4x6 Cargo off road farrier build 285s

oatesequine

964752_624870823670_136153432_o.jpgIMG_20120522_160154.jpg20130521_161653.jpg20130504_181636.jpgHey guys. Man the amount of cool projects and ideas on this site is just awsome!

Little about me. I'm a farrier in Ohio working with horses feet everday. Own 08 dodge ram 1500 with 285s, have an 1987 tin top suzuki samurai on 31s which is my toy for off roading and camping and a new build for me I've done a lot to it and still going!

Heres why I'm here, I have an older 4x6 enclosed trailer that I have hauled my tools around in for 6 years. I just over the weekend started the process into making it over agian and wanted to go with the off road rig design for two reason number one its what I love, and number two when the trailer no longer works as a work rig I can swap it right over to an off road one! I've Added the two side door to the trailer and all the inner workings for me to preform my job.

My questions:

Do you think and or is anyone running a 285 on a 4x6 enclosed? Anything close to that even 33"s?
If I did run the 285s to match my truck just so I only carry one spare!

I'm going to order a new axle with matching hubs both my dodge ram and samurai are 5x5.50, my question is should I measure that existing axle or should I mock up tires and measure for the fitmit of them?

Thanks so much for your time and advice!

This is how it looks after paint this weekend
964752_624870823670_136153432_o.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Get your rims and tires stand them beside the trailer with ample clearance on the sides.
Measure the flange to flange spacing between the rims mounting face and measure the pin to pin spacing for the spring seats.

With your measurements order the axle with the correct lug pattern.

oatesequine

Thanks Mark that will be the plan!

Do you think the 285s are going to swamp my little trailer far as looks go? I hate to run a differn't tire but don't want it to look awful.

oatesequine

Yeah Ill do someting, only issue is the side door on driver side it barely clears the fender as is.........

3/4 fender maybe the fronts take tons of abuse from snow and salt in winter why not toss it right on the tire.

oatesequine

Big Guy, cowboy and I spoke in a PM while back he is running 33s on that rig.

there are two other 4x6 builds but can't find what tire size they are running.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
Okay. I kind of thought that's what they might be, but didn't want to say they were and then find out they were bigger. I've got the 285x75x16 on my FJ which are right at 32.8".

oatesequine

when you spring over a trailer can you just flip the axle? What about the curve to the axle won't that effect tire wear and bearings?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior