NC Forest Road 187 trip

telemike

SE Expedition Society
Forest road 187 in Pisgah National Forest North Carolina.

Amazing 18 mile long one lane dirt road that follows a Ridge line. Lots of twists and turns, going up and down and all around. Some great overlooks on the mountains. Only saw some bikers, couple trucks logging and a lost minivan.

a9uvabah.jpg
ju2utabe.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

telemike

SE Expedition Society
a6a2eryb.jpg
qa8u2yzu.jpg
u4asu5am.jpg
5ega7y3u.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370128987426.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370128987426.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 29

telemike

SE Expedition Society
I think there is camping nearby in Mortimer. No legal camping on the road.

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Telemike - thanks for the link to this route! Think I'll check it out this weekend. May add a few other roads in there, as well. Looks like a million swithbacks!

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Was able to get out to the mountains today. Beautiful day and really nice recommendation on this mountain road.

Headed north on 187, then came back south on Brown Mtn Beach Rd. The drive on 187 was great. Really nice single lane road with a lot of really nice tight switchbacks - only saw a few other trucks on it so I was able to travel at my own pace and stop a few times to check out the views. In several places you can look over the edge and see a couple of swithbacks through the trees below and in a couple of places you're driving along a ridge.

DSC_0134.JPG

DSC_0158.JPG

DSC_0137.JPG

DSC_0147.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG
Obligatory poser pic.

Certainly worth driving this route if you're in the area. Thanks again for the info.

Attachments

• DSC_0134.JPG
    DSC_0134.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0147.JPG
    DSC_0147.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0153.JPG
    DSC_0153.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0165.JPG
    DSC_0165.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0163.JPG
    DSC_0163.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

GFA

Adventurer
I did it last weekend. From there we went to Mortimer and then kept going towards linville on Roseboro rd. We took a right into what's called Old House Gap rd on google maps but iirc, it's FS 109 on most maps. It was washed out in spots and required 4L in a few areas to keep it from being jumpy on the steeper spots. There were a few awesome primitive campsites along a stream I'd camped at nearly 20 yrs ago along that road. Old house gap turns into edgemont rd which we followed to 221 but then back tracked and followed more FS roads to blowing rock. All total it was about 70 miles off pavement.

I can try to map it on google if anyone is interested along with a better write up.

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Old House Gap rd on google maps but iirc, it's FS 109 on most maps. It was washed out in spots and required 4L in a few areas to keep it from being jumpy on the steeper spots. There were a few awesome primitive campsites along a stream I'd camped at nearly 20 yrs ago along that road.

Will certainly have to check it out. Do you know if it's still legal to camp along Old House Gap Rd? Sounds like a good family spot along the stream.

Last edited:

GFA

Adventurer
Legal, I'm not sure. There were people camping further up and there were several campsites throughout the trails. I used to camp there years ago with no issues but things sure have changed since then.

I'll be going back in November to explore some more, and camping if I find it's ok. Otherwise, we usually set up camp at grandfather campground and explore from there.

SB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles