" in the subject line) by the close of business daily. Please note any problems that may have been witnessed with the cylinder (e.g. leakage, damage, etc.).
5) Permanently obliterate the special permit specification markings and render them incapable of holding pressure within five business days of possession, including those in inventory.

PHMSA URGENTLY ADVISES CYLINDER OWNERS TO:
1) Take proper safeguards in identifying and handling the affected packagings
identified in this Order,
2) Use the instruction and information provided by Lite Cylinder for the safe
handling and discharge of hazardous material and for the return shipment of cylinders. This information will guide Cylinder Owners to use only qualified persons, trained in handling cylinders in accordance with Federal regulations, and to safely discharge, purge, and remove the valve from, the cylinder.
3) Return the purged and empty cylinders to the manufacturer at the following
address:
Franklin, TN 37064.

This Order is effective immediately and remains in effect unless withdrawn in writing by the Associate Administrator or his designee, or until it otherwise expires by operation of law.

4xdog

Explorer
Thanks for posting this. I too received e-mail from the LCC and reviewed the Recall order in detail. Owners of these are directed to decommission the tanks and return them freight prepaid to the Company!

Interesting that the original recall order HERE directs owners to return the cylinders to the company. It does not direct this to be done prepaid -- that was added by Lite Cylinder. The original order is silent on who's responsible for paying.

Reading the details in the background section of the order is scary. The company was playing very fast and very loose with a pressure vessel for flammable gas. The data show those cylinders are NOT to be trusted.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Well that sucks. I liked those and there is no reason a good composite tank could be manufactured. I think the key flaw appears to be the fact it was made in two halves and bonded together. And now Lite Cylinder is going to be a goner and anyone who bought one of those is going to be out the dollars they spent.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
wonderful...I have 2 -20's and 2- 10's...fml...

Until the smoke clears I ordered 3 of these...I also left a message this morning at Lite headquarters....hopefully I'll hear something back.

Worthington 11 lb. steel cylinders. I like the smaller ones to be able to satellite them around the campsite (light, shower, heat, etc.)

http://www.casa.com/p/worthington-11...e-valve-509054

Free expedited shipping....

Enter for $20 off > SPRINGCASA20

total was $172.97

Greenmonkey

Adventurer
Ya this sucks, I have two of them. Does anyone know if they plan on refunding $ or replacing the tanks or are we sol? Also does anyone know what exactly is happening to the tanks and how many has this happened to?
Thanks Tyler

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
According the the full government issuance it looks like there were issues with 5-6'ish (read it last night and forgot the exact number already). The real problem is that you are being TOLD to return them to the manufacturer. They are no longer legal propane pressure vessels and are no longer DOT approved. I didn't see this explicitly in the issuance but I'm betting it is not even legal to fill these any longer (not that some minimum wage kid at the local gas station that sells propane would know that though).

With all the compliance issues I am pretty sure Lite Cylinder will cease to exist very quickly. So I think you are sol.

SLOwag

Adventurer
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I had noticed hair-line cracks near the valve and was going to contact the company regarding a warranty claim. Has anybody else noticed any visible issues with their tanks?

Attachments

• Lite_2.JPG
    Lite_2.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 74

loren85022

Explorer
If the report has it right, these guys were taking shortcuts that would have likely caused someone to get seriously hurt. I really like my Lite tank. Hopefully someone else sees the opportunity to build the tank in a safe way.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
yah, it really bites that they are going out like this.... I doubt we'll see any of the $$ spent on these...and it sucks to know that a product made in the USA was cutting corners like they allegedly were.

I email them but Im sure I wont get a response from them......
Im taking my tanks to the local uhaul to have them discharged....

Its ironic that I bought this tanks with safety in mind (they wont explode) and now they are being recalled cause they turned out to be more dangerous than a steel or alum tank is.....

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I almost bought one of these, but could never justify the cost. I'm sad for those that bought them. The Worthington 11lb. steel tanks are great and are a nice alternative.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Thinking about replacing my Lite with the a Ragasco composite tank.

I wonder if it will be hard to get the Ragasco filled once the word is out on the lite cylinder issue? The Ragasco's look nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles