Tent heater for the Springbar Vagabond 7

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
So, I want to get something to heat my monstrous tent. The options I've seen are; Mr. Heater, wood burning stove, forced air furnace (seen on the AT site), make a rocket stove and plumb it into the tent and trying to find a used Zodi.
This is how I see each of those options:

*Mr. Heater would be very simple, but I don't trust running it in the tent, due to products of combustion and low O2 levels. I know that it has an O2 sensor, but I don't want to trust mine and my families life to it. What are your experiences with them? Does anyone run them inside the tent all night? If so, how do you do it safely?

*Wood burning stove; I'd have to cut into the roof to make a pipe jack, put something on the tent floor that is non combustible, and leave a door or window partially open so that there would be good airflow. This seems like a lot of work, but doable.

*AT forced air heater; this seems like an awesome option, but WAAAAY to many green backs for me. I have seen the same basic set-up for less, and that may be the way to go.

*I saw a rocket stove on a thread on here, and it looked pretty cool, just really big. Does anyone have plans for a smaller unit, or does it need to be that size to work efficiently?

*The Zodi seems like it would be just about right, but I've read that they stopped making them because of problems with the fan, and they recalled it. Does anyone have any experience with one? Care to sell it to me?

Questions:
#1 Are there anymore options that you can suggest?
#2 What are some of the pros/cons as you see them?
#3 Since it's safe to run a wood burner inside a tent, why isn't it safe to do the same with a Mr. Heater?

brentbba

Explorer
I run my Mr. Buddy heater in my Springbar. I do not leave it on all night however. I'll turn it on when I'm just about ready to go into the tent for the evening to cut the chill/cold and shut it off when I crawl into my sleeping bag. In the morning, I'll just brave what cold there is to turn it on again and crawl back in my warm bag untill the heater is doing it's job. Simple enough, but I dont' have young kids to worry about - just my old bones.

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
from the other thread
I used it both ways on all night and just before or when we get up to take the chill off
in both canvas and synthetic tents
always leave a bit of a window open no matter what on our canvas tent
on our SP it has some small roof vents
our dog gets cold so we now run it all night if it is going to drop below 40 or so so she does not shiver all night ! and run it off a large propane tank

thought it was here someone used a carbon dioxide sensor one of the home batter ones ?

sure is nice being super warm and toasty in the morning IMHO really makes the day start nice being warm

COJeeper

Observer
Yep, I am the rocket stove guy. You can construct it smaller you just need to make the heat capture box and baffles smaller. But you need the length of the stack to keep the draft. My design is not really that large. It over built it. But it accomplishes several purposes at the same time. Forced air heat safely away from the tent, Hot water coil and cooking on the stack.
I use it all fall and winter. Simple, free fuel, and saves space on stove, propane and hot shower system.
Build one!!!!

JKMikey

Observer
I'm looking at going with the propex heatsource. Yes, quite expensive, but with the size of my trailer, and the winter camping I want to do soon, I think it'll be the best option for me.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Mr. Heater inside Kodiak, run it all night on low hooked up to bulk tank. Vented the tent at the bottom and top. Mr. Heater recommends 9 sq. inches of ventilation. Worked so well, wife commented that in our 10 years together it was the warmest night she recalls. Indeed, that night I had no use for the sleeping bag. haha. We had a baby and a toddler and they were toasty all night. For extra insurance we pack a CO alarm with digital display. No problems and sensor never indicated any CO particles whatsoever.

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
I agree, I love a warm tent when it's cold. This should extend my trips considerably.
from the other thread
I used it both ways on all night and just before or when we get up to take the chill off
in both canvas and synthetic tents
always leave a bit of a window open no matter what on our canvas tent
on our SP it has some small roof vents
our dog gets cold so we now run it all night if it is going to drop below 40 or so so she does not shiver all night ! and run it off a large propane tank

thought it was here someone used a carbon dioxide sensor one of the home batter ones ?

sure is nice being super warm and toasty in the morning IMHO really makes the day start nice being warm

Willman

I run my Mr. Buddy heater in my Springbar. I do not leave it on all night however. I'll turn it on when I'm just about ready to go into the tent for the evening to cut the chill/cold and shut it off when I crawl into my sleeping bag. In the morning, I'll just brave what cold there is to turn it on again and crawl back in my warm bag untill the heater is doing it's job. Simple enough, but I dont' have young kids to worry about - just my old bones.

Ditto here!

Dawgboy

Adventurer
I've survived many years with a mr. Heater or a kerosun radiant 40 in Kodiak 10x10 the Kero heater is by far the "better" heater, but it does have a little stink. Its not getting much use any more as Kero has become more expensive than propane.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94