99 Chevy K1500 "Ron Suburgundy"

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting those pics Eric. It looks like you had an excellent trip. Also, I think your son has the makings of a park ranger....:)

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Ok so the flares have something clipping them to the body other than the screws inside the wheel well. I don't want to break those. I will tape off the flares and paint them on the truck another time.

I looked up all the rpo codes and was pleased to see both an oil cooler and a transmission cooler. I was a little disappointed to see that it only has the 105 amp alternator rather than the 140 amp one. I will have to upgrade that if I go to dual batteries.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Also according to the rpo codes I have the 44 gallon fuel tank. I see the needle get close to the red part near the E so I went and filled it up. It took 35.6 gallons. This tank I got 12.59 mpg. That included the end of the vacation. According to that I still had over 8 gallons of gas, I could have gone another 96 miles.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
usually those stud fuses A&B in the fuse panel under the hood come from the factory as duds/dummies

you have to replace them with actual stud fuses

nice looking rig

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Well the Illinois DMV took their sweet time. I ordered my veteran plates the last day of May. I just got them today, nearly ten weeks! Golly!

image_zpsb6829946.jpg

EricM

Standard American Mutt
I still need to find the AC coolant leak, it has been so nice though, I hadn't really thought about it much. I'm not complaining, the weather has been fantastic here in central Illinois.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
I ordered a new radio today. It has a wire that sends a signal to the small amp under the dash that will make my rear door speakers work again.

I'll do a full picture write up when it arrives next week.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Easiest stereo install ever!! I ordered from crutchfield and got the custom wire harness that is specifically for my burb.

Here's all the stuff. A JVC Bluetooth head unit, wire harness, antenna adaptor, install plastic to turn a two din spot into a one din spot. Twist connectors for the wires.
ae53fdb517f8ad45c27c814c477f4d48_zps8053bc87.jpg

All assembled. The twist wire connectors were really fast. The instructions included hooking a lead to the factory amp in the burb to tell it to turn on, now my rear door speakers work.
8bfd860654778615481c35881e7482ea_zps42c2a45a.jpg

The old unit, it says Pontiac on it, so I know it wasn't original to the truck.
2f5315eaa619a0c51aa2214c0ea1ba88_zps1e2bb3f4.jpg

Dash taken apart, all I had to do was pull on the trim, it came right off. Plugged into the factory harness.
e4ef71b2c0c94509323aaf1aa5e2f852_zps30316850.jpg

In and working.
d0b10fbafec23a043503f3f3731493cc_zpsa77dd3fe.jpg

Impressions so far. I was super impressed with it connecting to my phone via Bluetooth and playing my music off of it, and even taking a call hands free. We plugged my sons iPod touch into it and it worked without a hitch. Then we had both my dumb phone and my wife's iPhone Bluetooth connected at the Same time. The USB port is powered so it charges the phone at the same time.

I thought I would need a sub woofer, but after tuning it a little I am very pleased with the sound so I won't be adding a sub.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Oh, it does not have a CD player. That was intentional. I can put most of the digital music I own on a USB drive and play it from there. It also plays pandora radio off of the iPhone and the remote will let you thumbs up and down, and skip, etc.

Super freaking cool!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am curious Eric if you will miss the tape cassete in the old Pontiac deck? Only kidding! Nice install.....:)

bowstryder

Observer
HA HA, Chilli that's too funny, however I swapped my head unit in my zj to the optional (though modified for some more modern wiring) cassette/cd combo...... I still have some cassettes that I love listening too..... insert jokes at any point. Nice install though!

EricM

Standard American Mutt
In an effort to find the AC leak I have been able to make the rear climate controls inoperable. So, I have actually taken a step backwards.....

EricM

Standard American Mutt
I have not done anything to the rig in a while. 4x4 is nice for the snow, but you all already knew that.

Big trip to Custer state park this summer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online