billboards hauler: homebuilt fiberlgass composite popup for flatbed tundra

bphang10

Observer
i've been lurking on the expedition portal for a few years gleaning info for my own build am now well underway. what a process getting started. planning, making decisions, sourcing materials, spending more $, and finally diving in and making that first cut. implementation is the easy part!
here's the idea. i had a 1994 shadow cruiser popup on a 2000 tundra for 9 years and now for the last 4 years on a 2006 double cab tundra. i've spent 3-5months per winter in it, traveling the coast of mainland mexico in search of surf. each year i'd return home and modify to fit my needs. over the last few years, the mods are mostly done but more and more repairs are needed. parking for months at a time spitting distance from the ocean and salty air takes it's toll. over that time, i've also come up with what i thought would suit me better.
a few of my goals:
1. built for current truck
2. lightweight (see #1) and a bit smaller profile than current camper.
3. waterproof....much of the damage in current camper is caused from water leakage.
4. simple to maintain
5. build for flatbed
6. optimum function for my needs = lots of surfboard storage, solar system for camping long periods w/o power, enough fresh water storage and space to carry more, lots of ventilation as much of my camping is in hot weather, plenty of storage for long trips.

i'm building frameless with nida-core and laminating joints with fiberglass and polyester resin. i build surfboards and am comfortable with these materials. (www.billboardssurfboards.blogspot.com) much of the inside fixture will also be nida-core depending on how much stock is left. the rest will likely be birch ply and maybe a ilittle bit of paulownia that i have laying around. i'm trying to use as much fiberglass as possible due to it's ability to keep water out, and if water gets in there is no damage. also, repair is easy enough and something i can do personally. i know nothing about metal, just give me wood or fiberglass and i'm ok.

current setup :
IMG_6476.jpg

1st panel visualization:
IMG_1259.jpg

getting down to it:
IMG_1463.jpg
IMG_1460.jpg
IMG_1468.jpg

where i'm at now:
IMG_1531.JPG
IMG_1532.jpg
IMG_1536.JPG
IMG_1537.jpg
IMG_1539.jpg

that's all for now. picking up some new material tomorrow so i can move forward. i've got lot's of questions i'd like some feedback on and will get into that soon. getting this 1st post done was about as hard as making the 1st cut!

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Looking good!

You might want to consider making the rear wall/door opening more stout though...? It seems like some others who built pop-ups under estimated the amount of force on that rear wall with the roof opening and closing and the frame flexing. I don't know the strength of the nida core, or if it would be an issue but I'm just throwing it out there. I really like it so far!

bphang10

Observer
Looking good!

You might want to consider making the rear wall/door opening more stout though...? It seems like some others who built pop-ups under estimated the amount of force on that rear wall with the roof opening and closing and the frame flexing.

yep, i found that out as soon as i made the cut. kinda figured it would be flimsy with just 2" left above the door and based on how the frame flexed on my old shadow cruiser when the wind blew the door shut.
i took a 1 1/2" piece of nidacore and lammed it above the door at a right angle to the inside wall and it's pretty much taken care of the problem. i also plan on lining the top edge of he camper with 1/8" fiberglass extrusion(top and outside edge) which should add a bit more rigidity and hopefully be enough. i don't yet have the extrusion in hand, not sure how stiff it is, but it's supposed to be ready for pickup tomorrow.
here's a shot from the inside, you can see the reinforcement in place.
IMG_1483.jpg

pods8

Explorer
Cool.

I have to say if I was starting over on my projects I'd give pre-made panels as serious thought. They seem expensive until you factor in the materials/labor to do them yourself (big time on the time/labor part). Doing moderate glass work/shaping on edges verse the whole damn things is much more appealing in hindsight. :p

Technical nit pick, you mean pultrusion rather than extrusion when talking about FRP shapes, they draw them through (ie pull) as opposed to extrude (push). I used some 1/8" u-channel along the top of my cab over rails, in side/side bending it definitely was stiff on its own in up/down bending it would flex some until it was bonded to the structure then it provided the strength/stiffness intended. Are you using an angle shape or two flat bars since you mentioned the top and outside edge? I think a 1/8" angle will definitely stiffen things up the way you are hoping (assuming its well bonded which it looks like you're on top of).

You buying or building your flatbed?

DanoT

Observer
A very interesting looking build. Just wondering how thick are the pre-fabed walls and what R value?

jrfromafar

Adventurer
I'm in. This is right up my alley - lightweight & functional. Here's a guy that did a camper build out of foam & carbon fiberglass & Kevlar. I like the idea of Nida-Core, not just foam.

bphang10

Observer
I have to say if I was starting over on my projects I'd give pre-made panels as serious thought. They seem expensive until you factor in the materials/labor to do them yourself (big time on the time/labor part). Doing moderate glass work/shaping on edges verse the whole damn things is much more appealing in hindsight.
yep, a little more initial outlay of $ but when you get it you're ready to go. nida-core presents some issues dealing with edge trim and attachment points but it's quite doable. i looked into a lot of composite panels but few were interested in selling to me, and the few that said they would sell to me were sky high. i spent months trying to get panels. nida-core has been around and proven, and while i would not say easy to procure, i was able to custom order panels large enough so that each component of the camper is cut from 1 solid piece...no joints in the field.

Technical nit pick, you mean pultrusion rather than extrusion when talking about FRP shapes, they draw them through (ie pull) as opposed to extrude (push).
thanks for the clarification, i did not know the definitions of those terms. fiberglass structural shapes are another hard item to procure item. like the panels, talked to lots retailers who told me "sure we can do it, it would be special order, i'll get back to you". not. i looked a little closer and found the manufacturer is just over the mountain in bristol, contacted them, and they were happy to sell to me direct and i saved shipping costs. the product i'm using is extren 525 angle. picked it monday, may implement today.

You buying or building your flatbed?

i bought a flatbed about 3 years ago when i thought i was ready to get into this project, but it didn't happen. more on the flatbed soon.

bphang10

Observer
DanoT,
panels for the main shell are all 1". the roof is 1 1/4" for a little extra solar insulation, and some of the interior fixtures are 5/8". r value is listed as 3.3/inch. some other builds i've seen have used thicker material, but my footprint is small and interior components such as the cabinets and couch/board locker will also be laminated to the floor and wall adding stiffness. i'm quite impressed with the nida-core, the skins are pretty bomber and the it's got a bit of resilience. a pretty good hit with the hammer just bounces. at any rate, i'm confident that strength and insulation will be better than my old camper, and it's done ok itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke