Bundu Box Substitue?

coax

Adventurer
I am in the process of designing some under-vehicle storage for tools/parts and similar bits that are not accessed very often. This will fit under the rear of the cruiser where the spare tire used to be. I had been looking at using 2 of the low lid bundu boxes, because they are fairly weather resistant, rectangular, and plastic. However, it seems it takes a small miracle to get them :) So, does anyone have any recommendations on a similar sized and constructed plastic box that might substitute? The 19.7" x 15.7" x 9" dimensions are just about perfect. Don't want to go much more than 9 or 10" tall. It would be nice if it would fit a quart of oil standing up. Could also be up to 30" wide. I was planning on using 2 of the low-lid bundu's side by side.

Anybody come across any military surplus or the like that would work?

Thanks!

(This one below would almost be perfect if it was plastic 31 x 19 x 10" h)
158173_ts.jpg

coax

Adventurer
Haha thanks! Didn't even know they had those :) Thanks for the info. That might be the way to go. The box I posed up initially I guess is made of aluminum, so that wouldn't be so bad either, but they are pricey. Found one for 50 plus shipping, and would probably need to be repainted. Hrm...

Ramjet

Explorer
The military box you posted are made of sheet metal not aluminum. They are quite heavy when loaded with supplies. We used them and when loaded they could weigh as much as 50#.

gabepari

Explorer
The military box you posted are made of sheet metal not aluminum. They are quite heavy when loaded with supplies. We used them and when loaded they could weigh as much as 50#.

:snorkel: I hate when I fill my boxes full of gear and they get heavy... I leave my jerry cans empty too...

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
IIRC someone utilized these type boxes and they rattled and squeaken quite badly. They applied 'bedliner' to them to lessen the cacophonous racket to limited succes.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I got a 60s-era container that looks exactly like that from my father that is definitely made from aluminum.

lrover109

The box pictured is a medical supply chest - they are waterproof made of aluminum and think they come in 3-4 sizes it looks like the one pictured is a medium which is what use on my roof rack. Found 1 in a surplus store by a base for $29 never used -ordered the second from a place in ID and think it was $50 -$60 delivered. Not sure of what you are looking to store but you also might look at the surplus first aid boxes (pretty cheap as there are a lot out there) aprox. 9" square and 7" tall - plastic and waterproof

Last edited:

29centTaco

Observer
I didn't see price mentioned in your post, so have you considered Pelican cases? They're readily available and about as waterproof as you could ask for.

762X39

Explorer
I didn't see price mentioned in your post, so have you considered Pelican cases? They're readily available and about as waterproof as you could ask for.
The problem with Pelican cases (and Explorer Cases or those like them) is that they weigh as much as the kit inside them. I have a few cases that weigh 75 kilos between them and carry about 120 kilos of kit in them.Not a problem in the mog where my payload capacity is about 1500 kilos but for you guys with jeeps or 4Runners or Landcruisers, the alloy medical boxes, Zarges alloy cases and the copies out there are probably a better idea for weight to capacity. Of course a couple of neoprene tarmac bags (duffles) with plastic liner bags will also work but they are hardly sexy...:coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior