Buying My First Truck

FB88

Hello!!!

I have been searching this site for a while now and and just posting for the first time, it's a great site guys. At the end of this month I will be purchasing an early to mid 90's Toyota pickup. Now even though this is my first truck, I am not new to trucks or Toyota's for that matter, so I already know most of what to look for. My main goal is to have a reliable DD, so obviously when I purchase the truck I'll be doing a major tune up on it to make sure everything is in working order. Once that is done and when money permits I'll be upgrading the truck little by little. My question to you all is for a DD that I'll use for the occasional camping and fishing on the weekends what would be the first things to upgrade? I figured lockers and a good set of tires would be up high on the list. I am a fan of wider wheels and big tires, but for this application I would like for the vehicle to be useful and not just look good.

fowldarr

Explorer
Sounds like you are on the right track. Good tires baseline your maintenance, and drive, lockers are not a necessity, I understand they are nice, but I have never had them.

FB88

Good Point, I'm just trying to figure out what I can improve that would be considered a weak spot on these trucks.

mosovich

Observer
I think some of the older Toyotas are so hard core they don't need anything.. Also, I wouldn't go crazy with tire size as it'll put more strain on the truck and lower your gas mileage.. I'd go for major tuneup and slowly recondition it.. My neighbors got a mid 90's and it looks stock and he's never had any problems with it off road..

FB88

Oh I know, my dad purchased a 1992 single cab new off the lot and he only got it stuck once in all the years lol, I just want a good all around tire possibly slightly taller/wider than stock. this truck will mostly see pavement as it will be my DD, but it will see the occasional camping and fishing trip.

Wainiha

Explorer
Tune up and maintenance first, then tires. No point in anything else if it is not reliable.

Then maybe look at the skid plates and reinforce them, get some sliders depending on how hard you will wheel while camping.

If you are just running back roads I'd use stock skids, skip the sliders and look at a shell or just your general outfitting for enjoyable camping.

Don't forget a first aid kit too. Utility light would be nice for lighting up your campsite.

As for wider wheels...you may want to search about that. The are quite a few arguements on the topic. Here has I thread I think. I know TTORA does. Lots preferr the skinnys if you are not in the sand all day.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
If you are shopping for 90s models of truck, there are three models you'll run into: the "Truck", the Tacoma and the T-100.

The "Truck" was built until part way through the 1995 model year.

1995-Toyota-Tacoma-4WD-Xtracab-1024x640.jpg
Toyota Truck

It's a tough, compact truck available in regular or extended cab, 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmissions, and a 2.4L 4-cylinder or 3.0L V-6 engine. The 2.4 is generally the preferred engine of this generation, even though it doesn't have a ton of power output. The 3.0 has a bad reputation for blowing head gaskets and doesn't have all that much extra power output for its increased weight. It also has a timing belt instead of the 2.4's chain, increasing the need for maintenance. That being said, some people are very satisfied with their 3.0's. It's just not one of Toyota's better engines.

Part way through 1995, the Tacoma was introduced:

1996_Toyota_Tacoma_Regular_Cab-2.jpg
Toyota Tacoma

It's slightly lighter-duty than the "Truck" but has a great new set of engines as well as a complete interior and exterior re-design. The Tacoma engines are the 2.7L 4-cylinder and the 3.4L V-6. The 2.7 is a great engine and has about the same power output as the 3.0 V6 in the "Truck" while being lighter and more fuel efficient. The 3.4 has a great reputation, as opposed to the earlier 3.0, and has nice power output, including impressive low-end torque. The 3.4 does have a timing belt, however, slightly increasing maintenance over the 2.7. The Tacoma with the TRD off-road package (1998 and newer) includes a electric rear differential locker (look for the large "TRD" sticker on the back of the bed sides).

You may also come across the T-100. This is a larger truck than the "Truck" and Tacoma but has a similar platform. It used the engines from the Truck and Tacoma, depending on year. It was introduced for the 1993 model year.

163_0804_02z+preowned_toyota_t100+front_view.jpg
Toyota T-100

Once you have selected your truck, I would focus more on maintenance than on modifications. They say that capability has more to do with the skill of the driver than the vehicle. Spend time learning and practicing technique rather than spending money on modifications. Wide and large tires can make the truck less capable--they reduce your power and braking ability.

Good luck!

Last edited:

FB88

I'll be buying the truck, hopefully with the 22re. like mentioned above my father purchased a 92 strait off the lot and still has it with well over 400K on it and it's still chugging along just fine. I'm not trying to be in a drag race or anything so the power output of the little 22re is just fine for me. I just finished scrolling through the thread about using skinnier tires and it peaked my interest as it seems that there are some added benefits to running a skinnier tire, but first things first I have to actually find a good truck to start off with and I won't have the funds till end of the month, so until than I'll be searching and twittling my thumbs until I have my rig in the driveway :ylsmoke:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Uhp, sorry about the whole buyer's guide post then.

I love the styling and durability of those 3rd-gen Trucks. I have a thing for those 3-spoke steering wheels on the SR5s.

3602785344_30beaece37_n.jpg

And it's tough to downplay the stardom of the 3rd-gen 4wd:

i019892.jpg

Please post pics when you find one!

Toyotero

Explorer
Tanglefoot pretty much gave you a complete guide to 1990s Toyota trucks.

Be sure to do all the regular old truck checks... Check the frame for rust, especially if you live in an area where the sale the roads in winter. Don't be afraid to poke rusty spots with a screw driver. If it pokes through the rust and out the other side, keep holding out for a solid Yota.

I've owned both the old "Hilux" model Toyota truck (4Runner) and a Tacoma, and I'd recommend getting the Tacoma if you can. I'm happier with the Tacoma power/weight and the suspension design than what the old trucks have.
The 2.4 liter 22R-E 4 cylinder put out about 105 hp.
The 2.7 liter 3RZ 4 cylinder makes 150 hp.
You'll be glad to have it if you are towing up a hill or want to pass on a 2 lane highway.

FB88

Tanglefoot pretty much gave you a complete guide to 1990s Toyota trucks.

Be sure to do all the regular old truck checks... Check the frame for rust, especially if you live in an area where the sale the roads in winter. Don't be afraid to poke rusty spots with a screw driver. If it pokes through the rust and out the other side, keep holding out for a solid Yota.

I've owned both the old "Hilux" model Toyota truck (4Runner) and a Tacoma, and I'd recommend getting the Tacoma if you can. I'm happier with the Tacoma power/weight and the suspension design than what the old trucks have.
The 2.4 liter 22R-E 4 cylinder put out about 105 hp.
The 2.7 liter 3RZ 4 cylinder makes 150 hp.
You'll be glad to have it if you are towing up a hill or want to pass on a 2 lane highway.
Thanks for the input, I'm choosing the pickup over the taco for the simple fact that in my area Taco's go for so much more money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles