"The Hulk Gets Angry" aka stevenmd's RRC build

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Well, I've already done the official introduction of my truck a few months ago but never got around to doing an official build thread. A little history... I first got a 1996 DI, put on a mild lift and wheeled the heck out of it until it was on it's last leg. It was sad to see her go but The Black Widow had seen better days.

I found The Hulk (my kids name my trucks) when the PO was being sent to Japan for work. I thought his asking price was too high so I waited and waited, hoping no one would buy it. Then 3 days before he was leaving for Japan I made him a very low cash offer and he took it.

It currently has a 2" lift but it is old and sagging. Immediately after buying The Hulk my mind went into overdrive thinking about the "ultimate build". But after much thought and remembering that I live in California and the specific terrain we have here, I decided to "go mild not wild".

I have a 3" Rovertym lift and Old Man Emu shocks waiting to be installed.

Pic #1 - Christmas day / current state sans the tree...
Pic #2 - 33x13.5x15 super swampers waiting to be installed; I will also be trimming the fenders and adding Roccia fender flares
Pic #3 - Rovertrack rear HD axles waiting to be installed

Last edited:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I will post pics of the build as I add each component.

Pic #4 - Rovertracks HD front axles and Longsfield CV's
Pic #5 - Keith from Rovertracks (aka revor) - sorry Keith, couldn't resist...

Green96D1

Explorer
this will be good I'm looking forward to it.

Hulk is going to look pretty wild.

the swampers alone will change the look.

good thing is that you'll have bombproof set-up that even you can't

break.:jumping: lol j/k

Last edited:

KevinNY

Adventurer
Budget some wheel spacers, your probably going to need them if you want to turn even with the new wheels offset.

sven

Adventurer
I would highly recommend converting over to a LT230. That one mod alone transformed my LWB. Well worth it, especially if your spending $$ on axles, etc.

dallasrover

Adventurer
sven said:
I would highly recommend converting over to a LT230. That one mod alone transformed my LWB. Well worth it, especially if your spending $$ on axles, etc.

And there are some good deals to be had on them out there. Going to be a nice rig.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
KevinNY said:
Budget some wheel spacers, your probably going to need them if you want to turn even with the new wheels offset.
The rims are Trek and already have an offset.:26_7_2:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
sven said:
Yup, that is round 2. An LT230 was actually going to be the first thing I did but I got a good deal on certain parts that I pushed it back to round 2.

Round 2: LT230, GBR shafts (front and back)
Round 3: Rovertracks HD steering components and Roccia fender flares
Round 4: ARB fridge, RTT, DII 3rd row seat (1)

Of course, the rounds are subject to change as sometimes deals arise...:costumed-smiley-007

KevinNY

Adventurer
stevenmd said:
The rims are Trek and already have an offset.:26_7_2:

Confused, I do not see that size listed on the Interco website? I know they are more offset but a 15x10 is a wide wheel and a 13.5 is a very wide tire. See how it goes I guess.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
KevinNY said:
Confused, I do not see that size listed on the Interco website? I know they are more offset but a 15x10 is a wide wheel and a 13.5 is a very wide tire. See how it goes I guess.
I got a very sweet deal on the rims and tires. Yes, tires are larger than I originally wanted but we'll see. :Astrologist: I will double check the size after work tomorrow but I'm pretty sure they are 13.5".

astateofmike

Observer
Next thing you know, stage 7 will be the whole wrapping of the truck in a "Hulk" decal.

Then, when he has time, he can go all wild with the GPS, Radio, SatPhone, DVD player and flame throwers in the tailpipes.....

Since I know Steven, he had to expect I'd come along and rib him.....I just am hoping for his cast offs....:wings:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
astateofmike said:
.....I just am hoping for his cast offs....:wings:
Sloppy seconds parts...:shakin:

Hey Mike, I hope you plan on attending the Blue Lakes trip in July! Your truck is set up just fine.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
FedEx came by today!

Delivered a pair of RoverTracks HD trailing arms designed to hold the bushings at stock level with a 3" lift. As usual, thanks to Keith at RT for excellent service and fast delivery!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles