156 KB · Views: 1,133
  • photo (27).JPG
    photo (27).JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 1,186
  • photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 16,178

docb14

I agree, that is awesome. I do have a question though which applies to not only this sweet rig but other ex military style vehicles. Who does the maintenance? It is not like there are parts at auto zone for that thing. I can only imagine how you would change out a water pump. I say this only b/c I have thought long and hard about getting an old 5 ton as it would be so much fun. Somebody is going to be the envy of the neighborhood with that!

BestofBoth

I agree, that is awesome. I do have a question though which applies to not only this sweet rig but other ex military style vehicles. Who does the maintenance? It is not like there are parts at auto zone for that thing. I can only imagine how you would change out a water pump. I say this only b/c I have thought long and hard about getting an old 5 ton as it would be so much fun. Somebody is going to be the envy of the neighborhood with that!

Well its actually easier than you think. The HEMTT is a us made in Wisconsin with Detroit, Allison, eaton etc. I do general wrenching, fluids, lube the chasis, wheels, tires etc, but over the past 3 years I had a truck mechanic help me install a fuel preheater/separator, block heater, alternator and some seals/bearing on my front left. If you start with a tight rig(mine had 10k on it when I bought it) your headaches will be less. The truck runs amazing -the 8v92 is hard to stop- and the Allison automatic makes it like driving a big pickup.

I bought a combat cd that explains in detail all the maintenance, parts etc so if you have a part number/nsn then most part stores can help you or get it in a day or so. Oshkosh defense has actually helped me on a couple specialty questions! The us military has manuals that is made for a 18 year old to understand- right down to which way to turn the key to start it!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Very nice rig. You say you built this in 09? I remember seeing one in the Aspen area, but I would swear it was back closer to 06/07 timeframe (because that was when I lived there.) I wonder if someone had a similar rig. Did you used to have a vent that went from the cab to the camper? If I am not much mistaken the one in Aspen had some odd thing running across there.

Anyhow, very nice looking vehicle, and I like the choice of camper on top. Best of luck with selling it!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I logged close to 8k miles across southern Europe in one of these while in the Army and they are fun to drive, that is until you have to change a flat. But they are easier to drive than one might think. Glad to see the cold starting issues have been addressed with the heater, we spent many mornings spraying ether into the intake to get it started.

BestofBoth

Very nice rig. You say you built this in 09? I remember seeing one in the Aspen area, but I would swear it was back closer to 06/07 timeframe (because that was when I lived there.) I wonder if someone had a similar rig. Did you used to have a vent that went from the cab to the camper? If I am not much mistaken the one in Aspen had some odd thing running across there.

Anyhow, very nice looking vehicle, and I like the choice of camper on top. Best of luck with selling it!

Yes it was 2009, but what you explained did sound like mine. The rack up top was one large rack with diamond plate on the sides which some people thought was a connector/vent. I shortly thereafter changed the rack to what you see now. Thanks for the interest!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Thank you. I guess I must have seen it on one of my subsequent trips after I moved to Utah. Oh well, still a fantastic vehicle. Thank you for sharing it with us, and I wish you success selling. To me it seems like a very good deal. Minus my three children who would not fit. If I were beyond the child age and ready to travel yours would be the perfect tool. I suspect few roads in Africa could stop that thing!

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
:drool:

lol i just showed to my wife last night. did not even see the sale add til tonight. to bad im a broke man...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles