Survival Sack: When things go bad...

kjp1969

Explorer
The first thing to consider is that gold has gone up in price every year for the last 11 years.

Not so long ago you could say even more impressive things about real estate. :sombrero: But no need to argue, I see your point: Lately Gold has been a good investment.

Currently, the spot price for an ounce of gold is $1,546.50. (A year ago it was $1,250).

Sell!

The reason that gold is better to carry than cash? Consider that a roll of gold coins, the size of a roll of dimes, is currently valued at over $7,500 and can be readily converted into that amount of cash within 24 hours or less anywhere in the United States or Canada. That's a lot of money packed into a small space. Gold is also waterproof and fireproof (not completely fireproof, but much more so than paper money) and gold can be easily hidden because of it's compactness.

Here's the only place I disagree with you- my money in the bank is safe and insured. I might be able to insure gold through the jewelry rider on my homeowner's insurance, but my bank has branches everywhere and cash is readily accessible 24hr/day. When travelling abroad I may carry $500 cash, but I'll take spending money $100 or so at a time from ATMS and use plastic for everything else. I'll be getting a good exchange rate and not worrying about losing the gold.

But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a little gold bullion concealed somewhere also. Interesting topic, for sure.

theksmith

Explorer
i love seeing everyone else bag contents, always gives me new ideas....

here's my always-in-the-vehicle emergency bag contents: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573

the biggest tidbit i got from this thread was in the first post, and confirmed in the more recent river crossing incident post - i'll probably be swapping to a waterproof bag soon. i was impressed with a watershed dry duffel i got recently, so might try one of their backpacks.

Last edited:
I did a quick thread search here and didn't find it. Could you add one of those tasers, a length of rope, and a feather to your bag? That way, you can be hiding behind trees and rocks, and take down a threatening-looking person, tie them up, and then let them wake up or regain the ability to speak before tickling their feet for information about nearby lookouts, access to fuel and food, etc.

:sombrero:

I would hold off on carrying THAT much gold, unless your intent is to buy the whole lot of ammunition at a national guard armory with a well-placed bribe. You could carry silver coins like dimes, quarters, half-dollars, and dollars, which are easily recognizable by the public and remember two things - look for a solid light-color reed edge unlike your 1965-and-up coins you have today, and drop one on a hard surface and listen to the way they ring as opposed to your base-metal coins. However, there is the possibility, if sources of information is correct that with silver, you would run into the same problem - silver could end up being valuated the SAME as gold, if not multiples of gold because of industrial usage that has used up nearly all the available aboveground stock of silver in any form, and the USGS also believes that we have maybe 16 years' mining supply of silver left in the ground (silver tends to be found near the ground surface, and there is less and less available the deeper you go). The way things are going, you would probably be able to buy a house with land for a handful or more of either metal.

You may also run into a fairly unique situation in which the dollar has been destroyed to the point that it's simply better to valuate gold/silver in terms of ounces, rather than dollars in which you must constantly watch the dollar market and adjust signs every day (or hour for that matter like it's happened in some countries). For instance, Hugo Salinas Price of México is advocating the return of silver to Mexican coinage so that it can run alongside paper pesos so that the average citizen can afford to use pesos in everyday transactions and use silver Libertads for storing their earnings, and his idea is this - don't put a currency value on any coin to avoid the "flash point" problem. The "flash point" problem happens everywhere you have currency debasement. What happens is that you have say, a silver dime that had a melt value of less than 10 cents per dime (about $1.26 per troy ounce, and there are roughly 14 dimes per troy ounce) back in the day. What happens when the price of silver goes up to $2, 3, 4 an ounce? Suddenly, you have a dime that you can take to the coin shop to be sold merely for melt value, at a price higher than its face value. That means silver coins like these are either hoarded or otherwise taken out of circulation, and debased coins take its place. It's "bad money" chasing out "good money," Gresham's Law.

Leave the currency value off of anything made and sold by humans on Earth, and simply state things like "This shirt is available for 1 ounce and 1 dime of silver plus 30 nickels," or "This small engine is worth 32 ounces of silver and three silver quarters." That way, you eliminate using a government-controlled currency that is always changing, and you keep precious-metal-based coinage from disappearing out of circulation. You also want to eliminate a government-mandated fixed gold/silver ratio because it can be and has been abused by people who knew how to use the natural market rate against the constitutionally fixed rate in order to pick up extra metal without lifting a finger except go to the market and trade for undervalued metal, and go to your bank where you can trade for the overvalued metal, and then go back and repeat it, all day long.

Sorry that I digressed from the topic by half a state... :088:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
i love seeing everyone else bag contents, always gives me new ideas....

here's my always-in-the-vehicle emergency bag contents: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573

the biggest tidbit i got from this thread was in the first post, and confirmed in the more recent river crossing incident post - i'll probably be swapping to a waterproof bag soon. i was impressed with a watershed dry duffel i got recently, so might try one of their backpacks.

I like photos! Especially on-topic. Thanks!

Instead of getting an entirely new bag that is waterproof, how about lightweight waterproof bags for the important things?

http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/sea...l-_-dry bags&gclid=CLal7IG0yqkCFcYE2godTSIlMw

kjp1969

Explorer
1. Shelter (and shelter construction materials: cord, zip ties, tarp, etc.)
2. Food (rotate it every few months)
3. Water (solar still and other collection items and water purification items: -know how to use them-)
4. Communications (Cell or Sat phone, printed list of phone numbers, also items in "signaling")
5. Warmth (including 3 means to start fires, clothes to handle the environment)
6. Emergency Care (take a wilderness first aid class too)
7. Navigation (take a land navigation class, have suitable compass and paper maps for the area)
8. Basic Survival Equipment (adjust for the environment, includes navigation, signaling, etc.)
9. Signaling (including flares, smoke, mirror, laser pointer, cell, etc.)
10. Critical Documents (make a color copy of both sides of credit cards & ID)
11. Coin of the realm (in a format suitable for the area including items for barter)
12. Tools (multitool, knife, Firearm/ammo with local laws taken into consideration)
13. Footwear (if you are not already wearing something appropriate)

14. Bourbon. If things are so bad that I need to walk out, I'll want a drink.

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
Here's the only place I disagree with you- my money in the bank is safe and insured. I might be able to insure gold through the jewelry rider on my homeowner's insurance, but my bank has branches everywhere and cash is readily accessible 24hr/day. When travelling abroad I may carry $500 cash, but I'll take spending money $100 or so at a time from ATMS and use plastic for everything else. I'll be getting a good exchange rate and not worrying about losing the gold.

But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a little gold bullion concealed somewhere also. Interesting topic, for sure.

I totally agree with you that if you're out on the trail and need money the best and first line of support to get out of trouble is going to be cash and credit cards. I'm right there with you on that point. What if your cash and cards are stolen or destroyed? What is your next go to? Is it a phone call to relatives to wire you money? If you've got that luxury then that's great. After cash and credit cards, my next go to would be some gold I have hidden away since I don't have the luxury of a family to call back home for logistical support.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I totally agree with you that if you're out on the trail and need money the best and first line of support to get out of trouble is going to be cash and credit cards. I'm right there with you on that point. What if your cash and cards are stolen or destroyed? What is your next go to? Is it a phone call to relatives to wire you money? If you've got that luxury then that's great. After cash and credit cards, my next go to would be some gold I have hidden away since I don't have the luxury of a family to call back home for logistical support.

Push one of two buttons on my SPOT II: custom message or 911

14. Bourbon. If things are so bad that I need to walk out, I'll want a drink.

Kevin, DON'T DO IT!! You need the sharpness and quickness of sobriety. Channel that anger into the need to move quickly AND accurately. I'd rather be so angry that all the Gods will bow before me than be drunk and DEAD. I can't do a thing if I'm dead. I'd just have to say, "Heck with it" and detonate the core of this earth, just wipe this sector clean and never do it again. This was a bad mistake, you know... WHAT was I thinking?

If you're going to do that, do that in the safety of people who are on guard duty for several hours before you have to take on your guard shift. You cannot risk making a strategic mistake. NOT ONE.

kjp1969

Explorer
Kevin, DON'T DO IT!! You need the sharpness and quickness of sobriety. Channel that anger into the need to move quickly AND accurately. I'd rather be so angry that all the Gods will bow before me than be drunk and DEAD. I can't do a thing if I'm dead. I'd just have to say, "Heck with it" and detonate the core of this earth, just wipe this sector clean and never do it again. This was a bad mistake, you know... WHAT was I thinking?

If you're going to do that, do that in the safety of people who are on guard duty for several hours before you have to take on your guard shift. You cannot risk making a strategic mistake. NOT ONE.

Whoa girl.
Tequila, then.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have a SPOT also. Using the rescue feature on your SPOT will only get YOU rescued, not your rig. If you need to rescue your rig, you're probably gonna need money.

My Spot-II has 3 buttons total that count. One is the "911". One is the "OK". One is custom programmable so that it can be my "Rig Rescue Needed" button.

EDIT: or program it to say "I have $1500 in gold coin" :)

Last edited:

Bogo

Adventurer

Yes, but think of all the fun he'll have rotating that bourbon out to keep the supply in the bag fresh.;)

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Fine liquor is good for barter too. I also keep a small flask in the kit to offer bribes or pass time as needed. :D

As with anything - moderation is key.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Americaoverland has a good point on value :)
Gold silver is great to have but for me it's more long term controlled than emergency short term and if things are so bad ? That's a dif thread :)
But everyone has to pack what they want to be comfy

For me short term getting home no collapse of society
Basic lists with some modern currency would be my choice and always gun and ammo
Having kids a few luxury kid things and their fav stuffed animal

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I'm building a survival/bug out bag for myself, I've been teaching myself how to use the items and how to set traps (I would give up Veganism in a survival situation) I need to buy a backpack still but haven't found one I like or that is affordable/suitable so as of now it's in a nylon sling bag.

Here is what I have.
A compass
Fire steel
Two lighters
A small bottle of bleach.
3 Days of sealed sterilized water packets.
A 40oz Wide mouth stainless steel bottle filled with beans and rice
A few bags of nuts, a few Cliff bars, and some dried fruit
A few packets of peanut butter (For trapping)
15 multivitamins
Emergency blanket
Roll of duct tape
Pencil/Pen
Waterproof paper pad
A 10x10 nylon tarp
2 large thick black garbage bag
2 gallon sized zip lock bags
100 feet of 550# paracord
Climbing carabiner
Ball less 120db whistle
Signal mirror
Leatherman Blast
100 lux headlamp
Small 10 lux zipper flashlight
Spare batteries for both
4 10 hour glowsticks
Mil spec snare wire
80lb fishing line and fishing hooks
Small sewing kit
5 number 2 scalpel blades
Various size gauze pads
Alcohol wipes/4oz Hand sanitizer bottle
Tube of antiseptic cream
3 pairs nitrate gloves
Burn cream packets
Bottle of suntan lotion
Suture kits
Bottle of Excedrin migraine strength
Tweezers/Scissors
Ace bandage
Few hundred dollars (Want to add some gold eventually)
20 Ostomy bag changes
Seasonal clothing, warm hat/gloves/socks/boonie hat, etc.
Passport/old ID/birth certificate/social security card
Some important numbers

I want to add a Platypus water bladder and Katadyn water filter too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier