External hard drive for apple

burt

Observer
Anyone have any experience with any of the wi fi hard drives like the seagate for an ipad/iphone? For $200 for a tb it looks like you could have quite an extensive set of maps, movies, pics, ect with you out on the road. Im not quite sure if the idevice would need to be jailbroken or not. I would really be interested in being able to pre download a large area of motion x maps in good detail as well as have a selection of movies to watch. I also dont know if you would have to load the maps onto the ipad from the seagate before you could use them in motion x or if motion x could use the saved mapping from its location on the hard drive. I think if it worked well it would be very interesting to lots of folks here since the maps take so long to download.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a discouraging recent post that describes the trouble you will have connecting an iPad to an external HD via WiFi. DLNA (the peer to peer WiFi protocol) is not part of iOS or Android yet, so a special app is needed to access the drive, and the data is not transferable to other apps you may want to use.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/using-a-wi-fi-hard-drive-with-an-ipad/

"the bottom line is that not only can you not use these external drives to store applications or any application data, but you can't really even use them to store media content unless you're willing to play that content only via the limited set of third-party apps that will work with these storage devices."

ol' scott

Adventurer
A work around that I'm using is SD cards. Buy the Apple adaptor and several 32GB (or 64GB if you're rich) SD cards and put your media on them (you'll have to put them in the same file you'd put your pictures in and name them like pictures). Each file (movie) has to be put in the correct folder on the flashcard (the DCIM folder) and it must be named with 8 numbers or characters, no more, no less. It takes a bit of set-up initially but when I consider I have 128GB (~40 movies in SD) of media in my wallet without having to pay out the rear for tons of storage from Apple I always feel better. The worst part is the time it takes to transfer the media from your computer to the cards. The part where you transfer the media from the SD card to the iPad is relatively quick though. After you're done loading it onto the iPad you can unplug the card. Once you're done watching the movie you can just delete it off your iPad and download the next one. Just don't delete it off your SD card of you'll have to reload it onto the card again later. Since I'm sure there are more questions:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110314054357575

I looked at the external hard drive option and it just wasn't worth it to me. I don't want to carry around another hard-drive (already carry two usually) and grabbing the SD cards is always easier when I know I'm going to be in a car or on the bus/train for awhile.

Edit: I'm not help with the mapping part of your question, sorry.

Last edited:

burt

Observer
Thanks for the replies. They keep saying you can only use auxiliary hd space with a limited number of third party apps. Motion x and any of the other navigational aids would be third party so mabe I should ask them. Thank you ol' scott for the camera kit tip,that sounds good. Seems unlikely that mapping would work very good with that due to the strange name requirement. It's worth it for the easily moved around movies so I guess I could just mess around with mapping.

robgendreau

Explorer
It's really a PITA to use anything but SD cards for storage with an iPad, and even then not many apps support it. Generally only photo apps. I don't know of a mapping app that will allow you to use an SD card for storage, at least without jailbreaking. Really a shame.

The work-around is to make the iPad think the map is a photo, as outlined previously, then you can import it to say Goodreader. But it's probably gonna lose georeferencing, since it would only work with PNG or JPG or similar.

Something besides an iOS device would be a better solution if you need to do this.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ol' Scott,

Great work around. Quick question though... What media format does the movie need to be in? I know for example it won't support certain MS windows centric video formats.

TIA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz