Best Offroad GPS unit

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
They can work great. But, have there limits. There are many apps that can downloaded. Especially useful are the ones that allow different map sets like 12k topos. Being able to download those are extremely helpful when off the beaten path.

They can work great. But, have there limits. There are many apps that can downloaded. Especially useful are the ones that allow different map sets like 12k topos. Being able to download those are extremely helpful when off the beaten path.
But the GPS on the iPads will be able to track you when out of signal range?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Most definitely they can track you when you don't have cell signal. And can plot you directly on to the topo you downloaded before you left.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
But the GPS on the iPads will be able to track you when out of signal range?
The iPads thatvarr capable of getting cell service have GPS and the GPS will work with no service. The wifi models have no GPS and require an external GPS receiver. The accuracy should be within a few feet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

spressomon

Expedition Leader
FWIW, Just don't leave it in the sun. Used my iPad Air2 for a while for dash nav system ... it shuts down completely if it accumulates too much heat.

RobRed

Explorer
FWIW, Just don't leave it in the sun. Used my iPad Air2 for a while for dash nav system ... it shuts down completely if it accumulates too much heat.

This can def happen, esp if you are running a protective case. Pull it down and run AC air on it or at least run defrost vent cold air to help it :)

I only had it happen twice in 5 years but my newer mounting setup, where the radio lives, has not had issue.

And for those with iPad questions - check the link in my sig for the iPad FAQ.

Dsimages

Need tablet that works in sunlight

I've read this whole thread but no one has brought up the issue I'm having with sunlight. Being in desert racing for 15 yrs, I've known nothing but the lowrance units. But I'm not the owner of the Trophy Truck (million dollar racecar) so I can't afford to buy the same units run in the truck. I just purchased a YXZ side X side & did research for a great gps. I needed to be able to view the terrain like a Google earth view. Wanted to be able to see all the little "goat trails" as I am driving. Along with dropping waypoints for danger spots. I ended up using my 7" Samsung Tab and purchasing Backcountry (a whopping $12). Got it all setup in my living room & it worked perfect. Exactly what I wanted. Even better that the ones in the race truck. Just had to select a block of terrain & download it for offline use. I selected a huge area. Cause I didn't know how far we were gonna ride. Anyways, it worked awesome. So I decided to fabricate a custom dash mount for it to make it look like a stock option on my YXZ. Spent 2 days on it but it looked so good. Now it's time for our trip. We get out in the desert and I can't see a thing. It's just too bright outside to be able to see the screen. My YXZ has a roof so it wasn't even direct sunlight. I even fabricated a sunshade on the mount but still wasn't enough. So my question is if there is a tablet out there that is as bright or brighter than a stand alone gps? I'm not looking for "it's pretty good". I've researched tablets and mine is rated as one of the brightest but it's only about 50% of what I need. I'm curious if anyone has experience with a tablet that bright light hasn't been an issue with. I'm bummed because this setup was perfect otherwise. I even had it wired into my intercom system so I could listen to music too. So if anyone knows a solution or super bright tablet, please chime in. BTW, my brightness was turned all the way up.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
one quick question, did you have the tablet hardwired? sometimes, on battery they automatically dim the display to save battery.

Dalko43

Explorer

That's why I'm not a fan of relying 100% on an iphone or ipad built-in GPS. As good as those devices are (I use mine quite a lot for road navigation) they are still fragile electronic devices relative to the more dedicated Garmin and other GPS units. If you're going far off the beaten path, outside of cell range, you should have a dedicated GPS unit that can at least pull your location so you can plot it on a map. The ipads might have similar durability ratings at some point in the near future, but for now they just aren't there.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
That's why I'm not a fan of relying 100% on an iphone or ipad built-in GPS. As good as those devices are (I use mine quite a lot for road navigation) they are still fragile electronic devices relative to the more dedicated Garmin and other GPS units. If you're going far off the beaten path, outside of cell range, you should have a dedicated GPS unit that can at least pull your location so you can plot it on a map. The ipads might have similar durability ratings at some point in the near future, but for now they just aren't there.
A current iPhone will be able to track your location 100% even without cell signal since it doesn't rely on cell for GPS function. I drove from Arizona to California through the Mojave desert and had tracking and way point reference the whole way.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I've read this whole thread but no one has brought up the issue I'm having with sunlight. Being in desert racing for 15 yrs, I've known nothing but the lowrance units. But I'm not the owner of the Trophy Truck (million dollar racecar) so I can't afford to buy the same units run in the truck. I just purchased a YXZ side X side & did research for a great gps. I needed to be able to view the terrain like a Google earth view. Wanted to be able to see all the little "goat trails" as I am driving. Along with dropping waypoints for danger spots. I ended up using my 7" Samsung Tab and purchasing Backcountry (a whopping $12). Got it all setup in my living room & it worked perfect. Exactly what I wanted. Even better that the ones in the race truck. Just had to select a block of terrain & download it for offline use. I selected a huge area. Cause I didn't know how far we were gonna ride. Anyways, it worked awesome. So I decided to fabricate a custom dash mount for it to make it look like a stock option on my YXZ. Spent 2 days on it but it looked so good. Now it's time for our trip. We get out in the desert and I can't see a thing. It's just too bright outside to be able to see the screen. My YXZ has a roof so it wasn't even direct sunlight. I even fabricated a sunshade on the mount but still wasn't enough. So my question is if there is a tablet out there that is as bright or brighter than a stand alone gps? I'm not looking for "it's pretty good". I've researched tablets and mine is rated as one of the brightest but it's only about 50% of what I need. I'm curious if anyone has experience with a tablet that bright light hasn't been an issue with. I'm bummed because this setup was perfect otherwise. I even had it wired into my intercom system so I could listen to music too. So if anyone knows a solution or super bright tablet, please chime in. BTW, my brightness was turned all the way up.
If you run the lightest window tint available on your windshield you will have a great view of your tablet and less heat in the truck. May be illegal in some states...

deserteagle56

Adventurer

Agree 100%! Last month, in an act of total stupidity, I managed to roll my Yamaha Kodiak ATV on a steep mountainside. It tumbled about 50 yards before ending up in a deep gully. My Montana was in its cradle on the handlebars as per normal and took the brunt of the impact each time the quad rolled. Amazingly, once I cleaned off all the dirt - had to dig out the grit that had become lodged up under the edges of the screen - it worked just fine.

Which is more than I can say for myself...still recuperating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles