Best Offroad GPS unit

Jvdkooij

Observer
I am using GPS Trip recorder, it is possible to upload GPX tracks if you already have one, or create your own while driving,
I like it so we can see where we have been. Specifically usefull when scouting for a new trip we want to organize :D

Bandalore

I use my handhold Garmin, but wouldn't mind a car mount unit with bigger display and use 12V power.

Well Garmin's devices are one of the best of all gps trackers. I do use Oregon 700 Garmin gps device for navigating in fields and unknowing woods. But I do updated it with a custom gps software. Do not have anything against Garmin factory gps maps software, but there is a lack for reporting option for me. I do have some cases when I give my Garmin to family friends for using. That's nothing bad at all with this but I afraid to loose my beloved device. My solution - to track a gps tracker :D Installed a gps tracking software by www gpswox.com . There is an option to see live reporting of device location on a computer.

I have a gamin 7 inch screen it is pretty old now. I don't really use it any more. My one issue with it was that there was a discrepancy between the topo and the street map. when you overlay one with the other they don't align even though the streets are on the topo. IT is an irritating thing small perhaps but still very irritating

rayra

Expedition Leader
I grew up as back seat navigator, with paper maps and almanacs. Lot of family road travel. So paper is still my primary. But I am much enjoying trying several offline digital topo off-road map apps on a dash-mounted 7" android tablet. Great for zooming in and out of an area and marking or flagging things of interest in the area. I'm very much liking the map importations with Backcountry navigator. It's very similar to the old Garmin importer. And I have my Garmin handheld along too. One is None, Two is One, Three is for me. Water and maps and communications, redundancy is good.

Stryder106

Explorer
I use the Lowrance Elite 5-HD Gold (which is the updated Baja 540c - but is now a few years old). I use the Topo West trail card for SW US - so far it's done everything I've asked of it. I do have a mini-iPad that I'm figuring how to best bring into the mix to get some of the newer tech and satellite mapping.

Dalko43

Explorer
Delorme Inreach explorer w/ iphone mounted to my windshield has worked well for me. Garmin's iphone app (earmate) allows you to download 4-5 different map layers for the US, thought it doesn't provide step-by-step navigation instructions, you can use the Delorme GPS to provide your location for other navigation programs or apps.

I have 3 different handhelds and have many apps on iphone and tablet but I must say I am a fan of the accuracy with a Lowrance when on the trails. I am using an Elite 5 HDI right now but an going to upgrade to a HDS gen3 soon.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ still using my old Baja 540C. Waiting for Lowrance to release the new code for Gen3 units to PCI so they can do their topo map stuff (typical paranoid/overprotective Lowrance...Gen 3 is different code/language than previous gensets).

dstock

Explorer
I have 3 different handhelds and have many apps on iphone and tablet but I must say I am a fan of the accuracy with a Lowrance when on the trails. I am using an Elite 5 HDI right now but an going to upgrade to a HDS gen3 soon.

I'm curious how well their marine products work for trail duty, since this one is listed as a fish finder/chart plotter? Of course I love the idea of it working in multiple environments.

I had a marine chart plotter I think it was a 10" screen ( this was several years ago probably 2009) hard mounted into the space below the radio in an old chevy truck it worked very well and the set up was excellent. The only problem was with the truck I had this suspension that was supposed to get rid of the torsion bars and convert it to coil overs. It was the worst money I ever spent. Driving that truck was the most horrendous thing ever.

best gps lowrance

here are pictures of my chart plotter from lowrance

Attachments

• chevy truck.jpg
    chevy truck.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 31
  • gps.jpg
    gps.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 36

fike

Adventurer
Bad Elf GPS Pro with an IOS device and your mapping software of choice (I use Gaia). Bad Elf is small and makes amazingly accurate and detailed tracks with a waypoint EVERY SECOND! Very impressive unit.Can be used as a real time GPS helper to an IOS device (I think android too) or as a tracker that downloads GPX files for overlay in something like Gaia.

https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-2200-detail

dstock

Explorer
here are pictures of my chart plotter from lowrance

Nice! Thanks for the info! I hear you on the suspension, hate it when an upgrade turns into a downgrade!

As much as I'd like to go with the a tablet solution, in the Jeep direct sun when the roof is open/off makes it pretty much impossible to see, whereas with a dedicated device like one of the outdoor units Garmin, Lowrance,etc., the displays are much brighter.

Tool_Man_Taylor

I have a surface pro 4 and just ordered a bad elf gps. What programs do y'all suggest using, I'm mounting this in my 15 4runner for a trip I'm going on in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles