Military vs Conventional Trailers

Nonprophet

Observer
I've been using my Wildernest camper for several years now, and really like it. However I recently sold my Tacoma, and now I have a RAV4 and an FJ80, so I'm entering into the expedition trailer world....

I've looked over several build threads--really is amazing what people are fabricating! I recently purchased a custom-built 4x6 trailer with RTT, and as I'm thinking about customizing it to my needs I've been wondering if I should pour time and money into what I bought to set it up how I want it, leave it alone and enjoy it as it for awhile, or, buy a military trailer at auction and do my own build from there. While the production trailers are nice, I really don't want to have more than a couple grand into a tent and trailer total.

My experience to date with military trailers has been that while they're built hella tough, they're also heavy, awkward pigs sometimes too. My last one was an M116A2. It was nice: aluminum bed, surge/coupler brakes, leveling jacks front and rear, lots of tie-downs and super stout, but, it was also a real pain in the rear to move around because it was so heavy, and, for its total weight versus its rated load capacity was pretty lame. i used it mainly as a firewood hauler/utility trailer. There were times when space in someone's back yard where there was free firewood was too tight to turn my Tacoma and the M116A2 around--so I would pull in, uncouple, pivot the trailer, and re-couple. Even empty the M116A2 was a bear to move around--it was very tongue-heavy and just a heavy, awkward trailer. And I'm not a small guy, 6'3" 280.....And for all that it was only rated to carry 2500lbs! About a year ago a neighbor was selling his 6'x10' utility trailer made here by a local company (Sturdybuilt). Let me tell you, the difference between the two trailers was night and day! I can easily (i.e. one hand) move the new empty trailer around, its rated to carry a 3,500lb load, has a fold down mesh ramp/gate, and it's balanced so nicely that I can even load it with 3/4's a cord of hardwood and still tow it easily with my little 4 banger RAV4!

So, while I'm thinking about the M101/M416 4x6 military trailers as a starting point, I'm more than a little skeptical about their weight vs. load rating. I know they're built hella tough, but the truth is 8 times outta 10 I'm just going to be using it on logging roads and not anything too extreme. What do others think about military vs conventional for a build?

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
I think it depends on what you can find locally. If you can get a good deal on a little 1/4 military trailer, then why not? Same goes for a conventional one. If there's a good deal out there, and it will work for what you want it to do...

shogun

Adventurer
its rated to carry a 3,500lb load, has a fold down mesh ramp/gate, and it's balanced so nicely that I can even load it with 3/4's a cord of hardwood and still tow it easily with my little 4 banger RAV4!

Yea, 3500#. I've got this bridge...

Those home-depot trailers are the ones you always see on the side of the road with the wheel broken off arent they?

A mil trailer wont break. They gross out before they cube out, deal with it. You can (mildly) increase the spring load rating. The M101 is too big for off-roading with your car, its a 416 or nothing at that size.

Septu

Explorer
Yea, 3500#. I've got this bridge...

Those home-depot trailers are the ones you always see on the side of the road with the wheel broken off arent they?

A mil trailer wont break. They gross out before they cube out, deal with it. You can (mildly) increase the spring load rating. The M101 is too big for off-roading with your car, its a 416 or nothing at that size.

The Canadian M101 is basically a better version of the M416. I think you're thinking of the M101A2 that is a 3/4 ton, vs the CND M101 which is a 1/4 ton.

RagnarD

Adventurer
As you said, mil trailers are tougher and heavier. My M101A3 is 1300 lbs empty and I am still adding to it. I will say that I would probably just build a trailer from scratch if doing this again. By the time you do the lights, axle, tongue conversion, wheels, tires, etc you are pretty much at the cost of building one. I tried to lighten up the trailer but only ended up reducing the tongue weight enough that I can move it around in the driveway while empty. For a 1/2 ton this trailer is fine, not sure I would want to pull it behind something smaller without swapping the axle to one with electric brakes.

I will say that the 3/4 ton rating for the M101/116 trailers is BS for hwy use. I believe the axles are 7K (8x6.5 and 3" diameter). I believe the weight rating is for offroad use at 55 mph, it is much higher for hwy use with different tires.

Flashole

Adventurer
I'm wrapping up my M416 build and if I were to do it again, I would just build one from scratch. I think I could do it as cheap or cheaper and probably quicker.

Pikeman

Adventurer
I have the M101A2, The 2500lb weight rating is cargo combined with empty weight of 1250 gives gross weight rating of 3750. That is highway rating and then a little less for cross country. My 24 years experience in the military has taught me several things, they way under rate everything because they know soldiers will way overload everything.

As someone already said it depends on what is available in your area(or area you are willing to travel). I picked up my trailer for 210 at auction and spent another $380 for a 3500# axle with electric brakes(normally $280) with parking brake option(+$90) and matching lug pattern. This means I am $600 into a trailer worth more than I am into it. Also you currently have the RTT so you would only need to make a bracket to mount on the new trailer. I will agree that the CDN M101/M416 is a much better size weight but they are harder to find and usually fetch a premium price.

There are a few great builds on here of the M101, Mark Harley, robert fulsom are two that come to mind.

The Canadian M101 is basically a better version of the M416. I think you're thinking of the M101A2 that is a 3/4 ton, vs the CND M101 which is a 1/4 ton.

I wanted a 1/4 ton military trailer after seeing several of them being towed here and there. I have a CJ 5 and though I have no problem loading it with my gear for several days of camping I thought it would a great way of storing my gear and having it ready at a moments notice. That and I think they just look cool well used. Hey, why is the CND M101 better then the M416, cause it is made in Canada? :elkgrin:

Septu

Explorer
Hey, why is the CND M101 better then the M416, cause it is made in Canada? :elkgrin:

Not quite. When I asked that question, I was told that they basically took what was wrong with the M416, and made it better.

These are the two answers I got from Steel Soldiers.
CDN M101 is better built, and well reinforced. It is what the next generation M416 trailer would of been if Uncle Sam would of kept the design. I love mine. Out of all the trailers I own, I actually use my CDN M101 the most.
The CDN M101 took most of the faults (Not that there are many, but a few) of the US M416 and fixed it. Square "tube" on the top of the bed. No provisions to float it, but 4 drain holes. Beefier frame. thicker bed. Tiedowns in the bed. Sling/tie down points from and rear. Reinforcements on the bed. Those are the major ones.

Last edited:

Arlo

Adventurer
"nonprophet"
"So, while I'm thinking about the M101/M416 4x6 military trailers as a starting point, I'm more than a little skeptical about their weight vs. load rating. I know they're built hella tough, but the truth is 8 times outta 10 I'm just going to be using it on logging roads and not anything too extreme. What do others think about military vs conventional for a build?"

Well, this Gentleman got stuck with a broken frame in Mongolia.

14788010hl.jpg

This happend to a Takla Makan offroad trailer. It should be only an example for your remaining 2/10th. :coffee:

Military trailers are no light weight made, that's right. But they are even more resistant against tongweight penitration on rough roads.

Try to use aluminum for the upper construction up from the framework.

The M's are great for sure but a Sankey will do the same or more.

Please have a look at:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/92979-Sankey-Tent-Trailer?highlight=Sankey

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I love the M116A2...just consider it a "fresh clean slate" for what you want to build.

You can get rid of the pintle/ brake and chuck a 3" dia. new electric brake axle under it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne