Survival Sack: When things go bad...

theksmith

Explorer
I'm building a survival/bug out bag for myself, I've been teaching myself how to use the items and how to set traps (I would give up Veganism in a survival situation) I need to buy a backpack still but haven't found one I like or that is affordable/suitable so as of now it's in a nylon sling bag.

check out rei-outlet, sometimes good closeout deals on backpacks

Basement Yeti

Explorer
check out rei-outlet, sometimes good closeout deals on backpacks

I have been popping into Army Navy stores to see what they have for Mole equipment, that is a good idea.

That is a great idea.....

That's what I have..... MUCH better than a condom! LOL!

Also I use a NATO style rucksack for my stuff. I think I paid >$30.00 for mine..... Works great for me. If you do use one, avoid the cheap ones, they're junk.

Oh cool, that is totally within my range and looks stout.

I have been getting lots of e-books and library books on survivalism as well as from survivalist forums. I'm currently trying to learn as much as I can about wild edibles in the desert which is where i'd bug out to in an emergency.

You can boil water in the canteen and cook in it but it also holds A LOT of calories if you combine it with wild edibles/game/ etc.

I try to follow the rule of 3s for my important functions. 3 forms of water purification, 3 forms of fire/warmth, 3 forms of shelter, 3 forms of obtaining food, 3 forms of mending wounds. etc.

Humans can survive fine without food for a few weeks to months, but you get in big trouble without vitamins and minerals and water, hence the multis. Grind em up and mix them into water, better absorption during starvation. I'll be adding more, maybe a powder form to save space/hassle.

Another thing I am going to add on my run to Home Depot is super glue. You can glue small to medium wounds together with it, make makeshift weapons stronger, patch holes in clothes and shelters, etc. Plus, some are very flammable. You can also use it to mend thoes platypus bladders. Also going to throw a few nails in there for traps and building shelter.

I just downloaded this chart that has degrees of declination, I folded it up and keep it in my BOB. I have memorized a few DODs for the areas I live and frequent often. I'm getting better at using my compass and topo maps. My next investment will be paper topo maps (I have been using my GPS).

I met a guy who keeps a small folding bike attached to his BOB for quiet escapes. He taught me how to make a bow drill, but that crap is wicked complicated and tough for fire.

Oh, I forgot to add I keep instant coffee and tea in my BOB. Everyone says it's weird but I just could not do without my coffee and tea even when SHTF.

Oh, one last thing, I just bought one of these to attach to my seat belt, every over lander should have one or two, or three! The window smasher looks kinda crummy so I am on the lookout for a better one I can lanyard to my seat buckle.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Swiss-Tech-BodyGard-5-in-1-Emergency-Tool/15135621

Last edited:

chet

island Explorer
I have a semi prepared bag in my cruiser that has basic things like change of clothes, mre's, fire starter, shelter tarp etc. funny thing is I was joking with my wife that she had more in here purse and it was true! Damn she could survive for a week on what was in there. 8 granola bars, 2 apples, 2 lighters, spare socks for her and our son, water bottle, knife and bunch of other crap! No wonder she has a bad back! :D

Lichen

Explorer
Anyone have any experience using this Bear Grylls "ultimate survival knife?" I'm thinking of getting one but would like to hear from more seasoned gear heads. Thx in advance!

Here's the link: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=784457

It may not launch automatically, so please copy/paste to your browser.

The link didn't work, but I bought the BG knife through Amazon.com. For the price, it's a pretty good deal. Not the best knife that I own, but the sheath with the fire striker and sharpening stone are nice touches.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Speaking of knife sharpening. I've removed my knife sharpener from my bag since learning how to sharpen a blade on a smooth rock. Good skill to have, even if you keep your sharpener, just in case you lose it. Nothing worse than a dull knife!

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Reminds me of the movie 127 hours... sure, you can sharpen a knife on a rock, but it had better be a good knife! (if you havent seen the movie... you should. Its pretty good!)

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Another thing I am going to add on my run to Home Depot is super glue. You can glue small to medium wounds together with it
So true! We used super glue all the time climbing to close cuts (we figured that out almost 20 years ago) and I've had them use it instead of stitches on ER visits.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
What proportion of this forum insists on firearms and camoflage with everything?!?!

Good thread though :)

I suppose all of you experienced lot know whats in it already, but

Cody Lundin's book

"98.6 the Art of Keeping Your *** Alive"

# ISBN-10: 9781586852344
# ISBN-13: 978-1586852344

is simple and good to the point you'll lend it to all your friends, and maybe keep it in the truck. I think it was there that I read the average rescue is three days, so any effort in carrying/hunting/killing/cooking food is a waste, you just don't (on average don't forget!) need to.

His emphasis, as the title suggests, is maintaining your body temperature. If you leap into action setting traps, but forget a fire and shelter from the elements, you won't last the night.

One thing I could add to the wealth of previous info, suggested in his book, is dental floss :) The stuff is bonkers strong, and a 30m roll once out of the box is teeny.

Happy travels

:)

Last edited:

theksmith

Explorer
I suppose all of you experienced lot know whats in it already, but

Cody Lundin's book

"98.6 the Art of Keeping Your *** Alive"

# ISBN-10: 9781586852344
# ISBN-13: 978-1586852344

is simple and good to the point you'll lend it to all your friends, and maybe keep it in the truck. I think it was there that I read the average rescue is three days, so any effort in carrying/hunting/killing/cooking food is a waste, you just don't (on average don't forget!) need to.

i actually have the SAS Survival Guide Handbook in my bag, it's 4.5" x 3" x 1", so it takes up little room and has practical survival info it, but i figured it also gives you something to read to help keep your wits about you instead of going mad while waiting for rescue. along the same lines i keep a new, unread jeep magazine in there all folded up.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Lately I have been honing my survival skills and mastering the items in my BOB. Since I live in my van I have started kitting my van out as a BOV, preparing it for a survival situation, even as just a non-mobile shelter.

I have been picking up extra tools every time I go to O'Reilly, and downloading technical manuals on my van, and reading up on maintenance/repairs. I need to learn how to change spark plugs, wires, and caps, and measure out the right gap, flush transmission, change filter, do brakes, tire rotations, and things like that.

Here is a partial list of things I want for my van. You will notice things I doubled up on that are in my BOB.

Spare Parts Required
Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner x2
10qts of Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic Motor Oil
1 Gallon of 50/50 Dexcool(Bought)
Serpentine Belt x 1
Spark Plugs x 6
Fuel Filter x 2
Spare Running Light(s) and Signal Bulb(s)
Slime Fix-a-flat(Bought)
Wire Ties(Bought)
Zip Ties(Bought)

Tools Required
Breaker bar and 22mm socket (Bought)
Socket Extensions for 3/4" and 1/2"
Spark Plug Gap Tool(Bought)
Digital Multimeter

Equipment Required
Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor
60w Solar Panel/MorningStar SSD-25/15' 10 AWG M4 Cable/12' Tilt Mounts(Bought)
1x Full Size Spare Tire and cover
Tow Straps, Tow Chains, and Tire Chains

Supplies Required
1 Gallon of Bleach (Bought)
1 Gallon of Dish Soap(Bought)
1 Gallon of Mouth Wash(Bought)
5 Tubes of Toothpaste(Bought)
Shampoo(s)(Bought)
Conditioner(s)(Bought)
Katadyn Combi Water Filter /Spare Filter
Gas Mask/Spare Filter
Ka-bar Kukri
Box of 40 Gallon Tough Garbage Bags(Bought)
Box of 1 Gallon Zip Lock Bags(Bought)
Peroxide(Bought)
Large Size Hand Sanitizer(Bought)
Various Size Gauze Pads
Duct Tape(Bought)
#2 Scalpel(s)
Suture Kit(s)
Burn Ointment Packets(s)
Latex Free Gloves(Bought)
Box of Lighters (Bought)
(Dry food, list to be determined)
1 Case of Water (Bought)

I am still honing my list and reading up a bit more. But I have acquired a bunch of stuff on it. The basics.

Weapons. I currently have no way to defend myself besides a hatchet and a pocket knife. I am researching the legality of compound bows, mace, and tasers until I relocate to a more gun friendly state.

Last edited:

Bogo

Adventurer
Forget mace, get a couple cans of true bear spray. Make sure it is rated as bear spray by the EPA or Canadian authorities. The cans are big, roughly 2" diameter and 8" tall and will shoot 25 plus feet and for 8 plus seconds. They need to to be effective against bears. Against humans they are much more effective than the small mace sprays. Note: Some mace compounds have zero effect on bears. The pepper spray used in bear sprays is one of the few that has an effect on bears. Get holsters for when you are hiking. When hiking in bear territory you want it available for use in seconds. You don't have time to dig in your pack.

Counter Assault bear spray at REI: http://www.rei.com/product/722005/counter-assault-bear-deterrent-spray-290g

For countries other than Canada and USA, check the laws. Many consider anti personnel and anti animal sprays a weapon. In fact Canada doesn't allow it's use against humans, but does allow it's use against bears and dogs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

For those with restrictions against anti personnel and animal sprays, get a couple cans of RAID wasp and hornet killer spray. http://www.amazon.com/Hornet-Killer-Ounce-94898JD-Category/dp/B0002ZW88K Sprays 20 feet and is quite effective when you hit the eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke