New Trailer Idea

So, I'm a simple guy and for the most part, I like simple things. Packing my camping gear isn't simple so I'd like a trailer. Fitting gear into my trailer seems simple, so that's not my concern. Pitching my tent on the other hand, is not as simple as I'd like it to be, so I'd like to do so on top of my trailer.

That's what I'm thinking is the "new" idea. I'd like to have a regular 4 person tent (maybe just a simple Coleman) pitched on top of my smallish camping trailer. I think it would be great to have preset tie-downs to latch the tent to so I no longer have to worry about tent stakes and uneven ground.

FYI~ I can NOT afford a RTT...

The dilemma with this scenario is that most 4 man tents I'm finding have a footprint of around 7'x7' or 9'x9' (or something in between) and that's without a vestibule. That's a large footprint to unfold from a trailer that will likely only be 48" wide and 5' or 6' long.

Obviously a platform will have to fold off of the lid, but in my tiny mind the only way I can think to make that work is with the platform folding once off the lid, then again off of that, which makes the concept complicated, not simple.

So I'd love some feedback from the forum about creative ways to make this idea work.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
My Poor man's RTT a 7' x 7' expanded metal deck on my 101A2 trailer.
This trailer is big and the deck does hang over but it could be split in the middle and fold open.

Make it out of aluminum and it would be even lighter.
Although made from steel It was cheap and not extremely heavy. Two people can lift the rack from the cross bars.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...itary-trailer-to-build-a-family-hauler/page24

Attachments

• trailer deck 005.JPG
    trailer deck 005.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 30
  • trailer deck 004.JPG
    trailer deck 004.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 26
  • trailer deck 2 005.JPG
    trailer deck 2 005.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 27
  • trailer deck 2 004.JPG
    trailer deck 2 004.JPG