Maxtrax vs TRED vs Tracmats vs X-Trax vs X-Jack

odomandr

Observer
I got maxtrax and have used them once to help a stuck accord buried by the plows. Worked great one peg came off but still look solid

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
Once Summit is out, TRED will be pretty much done in the US. The pricing, IF Summit brings them back will be close to the price of the Maxtrax. It was a great product but once Summit bought up TJM, that was pretty much the death knell for them.

Did I miss something? Summit bought TJM?

Lt Dan

Observer
I spoke with TRED USA in California a couple of days ago.

I was interested in the dimensions length wise of the mounting holes as I plan to use a Vector off road exo rack as the mount.

Once they provided me with the information, I asked why the price difference between Summit and the other vendors.

TRED USA told me that Summit purchased all the old stock made with the original recipe/resin/plastic that had issues dealing with cold wx. Temp was not discussed but he said if the old stock was used in mild climates there would be no problems. I advised I lived in Ohio and the would see winter use which could cause a failure.

I asked if the Lifetime warranty would apply and I was assured it would.

Soooooo, for 105 bucks at Summit I bought a pair and if they fail due to cold temps I'll send em back for a new and improved set.

FWIW register your TRED's on line, very easy.

Lt Dan

96r50

Observer
Good info, thanks.

I spoke with TRED USA in California a couple of days ago.

I was interested in the dimensions length wise of the mounting holes as I plan to use a Vector off road exo rack as the mount.

Once they provided me with the information, I asked why the price difference between Summit and the other vendors.

TRED USA told me that Summit purchased all the old stock made with the original recipe/resin/plastic that had issues dealing with cold wx. Temp was not discussed but he said if the old stock was used in mild climates there would be no problems. I advised I lived in Ohio and the would see winter use which could cause a failure.

I asked if the Lifetime warranty would apply and I was assured it would.

Soooooo, for 105 bucks at Summit I bought a pair and if they fail due to cold temps I'll send em back for a new and improved set.

FWIW register your TRED's on line, very easy.

Lt Dan

Camelfilter

Explorer
I bought a pair of the Treds from Summit. Placed my order on thursday & they arrived Saturday. Very suprised at that as it was free shipping, so I figured it'd be about a week. Neat!

Looks as though they only have the bright green ones left now. I'm thinking I might paint mine (Krylon fusion plastic), and sprinkle on some sand for added traction...

Lt Dan

Observer
Let ma know what you think of them.

Were getting rain all week (Ohio) so I'll be mounting mine on my JKUR.

Heck of a note I spent more on the TRED mounts (including shipping) then the TRED's themselves.

When I'm finished I will try and post pics, if I can figure out how to do it.

Also, Keep an eye on them if used in a winter climate. Per TRED the Summit stock is previous compound with known issues in cold temps. They told me they are still covered under LT warranty, time will tell

Lt Dan

96r50

Observer
Where did you get the mounts from? I can only find Australian sources for them so I've sent TRED an email asking for any suppliers in North America. I'm hoping to find them somewhere closer/cheaper than the Southern Hemisphere.

Heck of a note I spent more on the TRED mounts (including shipping) then the TRED's themselves.

Also, Keep an eye on them if used in a winter climate. Per TRED the Summit stock is previous compound with known issues in cold temps. They told me they are still covered under LT warranty, time will tell

Lt Dan

craig333

Expedition Leader
You can buy an expensive mounting kit if you want. I just drilled a hole through mine and bolt them down.

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer

Lt Dan

The problem is that Summit is not importing any more so I don't know how they will ever cover the warranty. Summit will not be carrying them once the green is gone. I have been working closely with both TJM and Summit to try to get some info and the last I got was that if they do return, they will be priced in the range with the MaxTrax, so that being the case it makes the decision easy!

The TRED mount was not brought to the US in any quantity that I am aware of. I know they were actively looking for an importer but based on my statement above, I don't see them being competitive. And yes, they do have cold weather issues. I have seen one set (and only one out of several hundred that I have sold) split down the middle like chord wood when immersed in a near freezing mud puddle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior