Best Offroad GPS unit

RobRed

Explorer
Updates are 1hz.

For me I preload maps before I leave the house.

There is no reliance on a cell signal. It is not required in any way.

verdesardog

Explorer
I would recomend a garmin etrex20, small, reliable, inexpensive........uses 2 AA batteries or can run off the car's 12 volts.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
This thread seems pretty flushed out, so forgive me in adding a resource that might be helpful and an observation.

While a bit dated, this link gets into a solid rubric for evaluating needs and apps, answers questions about iPhones and GPS integration, along with tips for power management and use. If you have iPhone hardware rendered obsolete by new iterations, it may be worth resurrecting it since the iPhone 4 and up need no cell service nor Wi-Fi to function, just to initially download the mapping data.

Boost Creep

Adventurer
If you don't wanna commit to an iPad (and although I own one, I gotta say that Android may have it over Apple on this because of the ability to attach external GPS receivers at a higher refresh rate)

i have an external gps receiver for my ipad and it works just fine. connects via bluetooth

Willeman

Observer
Here is my take, based on extensive off road adventures in areas with little or no cell coverage.

1. 3g/4g apple devices work on aGPS (Assisted GPS), and rely heavily on assistance from cell towers. Mostly, they will work out of cell range but its hit or miss and it can take 20-30 minutes to update (and from first hand experience sometimes they never update). If your going to be in areas of good/fair cell coverage then you do not need an external GPS device, however the minute your off the cell grid your going to wish you had one.

2. There are ton of GPS options. My favorite is the Bad Elf GPS pro - its Bluetooth and it will connect up to 5 devices ($130-150 bucks). Use it with an old iPad mounted in your vehicle when driving and with a phone when you go overland by foot - its a real champ! (about $150 from online resellers such as eBay.)

3. Software/aps There are a ton of options, and again it falls to your needs. My favorite is GAIA Pro ($29.00), GAIA has a large selection of map types and layers and you can toggle between the layers (google, USGS topos, Road maps et). It makes it very easy to move from hard top to backcountry and navigate both on foot or vehicle. The important thing to remember is if your off the grid, your programs are only as good as the maps you downloaded to your device before you go off grid and maps eat space. With GAIA, you can pick your regions and map types so it gives a high degree of flexibility.

A few other things to keep in mind if your seriously going remote.

1) Anything with a battery, or moving parts can and will fail. I recommend that your carry a back up hand held GPS - Garmin or the like.
2) Old school is still the most important school. I also carry a compass and paper maps (topo 1:24,000), you can download topos from the USGS, pick them up at your local gear spot or order them directly online. The key is having some idea where you are and the direction your heading at all times. You'd be amazed how many people run with GPS and have no idea where the are. The second GPS is gone, they are lost lost lost. At the very least you should have an exit strategy -i.e. the hard top is 20 miles east of my position - in a pinch you work your way east with a compass....et.

Good luck and high adventure to you brohiem!

Last edited by a moderator:

RobRed

Explorer
Responding to Willeman's post above....

1. Your understanding AGPS and Apple devices is not correct. In no way are you required to have any cellular data service to use the GPS functionality on cellular equipped iDevice. Native GPS chipsets are present. Some apps require cellular to retrieve mapping but there are plenty of offline cacheable apps that don't. Please read my FAQ on the topic so you are better informed.

2. Great recommendation for the Bad Elf. If you have a non-GPS iDevice or other it's a great way to get the functionality. I also recommend.

3. GAIA is a great app and I recommend Motion X GPS HD (not Drive) as well for offroad Nav.

Great advice about having backup navigation. Using most cell phones or tablets on Full GPS track will kill the batteries quickly if not powered externally. Paper and compass can save your life.

robgendreau

Explorer
I agree.

A phenomena I seem to be seeing is that some people are at a complete loss on how to navigate even though they have working GPS. It puzzled me until I realized that their problem was that they didn't have the maps. Perhaps they were out of cell range and their device couldn't connect and download a map, or they couldn't/didn't use something that could download a map for later use, and didn't understand that the app they were using did not have maps preinstalled for where they were traveling (something I can sorta forgive folks for, since many app sellers kinda hide this fact, or aren't outdoors oriented and assume a perpetual connection to wifi or cell).

I doubt anyone reading here would have that problem, but even fairly experienced travelers I've encountered don't seem to be able to grasp that without a map on their device, and without a paper map, that their GPS device can still be used to navigate. We encountered this with someone who wasn't aware he could record a waypoint, instead of a track, the result being he quickly drained his battery. When all he needed to do was turn it on and off a few times to get all the location info he needed. You don't always need a track when you're traveling on roads, trails or along other known features; an occasional marker is probably enough.

A

agavelvr

A phenomena I seem to be seeing is that some people are at a complete loss on how to navigate even though they have working GPS.

All too common unfortunately. I see a lot of people navigating by GPS that are nothing more than a motorized version of a mule train going down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

In my truck, the navigator enjoys the duty of manually laying a track in our gazateer with ball point pen :) It keeps you engaged with the map, revealing things in the "neighborhood" you may miss if using the ipad, etc. The tech is handy when you want to zoom in close for detail and is wonderful at documenting a trip, but never the sole source of navigational aids.

A

agavelvr

Thats a great way to teach people navigation. I need to do this for the girlfriend. what gazateer do you use?
Usually benchmark. Sometimes USFS 1:24k in book format. Delorme for the states benchmark doesn't cover. Baja Almanac for Baja.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Back up for the back up

image.jpg
I also use a Garmin 62 on foot, a Garmin 660 Zumo on the dual sport bike, and a Garmin 296 in the airplane.
My iPhone has the Garmin nav app as well.
As back up mapping I use an aviation app, Foreflight, gives me mapping from an aerial point of view with many features not found on land based charts. I also carry a back up power source just in case.
Am I annal? Possibly...
Only got lost once before Gps, hunting in Northern Ontario...bad bad feeling.
Trial and experience will dictate what you end up with to suit your personal requirements.
Cheers.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
No matter what you have, if you can't read terrain, and use the devices, they are useless. I think im going with the monterra for my ATV/motorcycle device.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
No matter what you have, if you can't read terrain, and use the devices, they are useless. I think im going with the monterra for my ATV/motorcycle device.

I read your signature line a few times in the past but just realized now that you are from Newfoundland, "No such thing as bad weather...." Newfoundland is the only place in the world where I have seen 50 knot winds with zero-zero in fog. Quite a feat !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles