Trailer axle decisions...

Im about to build a 4'x5.5' trailer and i'm considering three options. First is the prefabbed 2000lb leaf sprung axle kits available at northern tool. Second 2000 lb torsion axle from same source.... Third a straight axle sprung with toyota leaf springs.

Thoughts?

Sent telepathically with Tapatalk

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Well I would highly recommend the torsion axle, but not from Northern Tool. One reason I recommend them, is that I have used them for over 25 years, and never ever seen a failure other than collision. Just be sure you set it up for the weight of the trailer. If the trailer will weigh 1800 pounds loaded, order that axle from any Dexter dealer. If it weighs 2700 pounds, order that weight of axle. If it weighs 1700, do not for any reason order a 3500 pound axle.

Also you might consider that every single new US Military and NATO forces trailer(under 5000 pounds) uses either Dexter TorFlex or Alko rubber ride systems. They have been known for going off road. Amazing I know. One tiny manufacturer says they don't work off road, but the whole world now uses them for off road trailers.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
stay away of torsion axles for off road use. highdesertranger

I'd have to agree with you on this. Torsion axles provide a very harsh ride off road even when they are de-rated. If they do fail there is no in field repair for the axle other than welding in a gusset.

I'm not trying to bait "Aspen Trails" into a confrontation over this, he obviously believes torsion axles work well off road, and I believe the opposite. There is never any compromise when opinions are so strong. If you want to read back story to AT's philosophy on trailer suspension you can read about it here.

If you go for a light weight axle try to have it built with at least 1750lb bearings (Standard for 3500lb axles). Smaller bearing are prone to failure in the off-road environment.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Martyn, currently, and I believe since your problems with the torsion axle, it has been changed. The 3500 pound housing is used for all axles down to 1800, meaning you can order it to the weight you want it, but still have the same spindle, bearings, braking system. Over sprung on any system causes problems.

Last year on the Kokopellie, I though I had destroyed an axle, I caught a huge rock, as big as a man hole cover and about two feet thick. It wedged between the tire (35 inch) the fender and the inner frame. The tire where it contacted the rock was less than 3 inches to the rim. should have blown I think!! Lucked out. But it was a monster job getting it out, and of course on a shelf area. When I got it out, it appeared the axle had bent. The tire was cocked outward in the front about 5-8 degrees. Wasn't anything I could do about it, so pressed on. That evening when we arrived at camp, I was thinking about what I could do to save the tire, went to check it out and alas the wheel was straight and has been ever since. Another 8K. These things are very tough, and I believe if ordered correctly, using correct air pressure for the trail, they work great.

I am not saying other systems do not work as I am well aware that they do. I have researched the problem you guys had. Axle coming out of the housing I believe. I have welded an eyelet or have a bolt on eyelet on each axle perch, so it could be chained, come along or tie down to hold it in. I do that only because of what you have said about your failure. Dexter keeps telling me that it is not possible and there are no concerns. I understand their position, so to be safe that is my preventive measure.

But the US Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and all NATO forces are moving to this type of axle because of its durability and strength. That gives me even more confidence in them.

Bob

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I pulled a popular air bag suspension trailer on the Kokopelli trail and it was a nightmare. I watch a Campa USA trailer (leaf sprung) with little travel make the same trail look easy without any concern. It was then I learned travel on a trailer was overrated. Since I have built my own lightweight trailer using a Dexter torsion axle. It was difficult putting together a spring set up for a trailer of 600lbs loaded so I turned to Dexter and they had a 600-900 rated torsion axle. I could not be happier with the choice. It does not have 3500lb spindles but at my weight Im not worried. I have beat this set up on tuff trails and along with 100's of miles of dirt roads without concern.

I have disassembled Dexter torsion axles and if rated properly I think one would be hard pressed to wear one out. From the research I did I found very very few failure.I would not hesitate to run a torsion axle sized properly again.

Torsion axle at work

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I think the problem is, over springing them. Our group goes by the 3500 level, because of spindle, bearings and brake housing. Then they reduce the leaf spring power to what ever the trailer weighs. You can not do that with torsion, you get what you order. In some respects, buyer beware/informed/smart.

I would have no concern Phil. I have towed mine over 18K miles and a very large number off road, doing the hardest trails I could find. I love them as there is hardly anything to drag, the wheels and tires travel straight up and down, no teeter totter affect.

I am not a fan of the air bag suspension, although my guess is that it is more adjustable, and again if the buyer, learns what he is getting, plays with it, I am sure they work just fine. I have been told by trailer owners with air bags, that they would never do some of the trails I have done with mine. But I think it was a matter of center of gravity over the suspension. All my weight is at axle level spread out over the trailer. Makes it hard to tip over or even come close to. I never worry about the trailer if I can get the truck through. Narrow trails present a problem for any trailer, that is the size of a tear drop. Still have yet to hit the body of mine, but got close on the first shelf road on the Kokopellie, the over hang area as there were rocks on the out side forcing the top of the trailer in towards the cliff. Mine are a little taller than the others so that may have been the reason.

Under no circumstance am I knocking what Martyn and Mario build. I have always said their products are top of the line. I just believe there are other quality products out there, as Martyn said. Differing opinions.

I am glad your set up has worked so well Phil. It is fun when you do not have to worry about part of the trailer.

Bob

Phil, how much did your setup cost? Where did you source the axle?

I pulled a popular air bag suspension trailer on the Kokopelli trail and it was a nightmare. I watch a Campa USA trailer (leaf sprung) with little travel make the same trail look easy without any concern. It was then I learned travel on a trailer was overrated. Since I have built my own lightweight trailer using a Dexter torsion axle. It was difficult putting together a spring set up for a trailer of 600lbs loaded so I turned to Dexter and they had a 600-900 rated torsion axle. I could not be happier with the choice. It does not have 3500lb spindles but at my weight Im not worried. I have beat this set up on tuff trails and along with 100's of miles of dirt roads without concern.

I have disassembled Dexter torsion axles and if rated properly I think one would be hard pressed to wear one out. From the research I did I found very very few failure.I would not hesitate to run a torsion axle sized properly again.

Torsion axle at work

I built the frame today. Sort of committed now... The frame is 48" wide and will need to build whatever axle to fit. The 3/16" x 2.5" tube goes all the way through the frame (cross pieces are 1/8" x 2" and are notched over center piece) and extends 4" out the back to give another point to attach accessories or an extremely rugged extraction point.

226737_935585078461_447262760_n.jpg

The body bag is our Jet Tent F30. We plan to carry the tent, bedding, chairs, and kitchen kit in the trailer. On the exterior we'll put fuel, oh and I may install a water tank inside the trailer. On the lid, I plan to carry 2 adult bicycles and eventually 2 kid bicycles. I'm also planning to fab sections to have exterior tables for cooking and such. My goal is to increase efficiency in camp setup and break down, and giving a place to cook. In case your wondering, we find ourselves camping at different locations almost every night. 2 nights in one location, at best.

I think im still leaning towards a leaf sprung setup. There is a company in dallas that can custom fab an axle in house with spring perches and hub faces to my spec. Will get a 3500lb axle and use 2000lb springs plus shocks... for now.

My thought is that if I have a failure id be best equipped to handle a repair on the leaf springs.

Speaking of shocks, any literature or suggestions on shock mounting? Ie angles, direction, etc...

mmuthart

Observer
I think im still leaning towards a leaf sprung setup. There is a company in dallas that can custom fab an axle in house with spring perches and hub faces to my spec. Will get a 3500lb axle and use 2000lb springs plus shocks... for now.

My thought is that if I have a failure id be best equipped to handle a repair on the leaf springs.

Speaking of shocks, any literature or suggestions on shock mounting? Ie angles, direction, etc...

I used a similiar suspension setup on my trailer build. Check out my build thread for pics on how I did the shocks. I basically mimicked the shock setup on a military trailer.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-Extra-Space-Advice-Needed?highlight=kamparoo

Good luck with your build.

aggiejon

I'll be watching this one, as a trailer is in my future. I'm going to plan on going a similar route and running a 33" tire in a similar track as my 79 Jeep CJ7 (narrowtrack). Trying to determine the axle width, spring width, and how to make the trailer ride at the correct height in relation to the Jeep. I guess a frame drop down or extended shackles could be used if more height is needed.

I started the trailer build somewhere around here, have a peak.

I'll be watching this one, as a trailer is in my future. I'm going to plan on going a similar route and running a 33" tire in a similar track as my 79 Jeep CJ7 (narrowtrack). Trying to determine the axle width, spring width, and how to make the trailer ride at the correct height in relation to the Jeep. I guess a frame drop down or extended shackles could be used if more height is needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles