The Ute II: E350 RB 7.3 ZF6

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Looks Great! What's going on top of your deluxe box?

Thanks for the comp's!

So far boards and bikes are planned for the rear rack. I'm on fence w/r/t whether or not to carry Jerry cans or fit an auxiliary tank where the spare used to live. I like the lower CG of the aux tank but am feeling lazy...

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
I like that color.

I was going to go with the Merc blue-grey, but then went to a local show and saw "Audi Nardo Grey", paint code LY7C:

audi-rs6-avant-4g-40tfsi-australia-67.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Damn!!!!!! Wow, look at that thing. Looks great.

And so does that Avant..... :drool:

I need some pics for the site!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the comp's!

So far boards and bikes are planned for the rear rack. I'm on fence w/r/t whether or not to carry Jerry cans or fit an auxiliary tank where the spare used to live. I like the lower CG of the aux tank but am feeling lazy...

Over the years I've wheeled from the hills in california, deserts in arizona, nevada, utah, w. va, tn, pa, maine, etc etc, and I have never ever EVER had to bust out any of the jerry cans I always carried. Personally I've come to regard them more as weighty decoration rather than useful gear. At best I might carry a single can, and probably empty, as a place to maybe catch fuel in the unlikely event I rupture my fuel tank. Might. Maybe. Mileage of others may vary, and if I was contemplating retracing the Baja 1000 course or something I might reconsider, but for your general U.S. style "expedition" (if there really is such a thing in the U.S.) I find them more dead weight than anything.

In the 30+ yrs of wheeling I've done the most use they've ever served is to feed the generator in the stupid big 5th wheel that my city bread wife considers camping.

Not sure what I'm really saying here. Maybe a back-handed vote for the aux tank? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Thanks for the compliments! Funny thing is, I didn't plan to keep the same paint scheme as the the Ute I. Seems fitting now.

Over the years I've wheeled from the hills in california, deserts in arizona, nevada, utah, w. va, tn, pa, maine, etc etc, and I have never ever EVER had to bust out any of the jerry cans I always carried. Personally I've come to regard them more as weighty decoration rather than useful gear. At best I might carry a single can, and probably empty, as a place to maybe catch fuel in the unlikely event I rupture my fuel tank. Might. Maybe. Mileage of others may vary, and if I was contemplating retracing the Baja 1000 course or something I might reconsider, but for your general U.S. style "expedition" (if there really is such a thing in the U.S.) I find them more dead weight than anything.

In the 30+ yrs of wheeling I've done the most use they've ever served is to feed the generator in the stupid big 5th wheel that my city bread wife considers camping.

Not sure what I'm really saying here. Maybe a back-handed vote for the aux tank? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hear you. Jerry cans are also a messy PITA...

The Aux tank is the way to go. A local wrecker has a pile of them, definitely leaning that way. Here is an image of a fitted OEM tank:

top_truck6_zps26d26538.jpg

Looks great!

Almost to nice for the intended purpose?

Did the paint shop spray the door/window jambs?

Maybe, but what do they say? "Every girl's crazy for a sharp dressed van"?

10-4 on the jams, can't stand it when they don't match. Did Chateau get shafted yet? ;)

QCAuto

Observer
Anything I should know regarding trans and speed plug ins etc, how is your speedo run, did you use anything to correct?

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Anything I should know regarding trans and speed plug ins etc, how is your speedo run, did you use anything to correct?

My VSS is on the rear axle (Sterling). There is a VSS on the ZF6 but the wiring on my 1996 used the rear axle as well (not sure what year they changed it to the tranny).

The signal is ~9% off (35" tires) and I plan on using Chris's signal correction box for this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles