Zodi stove top water heater on a Coleman Duel fuel stove.... ?

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Picked up a used Zodi water heater a while ago and have been using it fine. However, all our other gear is Coleman & runs on gasoline.... was thinking of swapping the propane fired heater for a stove top version to save having to carry 2 fuel types on trips. Anyone using a stove top on a Coleman Duel Fuel stove... thoughts pls ?

Cheers,
Andy

perkj

Explorer
I don't think the dual fuel stove will produce enough BTUs for what the zodi stove top calls for...from the Zodi website: "This item is designed for high output single burner stoves similiar to the 35,000 BTU Camp Chef systems used by outfitters and base camps." I don't know of any coleman fuel/white gas powered stove that can product 35,000 BTUs besides the very old Coleman Handy Power Plant 457G (35000 BTUs) or 460G (55,000 BTUs).

What Coleman Dual fuel stove are you attempting this with? Zodi's base model propane set up is only 10,000 BTUs, so you may be able to "get buy" depending what Coleman stove you have....let me know the model number and I'll be able to tell you the BTUs.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I would think you could just round trip the water suck it out and pum it back in a jerry can till its the temp you want

as perkj said I have heard they are not for smaller stoves but they will work just wont get HOT but warm only

h4rdflip

Observer
Hi, Im new to the forum and I can't seem to find a water heater section, I don't mean to hijack the thread but has any of you ever heard of a water heater that use the truck/rv engine to warm it up. I first thought I could have the hot water going thru the engine coolant system to warm it up but then I realized that I could just coil a copper pipe around the header or exhaust pipe. I know it would cost more to run the engine the propane water heater but I could charge the batteries at the same time, what do you guys think tho.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Welcome :)

Search this forum with the word
Helton
You'll get lots info on engine hot water systems :)

Hi, Im new to the forum and I can't seem to find a water heater section, I don't mean to hijack the thread but has any of you ever heard of a water heater that use the truck/rv engine to warm it up. I first thought I could have the hot water going thru the engine coolant system to warm it up but then I realized that I could just coil a copper pipe around the header or exhaust pipe. I know it would cost more to run the engine the propane water heater but I could charge the batteries at the same time, what do you guys think tho.

buckshot500

Observer

I bought one of these, but haven't had time to install it yet. I did a lot of research on how to build a system. You'll also want to familiarize yourself with an anti scald valve.
http://www.amazon.com/B3-12A-Plate-Heat-Exchanger-Hose/dp/B0039WRQGC

There is a ton of info on this board about "On-board shower" in the search function.

h4rdflip

Observer
Thanks buckshot, this one seem alot more affordable then the $400 one I came accross first, although I built a hot tub heated with a wood stove a couple years back with copper pipe coiled around the chimney. I think it could be easier to work with in my case since the old RV shower is in the back of it but will it warm up fast or not, guess Ill have to check.

madmax718

Explorer
stacked plate heat exchangers. If you want the water to get heated faster, you can get a larger and thicker stack plate. Heavily used for waste vegetable oil conversions, and also cold areas to pre-heat diesel fuel to prevent gelling.

about 15 years ago (before zodi) I used a water pump (same as the one in the zodi catalog- red white and blue) and stuck it in a small bucket with a copper tube coil. (back when 3/8th copper was cheap!). Because the coleman backpacking stove was small, I used a small soda can, to wrap the 3/8th copper around for shape and went vertical to capture as much heat as possible. Within a few minutes the water in the bucket was warm enough for me. I then turned off the stove, and used the same output hose to take a shower. It wasnt great (low water pressure), but it felt good to be clean!

I think 6 liters of water in a good spray is adequate for showering. 8 is very nice, 10 is luxurious, anything more is just royal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior